Who would you rather face?

• Giants, then Packers, then Lions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Packers, then Lions, then Giants

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Drew Bree's stats dwarf Aikman's, so is Brees a better passer than Aikman?
Yes. The whole idea to being an NFL quarterback is to advance the ball toward the goal line via a receiver and ultimately score more points than your opponent. The league keeps statistics on them to see who is accomplishing the respective task. The numbers reflect who is doing the best job as a "passer". It is not an evaluation of who has the strongest arm or who can hit the most difficult target or even who is the strongest and can run the fastest or even who is winning the most games. It determines who is the best passer. The passing statistics make that determination regardless of personal preference.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yes. The whole idea to being an NFL quarterback is to advance the ball toward the goal line via a receiver and ultimately score more points than your opponent. The league keeps statistics on them to see who is accomplishing the respective task. The numbers reflect who is doing the best job as a "passer". It is not an evaluation of who has the strongest arm or who can hit the most difficult target or even who is the strongest and can run the fastest or even who is winning the most games. It determines who is the best passer. The passing statistics make that determination regardless of personal preference.
If you believe Brees was a better passer than Aikman we can't continue this conversation.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
A rookie QB has never played this well before so we are sort of in uncharted territory. Certainly if an NFL team goes 13-3 and has the top seed you expect them to win a game. But at the same time if this team had gone 10-6 this season and been a wild card we probably would all hail it as a success. Dak has raised the expectations of the team so substantially from the beginning of the season, it seems a bit unfair if he now fails to meet those high expectations in a playoff game.

In the end I'd put it in the same spot as the 2007 season. Excellent regular season, disappointing end and hopeful that we can compete for a long time with a young talented signal caller.
It would be tough to blame Dak as a rookie, but theres really no excuse to lose a playoff/SB at QB with Romo sitting there.

My worry is the defense, specifically with Lawrence banged up and Gregory gone at the end. We desperately need speed off the edge to run down Rodgers when he scrambles...Gregory would have provided that.

I know the D has really stepped it up but they are the biggest liability IMO to a SB win.

Cotton

Staff member
Stats stats stats. I do not give a shit about stats. Brees isn't half the passer Aikman was.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Stats stats stats. I do not give a shit about stats. Brees isn't half the passer Aikman was.
Since you apparently are not through, allow me to put this back on the track. The issue isn't who is the best Quarterbacks. My original statements were centered only on one topic. That being who is the better "passer" not to be confused with the best Quarterback. The only way to judge the passer is to look at the passer's stats. It just so happens that virtually all passes are done by the quarterback. It not intended to define the quarterback rather to define the passing aspects of the quarterback.

It started with Ravi's comment about Romo and Prescott were better "passers"than Aikman and statically it is true. Again it's not a judgement of who is the better quarterback.

Cotton

Staff member
Since you apparently are not through, allow me to put this back on the track. The issue isn't who is the best Quarterbacks. My original statements were centered only on one topic. That being who is the better "passer" not to be confused with the best Quarterback. The only way to judge the passer is to look at the passer's stats. It just so happens that virtually all passes are done by the quarterback. It not intended to define the quarterback rather to define the passing aspects of the quarterback.

It started with Ravi's comment about Romo and Prescott were better "passers"than Aikman and statically it is true. Again it's not a judgement of who is the better quarterback.
This is where you are wrong.

Cotton

Staff member
I have asked if there is another way to evaluate. It the only way I know of the judge the effectiveness of a passer.
My eyeballs.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I have asked if there is another way to evaluate. It the only way I know of the judge the effectiveness of a passer.
What stats makes the difference in judging who is the better passer?

Which ones are you using?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What stats makes the difference in judging who is the better passer?

Which ones are you using?
I use the passer rating. It's the combined production of the passer. It factors in several aspects of the passing game.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Stats can't really be used to judge players across generations.

Comparing 2013 Drew Brees to 2016 Aaron Rodgers?

Sure, use stats, although it still won't tell the whole story.

Using stats to compare players 20-30 years apart is completely idiotic considering how the game changes over time.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Stats can't really be used to judge players across generations.

Comparing 2013 Drew Brees to 2016 Aaron Rodgers?

Sure, use stats, although it still won't tell the whole story.

Using stats to compare players 20-30 years apart is completely idiotic considering how the game changes over time.
Probably true but the instant case discussion was a camparison of Aikmam , Romo, and Prescott. The statistical conclussion is that the passers ratings Dak and Romo are ahead of Aikman. In fact Aikman never attained in any season the overall averages of Prescott or Romo. That isn't saying who is the best Quarterback but is is conclusive as to the passing comparison. As far as I know the criteria for passer ratings has been the same for all.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Is it ironic that people keep trying to use stats to convince me that Dak is as good as or better than Romo, but don't want to use stats in a Brees vs Aikman debate?

Shall we ask Alanis Morrisette?

Also I'm guessing I'll get a lot of push back on how the debates are somehow different (they aren't).

Cotton

Staff member
Is it ironic that people keep trying to use stats to convince me that Dak is as good as or better than Romo, but don't want to use stats in a Brees vs Aikman debate?

Also I'm guessing I'll get a lot of push back on how the debates are somehow different (they aren't).
You haven't seen me use any stats to support my argument.

Jiggyfly

Banned

I don't see that happening here.

It's only one person using stats for an argument and that is the same person who did not want to use stats in the Dak vs Romo argument.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I use the passer rating. It's the combined production of the passer. It factors in several aspects of the passing game.
Yet when Daks passer rating is used in an argument against Romo you have an issue with it.

How does that work here?

Cotton

Staff member
Yet when Daks passer rating is used in an argument against Romo you have an issue with it.

How does that work here?
Next time he does it, use this gif.

townsend

Banned

Says the guy who was trying to throw shade because of a slight dip in Dez Bryant's production over half a season. You're perfectly happy to try and bring out stats when you think they agree with you. It's just stats, also known as quantifiable data, doesn't agree with you. So they must be bad.

Also if someone is comparing QBs of two different eras by stats it's not the same as comparing two contemporary QBs. It's like comparing a college QB's production to a professional's, it's a completely different game.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

How does that work here?
My position in that regard has always been about experience needed in post season. You are using the wrong approach here. I have never used stats in the Romo vs Dak in post season.

Top Bottom