Will Tony Romo even be active Sunday?

townsend

Banned
Also, nobody has taken into account Murray's fumbling problems. He seemed to fumble at the worst possible time- if there's ever a such thing as a good time to fumble. But you know what I mean.
Zeke's also had quite a few fumbles. I bet they'd come out about even on fumbles per carry.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
2014 Cowboys 2016 Cowboys

O-line >
WRs >
TE >
RB =

Offensive coordinator =

That's the way I see it. And even if you want to say Zeke was a better RB in 2016 then Murray in 2014 it's still pretty clear because the difference wasn't massive.
Why would you think the offensive line and WRs were better in 14? Roughly equal across the board if you ask me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why would you think the offensive line and WRs were better in 14? Roughly equal across the board if you ask me.
Same WR's except Dez was an all-pro back then and this year he has struggled with injuries and hasn't been nearly as explosive.

Same O-line except Tyron Smith didn't miss games with an injury and wasn't dealing with a back ailment the entire year along with Free being 2 years younger and better back then.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Zeke's also had quite a few fumbles. I bet they'd come out about even on fumbles per carry.
I guess I stand corrected. Murray had just 5 fumbles according to NFL.com. Zeke's had 5 as well. Murray's seem to stand out more for whatever reason.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Yet, when healthy in 2016 dez's production and efficiency still waned.

I wonder why that is?
I don't really have anything but my eyes to back me up but Romo seemed more in sync with Dez in 2014 than Dak in 2016. Dez rarely had to make adjustments to Romo's passes it seemed. Romo always seemed to hit him in stride. Not to mention they also had what seemed like personal routes drawn up between just the two of them. There were some games where Romo saw something in the defense and would give Dez a shoulder shrug or a look and Dez would know where to go and Romo would hit for a TD more times than not.

The most recent pass I can remember with Dak and Dez that leads me to this conclusion is the deep pass in Minnesota. As nice as it was, Dez still had to stretch out for it causing him to fall short of the goal line instead of taking it to the house.

Perhaps Dez's injuries kept that from happening with him and Dak this year. I dunno.

townsend

Banned
Yet, when healthy in 2016 dez's production and efficiency still waned.

I wonder why that is?
We ran through some really decent defenses after Dez got healthy. Philly, Minnesota, Baltimore, NYG. Dez really struggled to get away from Josh Norman too.
Dez got to play some abysmal defenses in 2014. Jacksonville, Washington, Philly, New York, New Orleans, Tennessee, Chicago, Indianapolis, Houston. Frankly he had a lot more opportunities like the 2016 Detroit game to pad his stats with.

Even still Dez had 7 TDs and about 650 yards over the course of 9 games. That's pretty damn good. God knows how much more he could have gotten if he had been able to play a full game vs the Bears, and games against Cincinnati, San Francisco, and Green Bay.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dez has multiple 50+ yard receptions and 100 yard games. I see nothing to indicate he's not right physically.

He's down from 8.5 targets per game down to 7.38, but more importantly he has 50% fewer TD's and a much lower catch rate-- 52% down from 63.7%.

Attributing this change all to Dez being injured or aging is where the Dak-agendas kick in a bit. Attributing none of it to Dez leans towards a Romo agenda.

Detroit showed how when we actually try to pump the passing game both Bryant and Williams thrive. We can make big plays happen as opposed to letting them come to us.

townsend

Banned
Dez has multiple 50+ yard receptions and 100 yard games. I see nothing to indicate he's not right physically.

He's down from 8.5 targets per game down to 7.38, but more importantly he has 50% fewer TD's and a much lower catch rate-- 52% down from 63.7%.

Attributing this change all to Dez being injured or aging is where the Dak-agendas kick in a bit. Attributing none of it to Dez leans towards a Romo agenda.

Detroit showed how when we actually try to pump the passing game both Bryant and Williams thrive. We can make big plays happen as opposed to letting them come to us.
I think you overestimate the consistency of Dez's production. Look at his game logs in 2014, he caught 9 of his TDs over 4 games. You could have just as easily argued Dez's production was declining in the first half of 2014 (before he got to catch 10 TDs in the second half) in fact Bipo did.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
All I care about is winning the Superbowl.

I think our current offense needs to kick it up a notch to get there.

And that means getting the ball to Dez (and Williams). A 52% completion rate isn't going to cut it. Take more deep shots and practice deep accuracy to our most dangerous target.

We don't try and we'll lose.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I guess I stand corrected. Murray had just 5 fumbles according to NFL.com. Zeke's had 5 as well. Murray's seem to stand out more for whatever reason.
It may be the fumble during the GB playoff game when he had a TD in front of him that skews the comparison. :unsure

Top Bottom