Hill: Gregory Suspended At Least One Year

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
At least those fucks didn't wait until next week to do it while we were actually preparing for a game.

It sucks but it's not a huge immediate concern as I'm not even sure he would be active in the playoffs assuming Lawrence can play.

Obviously it sucks for next year but I had already written the guy off in many regards to begin with.

Re-sign McClain and roll with these 7 as your base going into the draft/free agency: Irving/McClain/Collins/Lawrence/Mayowa/Thornton/T.Crawford

Add in at least one premium pick on the DL, maybe re-sign J. Crawford depending on his cost, see if Tapper can give us anything and we should be fine.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
At least those fucks didn't wait until next week to do it while we were actually preparing for a game.

It sucks but it's not a huge immediate concern as I'm not even sure he would be active in the playoffs assuming Lawrence can play.

Obviously it sucks for next year but I had already written the guy off in many regards to begin with.

Re-sign McClain and roll with these 7 as your base going into the draft/free agency: Irving/McClain/Collins/Lawrence/Mayowa/Thornton/T.Crawford

Add in at least one premium pick on the DL, maybe re-sign J. Crawford depending on his cost, see if Tapper can give us anything and we should be fine.
Yeah, I assumed this was coming the day before our playoff game.

So how exactly does a year suspension work? Does he get credit for the playoff games he is missing this season? Or does he just automatically have to sit out all of next year? Playoffs included? He should definitely appeal this decision.

marsbennett

Brand New Member
Brutal. I could feel this one coming though as soon as they made it clear it was not a 'court of law'.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

So how exactly does a year suspension work? Does he get credit for the playoff games he is missing this season? Or does he just automatically have to sit out all of next year? Playoffs included? He should definitely appeal this decision.
This was his appeal.

He's going to basically be like Josh Gordon. Gone a whole year.

I don't see any reason why we would bother to even think about him coming back. Move on. We fucked up taking him. That's it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Welp, his career is essentially over.

marsbennett

Brand New Member
This was his appeal.

I don't see any reason why we would bother to even think about him coming back. Move on. We fucked up taking him. That's it.
Yeah. Unless Jerry can get Pot off the targeted list in the off season.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around

I think it's exactly just that... he will be eligible to play again 1/6/2017. The thing I don't like is the "at least" part? What does that mean? It's a year unless he has further violations? Or is he gone a year minimum and he is then eligible to return at the commissioners discretion?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think it's exactly just that... he will be eligible to play again 1/6/2017. The thing I don't like is the "at least" part? What does that mean? It's a year unless he has further violations? Or is he gone a year minimum and he is then eligible to return at the commissioners discretion?
Well, since he can already start playing again tomorrow, this is great news!

:unsure

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Well his rookie contract is mostly fucked, but I don't think his career is over by a long shot.

He mainly needed to be eased in, not thrown to the wolves from day one.

The last thing a guy like this needed was additional pressure placed on him.

Nothing takes pressure off and builds confidence like incremental success.

But we threw this 230 pound kid up against NFL OT's from day one. Just not smart.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well his rookie contract is mostly fucked, but I don't think his career is over by a long shot.
It is over, at least it should be with us.

Three years and he would have logged little action and proved that he is unreliable.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Why is his career over? Ricky Williams was in the same spot and he came back to have a respectable finish to his career.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It is over, at least it should be with us.

Three years and he would have logged little action and proved that he is unreliable.
Well, he's still under contract with us in his 4th year, so I wouldn't say "never" yet.

Just the fact that they tried so hard to get him on the field this year shows the team's belief in him, IMO. Compare with McClain, whom they've clearly given up on.

townsend

Banned
Why is his career over? Ricky Williams was in the same spot and he came back to have a respectable finish to his career.
Ricky Williams had put up MVP numbers two years prior to his suspension. Gregory has 1 career sack.

townsend

Banned
Well, he's still under contract with us in his 4th year, so I wouldn't say "never" yet.

Just the fact that they tried so hard to get him on the field this year shows the team's belief in him, IMO. Compare with McClain, whom they've clearly given up on.
Or Josh Brent. Who we'd still probably have on the roster if he hadn't retired again.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was his appeal.

Well he can appeal this to the courts. At least that was my point.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'm sure we will keep him around. Not really a reason not to. He won't be taking up a roster space on suspension. And we can always hope the NFL amends their retarded policy on marijuana.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Ricky Williams had put up MVP numbers two years prior to his suspension. Gregory has 1 career sack.
Two different situations given Williams was a multi ear pro with a pro-bowl season to his credit and Gregory is just starting out.

But one common denominator in each case is risk/reward. It costs Dallas comparatively little to remain invested in Gregory while they stand to gain a helpful young pass rusher. Similarly Parcells could talk Williams out of retirement and pay relatively little to potentially gain an impact rusher.

In Gregory's case, the 2nd round pick has already been paid no matter what they do, so why not keep him?

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
You're missing my point... just because he does not play for a year, it does not mean he cannot still have a highly productive finish to his career. All I know is and I continually hear people talk about his natural abilities (which makes the situation that much more frustrating), and how hard he has been working towards getting on the field again.

It's also not like this latest suspension is a result of a recent violation, this one was still related to that string of violations he had last year.

I'm not saying the Cowboys should keep this kid in their plans going forward, but as long as they have his rights, he's working hard with the team (as much as he is allowed), and has no further off the field troubles, why not keep him around and see how things play out? If we don't... I can almost guarantee someone else will.

Top Bottom