2016 Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggyfly

Banned
You probably can if you break them down into SS and FS.
Not really.

SS that have been just as good if not better.

Ronnie Lott, Kenny Easley, Steve Atwater, Donnie Shell.

If Lynch is in consideration then I would take Woodson over him but I am not sure either belongs in the Hall.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Not really.

If Lynch is in consideration then I would take Woodson over him but I am not sure either belongs in the Hall.
Just my opinion, but you are crazy if you don't think Woodson belongs in the HOF.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Woodson belongs in the HOF.

But it's hard to argue his case when compared with Lynch or Dawkins.

Dawkins carried the McNabb Eagles defense when they had nothing. He was the dominant safety in the conference for a decade.

Lynch was the face of the Bucs secondary leading a defense that dominated the league for about 7-8 years. That defense would be credited with the Super Bowl victory in 2002 and Lynch was a huge part of it.

Woody was overshadowed by the Triplets and OL. He was one big fish on a defense full of big fish. There was so much talent on those Cowboys defenses that you couldn't decide on who the pro bowlers even were. Thomas Everett, Super Bowl 28 star James Washington, Brock Marion, and even Roy Williams late in Woudy's career all dilute the stats.

All that, plus the fact that he's not even in the ROH, hurts Woodson's case.

The people voting don't remember him like we do. They are looking at stats and reputation. Woody would crush people when he had to, but that wasn't his game.

His consistent greatness might be his worst enemy. He had few signature games that make him stand out over others on his own team.

dallen

Senior Tech
Woodson was a DE\LB that switched to SS and was able to cover slot receivers. That still blows my mind

dallen

Senior Tech
Also, Woodson is definitely in the ROH

data

Forbes #1
I'm surprised LeRoy Butler hasn't gotten more play. Always felt he got more play than Woodson from the media during their playing days.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Not really.

You can still debate the issue. Which was the point.

townsend

Banned
I hate that being a great player in a Cowboys dynasty is somehow a mark against a player. Meanwhile every cheerleader and water boy from the 70s Steelers has gone to the HOF.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Just my opinion, but you are crazy if you don't think Woodson belongs in the HOF.
Why am I crazy?

Woodson never was a game changing player, he was great at what he was asked to do but seldom was he the signature difference in winning a game.

IMO a HOF had to be a game changer or dominant at his position over a period of time IMO Woodson comes up short.

Jiggyfly

Banned
You can still debate the issue. Which was the point.
The point was if Woodson was GOAT as a safety and since you have to break it down to SS and FS to start a debate it kind of makes my case for me.

And I think Lott and Shell where much better at SS.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The point was if Woodson was GOAT as a safety and since you have to break it down to SS and FS to start a debate it kind of makes my case for me.

I said you could debate if you broke it down to SS/FS. I don't think he is the GOAT if you include all safeties but I do think you can debate it if you just take the SS position. I do think he belongs in the HOF and I sure as he'll believe he belongs there before a Lynch.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I said you could debate if you broke it down to SS/FS. I don't think he is the GOAT if you include all safeties but I do think you can debate it if you just take the SS position. I do think he belongs in the HOF and I sure as he'll believe he belongs there before a Lynch.
I already stated that if Lynch gets in Woodson deserves it before him.

Cotton

Staff member
Why am I crazy?

Woodson never was a game changing player, he was great at what he was asked to do but seldom was he the signature difference in winning a game.

IMO a HOF had to be a game changer or dominant at his position over a period of time IMO Woodson comes up short.
I do not agree with any of this.

Cotton

Staff member

I don't agree with any of this, either.

Cotton

Staff member
SS and FS are two very different positions relative to how they are used on the field. I don't know how in the world one can't distinguish the two and grade them separately. Seems asinine to me.

Cotton

Staff member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom