4 in custody after mentally disabled man tied up, tortured on Facebook Live

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think we can all agree that those sick assholes need to have the book thrown at them and that this should definitely fit the bill as a hate crime. But to try to pin this on the media and the Democrats is a reach.

Some of you sound like the clowns who blame video games and music after a mass shooting occurs.

Some people are just dumb fucks who will do dumb shit no matter what. By the looks of their mugshots, those 4 animals have probably done a ton of other despicable and illegal things in their life.
I'm not blaming the democrats, but I believe the media most certainly plays a part. At times, they have almost glorified crime. It's sickening, and I'm sure it has at least something to do with it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'm not blaming the democrats, but I believe the media most certainly plays a part. At times, they have almost glorified crime. It's sickening, and I'm sure it has at least something to do with it.
How have they glorified crime? Honest question because I'm drawing a blank on specific events.

Cotton

Staff member
How have they glorified crime? Honest question because I'm drawing a blank on specific events.
Just the simple act of calling a thuggish riot a protest in one way. It makes it sound like it's not a criminal act. Then they caption the pictures of the "protest' with "Citizens in Oregon standing up for themselves" or some such similar nonsense.

townsend

Banned
Just the simple act of calling a thuggish riot a protest in one way. It makes it sound like it's not a criminal act. Then they caption the pictures of the "protest' with "Citizens in Oregon standing up for themselves" or some such similar nonsense.
If you google, "citizens of Oregon standing up for themselves"

Every single result is about the Bundy protest. If you google Oregon riot, every single result is about the Portland protest. So maybe you are inferring spin where there is none.

2233boys

Not So New Member
I think the media is culpable for a lot that goes on in our society, by the way the report things and don't report things. They dictate the mood of the country in how they spin a story or what stories they choose to promote and all for profit.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I understand what you're saying. But as I mentioned a couple of months back to Phil after the election....people like you want protestors to protest peacefully like MLK. Ideally it would be nice if that form of protest worked more often, but as I pointed out back then, even MLK grew frustrated and mentioned that his nonviolent method of protesting was only getting him empty promises. So marching silently while holding picket signs isn't always what it's cracked up to be.

I've been fortunate enough that I've never lived in a bad/rough community. So I can't begin to understand the frustration that some of those people endure on a daily basis. Communities reach a tipping point of despair and as we've seen, communities explode.

As an aside, I've never understood why people riot and tear up their own neighborhood.

All that said, I do know for a fact that there are some who are just out there rioting just to be rioting.* Trying to get free stuff and whatnot.

Honestly they could call it a riot and I'd be fine with it. They called the LA and Watts riots "riots" and those incidents were ignited by circumstances that are similar to what we're seeing these days.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Staff member
I'm not sure why all those stars appear in my post. Maybe because I copy pasted from my phone.

I'll fix later.

Cotton

Staff member
If you google, "citizens of Oregon standing up for themselves"

Every single result is about the Bundy protest. If you google Oregon riot, every single result is about the Portland protest. So maybe you are inferring spin where there is none.
My post was arbitrary. I had no specific event in mind.

Cotton

Staff member
I think the media is culpable for a lot that goes on in our society, by the way the report things and don't report things. They dictate the mood of the country in how they spin a story or what stories they choose to promote and all for profit.
Absolutely.

Cotton

Staff member
I understand what you're saying.* But as I mentioned a couple of months back to Phil after the election....people like you want protestors to protest peacefully like MLK.* Ideally it would be nice if that form of protest worked more often, but as I pointed out back then, even MLK grew frustrated and mentioned that his nonviolent method of protesting was only getting him empty promises.* So marching silently while holding picket signs isn't always what it's cracked up to be.

I've been fortunate enough that I've never lived in a bad/rough community.* So I can't begin to understand the frustration that some of those people endure on a daily basis.* Communities reach a tipping point of despair and as we've seen, communities explode.*

As an aside, I've never understood why people riot and tear up their own neighborhood.**

All that said, I do know for a fact that there are some who are just out there rioting just to be rioting.* Trying to get free stuff and whatnot.

