Hill: Gregory Suspended At Least One Year

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Name one pot head player who has.
The two Williams in Minnesota are the last ones I recall appealing a drug related suspension to the courts. Otherwise its usually physical abusers and cheaters who appeal to the court system.

Not that Gregory would win, but F the NFL, that's why.

I guess Mike Pennel filed one on a substance related case but eventually settled and dismissed it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Yeah, I assumed this was coming the day before our playoff game.

So how exactly does a year suspension work? Does he get credit for the playoff games he is missing this season? Or does he just automatically have to sit out all of next year? Playoffs included? He should definitely appeal this decision.
Frankly I don't even care. Just chalk it up as a wasted draft pick and move on. There are other players available via the draft with similar skills but with none of the headaches.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I think it's exactly just that... he will be eligible to play again 1/6/2017. The thing I don't like is the "at least" part? What does that mean? It's a year unless he has further violations? Or is he gone a year minimum and he is then eligible to return at the commissioners discretion?
My guess is he's in the same boat as Aldon Smith where he has to apply for reinstatement. Therefore even after the one year suspension is served, it's not a given that he'll be allowed to play again. Might as well just say "suspended indefinitely"....but not in the Duke Grayson Allen way.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
My guess is he's in the same boat as Aldon Smith where he has to apply for reinstatement. Therefore even after the one year suspension is served, it's not a given that he'll be allowed to play again. Might as well just say "suspended indefinitely"....but not in the Duke Grayson Allen way.
I just read that he can apply for reinstatement on November 26th.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Fucking sickening. Let's deprive a guy of his living for ingesting a plant.

But hey, if the pharmaceutical industry was making money hand over fist plying him with prescribed pills, it would be FINE!!!

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Frankly I don't even care. Just chalk it up as a wasted draft pick and move on. There are other players available via the draft with similar skills but with none of the headaches.
Exactly.

The league is totally full of shit and the only reason they have these nonsense rules are because of PR reasons, but it's where we're at.

There are at least 3-4 really strong DE prospects that could be available when we pick that should be able to come in and give us what Gregory gave us right off the bat.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The organization knew the league rules when they drafted Gregory and they knew he had a history with pot. They need to recognize their bad decision and move on from him. The lawmakers will have to deal with the legal issues.

1bigfan13

Staff member
The organization knew the league rules when they drafted Gregory and they knew he had a history with pot. They need to recognize their bad decision and move on from him. The lawmakers will have to deal with the legal issues.
Exactly. Even though many of us bemoan that “it’s just pot” everyone knew the federal government and league’s policy on pot when they decided to take a risk on the guy.

It’s tantamount to a company hiring a person who has a long well-documented history of sexual harassment and bigotry, then being surprised that the person is constantly being referred to HR for EO violations.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
So now a guy with demons in his head and pot as his crutch has a year off.

I don't expect that we'll ever see him play for Dallas again.

If the league feels that pot is so bad, they should have more of a support system in place. Maybe monitor them more closely, test more frequently when they have multiple violations...or how about this? Actually approach the player's mental health and honestly try to help him. Laying a kid off for a year is essentially telling them "sink or swim". Which is easy enough to do I suppose if you don't already have psychological issues...which Gregory has admitted he battles with.

The league has gone all-in on the concussion protection now that the years of neglect came to surface. It will likely take a similar backlash to impact any kind of change to the way they handle pot.

Sucks for us as fans, as he was a much needed spark the last couple games. But even worse for him, having to deal with his own mental issues and the fact he ruined his career trying to self-medicate.

2233boys

Not So New Member
I think it's exactly just that... he will be eligible to play again 1/6/2017. The thing I don't like is the "at least" part? What does that mean? It's a year unless he has further violations? Or is he gone a year minimum and he is then eligible to return at the commissioners discretion?
See Aldon Smith, this way the Man, Roger Goodell, can show he is powerful in stuff.

I still don't get how he is suspended for a year if he in fact missed a test because he was in rehab.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
the guy is going to go into a second contract and only played about 6 games. The only way we can really bring him back is if he takes a contract very similar to his rookie year deal and gets counseling. This guy worked himself out of roughly 15 million dollars already given he wont get anywhere near a 2nd year deal for pass rushers in the NFL, he better come back with his head on straight.

And no IDGAF if players smoke pot. Rules are rules, abide by them at your job.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
the guy is going to go into a second contract and only played about 6 games. The only way we can really bring him back is if he takes a contract very similar to his rookie year deal and gets counseling. This guy worked himself out of roughly 15 million dollars already given he wont get anywhere near a 2nd year deal for pass rushers in the NFL, he better come back with his head on straight.

And no IDGAF if players smoke pot. Rules are rules, abide by them at your job.
The sad thing is the vast amount of players who do smoke weed but never get busted. It's not a matter of if you can smoke weed in the NFL. You just can't be a retard about it.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Carl Lawson!

Taco Charlton!

Takkarist McKinley!

Charles Harris!
Yes to all, specifically McKinley or Taco Charlton. Should have a pick of a bunch of nice DE/DT's in this draft. Should be fun to watch this defense grow

Top Bottom