Honestly they could call it a riot and I'd be fine with it. They called the LA and Watts riots "riot"and those incidents were ignited by circumstances that are similar to what we're seeing these days.
This is dangerously close to condoning what they are these riots. I know you aren't nor ever would condone such activity, so I know that's not what you're implying. That's only because I know the kind of person you are. If I didn't know you, I could see this being translated as an empathetic approval of people looting because they are animals. My point is, they should call it a riot if people are destroying and stealing other people's stuff. Don't try to soften it with peaceful implications to fit an agenda that they are justified.

townsend

Banned
I feel like there's a cycle of violence that occurs between oppressors and oppressed. Because one can continuously blame the other for acts of retribution. Any place where an us vs. them mentality builds up is going to probably start causing atrocities on both sides.

Cotton

Staff member
I feel like there's a cycle of violence that occurs between oppressors and oppressed. Because one can continuously blame the other for acts of retribution. Any place where an us vs. them mentality builds up is going to probably start causing atrocities on both sides.
And, in my opinion, the media perpetuates that us vs them mentality. They damn sure don't do anything to dissuade it.

townsend

Banned
And, in my opinion, the media perpetuates that us vs them mentality. They damn sure don't do anything to dissuade it.
I'll agree with that. Everything in the news. Particularly the Network News is geared to make you angry or afraid. I think they learned sewing discord is worth a lot more than being informative.

Cotton

Staff member
I'll agree with that. Everything in the news. Particularly the Network News is geared to make you angry or afraid. I think they learned sewing discord is worth a lot more than being informative.
Don't think there isn't also a political agenda playing a factor in how they "report" the news.

townsend

Banned
Don't think there isn't also a political agenda playing a factor in how they "report" the news.
I really think there isn't. Chasing ratings is its own allegiance. Cable news is resorting to more or less the political equivalent to cutting to a car chase to keep people from changing the channel. It's not news at all, it's upsetting spectacle that's just as giddy about reporting cops have been assassinated, as it is about unarmed people being murdered by cops. Obviously the MSNBCs and Foxs have their own personal spin to pander to the dumbest of their base. But spectacle wins above everything else.

1bigfan13

Staff member
This is dangerously close to condoning what they are these riots. I know you aren't nor ever would condone such activity, so I know that's not what you're implying. That's only because I know the kind of person you are. If I didn't know you, I could see this being translated as an empathetic approval of people looting because they are animals. My point is, they should call it a riot if people are destroying and stealing other people's stuff. Don't try to soften it with peaceful implications to fit an agenda that they are justified.
The point I was trying to make is that it's easier for people to ignore peaceful protests; which is exactly what Martin Luther King experienced.

There were hundreds of anti-police brutality/BLM protests that took place peacefully without incident throughout the nation. But obviously the media doesn't highlight those protests. Because no one is tuning in to the 6 o'clock news to get an update on thousands of people protesting peacefully. Nope. Violence and mayhem sell in America. So the handful of protests that erupt into violence are the ones that get the national media coverage. Fair or foul, that's the way the media works.

Therefore I can understand why some protests morph into riots. There's usually more coverage involved and people in positions of authority are more prone to taking action on the issues at hand. Obviously this doesn't apply to every situation but I think it's fair assessment of why some communities riot.

Cotton

Staff member
The point I was trying to make is that it's easier for people to ignore peaceful protests; which is exactly what Martin Luther King experienced.

There were hundreds of anti-police brutality/BLM protests that took place peacefully without incident throughout the nation. But obviously the media doesn't highlight those protests. Because no one is tuning in to the 6 o'clock news to get an update on thousands of people protesting peacefully. Nope. Violence and mayhem sell in America. So the handful of protests that erupt into violence are the ones that get the national media coverage. Fair or foul, that's the way the media works.

Therefore I can understand why some protests morph into riots. There's usually more coverage involved and people in positions of authority are more prone to taking action on the issues at hand. Obviously this doesn't apply to every situation but I think it's fair assessment of why some communities riot.
But, that lends itself to my point. The media shouldn't be that way, and it hasn't always been that way. It's only been in the last 20-30 years that the media has gone from a civil service type thing to a money-making empire. If the media just reported everything without bias, the riots that are focused on wouldn't seem so glamorized.

Top Bottom