2016 Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
When was this though?

Last report I saw a month or so ago was he was still wearing a strap to keep his foot from dropping.

But damn he looks good.
I'm sure he is still wearing some type of brace in these videos. I don't think it prevents him from running and cutting. Even if the nerve is firing I'm sure he will need a brace for awhile.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I'm sure he is still wearing some type of brace in these videos. I don't think it prevents him from running and cutting. Even if the nerve is firing I'm sure he will need a brace for awhile.
I tried pausing the video and it didn't look like he was wearing a brace, which would be incredibly good news as relates to him seeing the field in '17.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried pausing the video and it didn't look like he was wearing a brace, which would be incredibly good news as relates to him seeing the field in '17.
Speak of the devil...

Jaylon Smith thinks he'll be ready to play for Cowboys next year
2:32 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Jaylon Smith won't be part of the Dallas Cowboys' playoff push, but he believes he will be playing in 2017.

The Cowboys selected Smith in the second round last spring knowing it was unlikely the linebacker would be able to play this season because of a serious knee injury that occurred just over a year ago in Notre Dame's loss to Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. The injury included nerve damage.

Smith, who spent the season on the reserve/non-football injury list, said the nerve is regenerating and he can feel things now in his foot that he couldn't feel recently. He said tests have been positive.

"I'm getting my 4.4 speed back, I'll tell you that," Smith said. "That's how well I'm moving. You wouldn't be able to tell if you saw me run."

While he said he believes he could have played late this season, the Cowboys never had him practice when they had the chance for a three-week stretch in October.

"It's a thing where I can come back, but you want to take things slow," Smith said. "You want to make sure that everything is right regardless of if I can play or not right now. We're just taking the long-term approach. That's something we had in mind from Day 1, and it just came down to making a decision. And what was best for all of us was to get the whole offseason and be ready to go next year."

Coach Jason Garrett did not want to discuss Smith's medical issues but said he has made "tremendous progress."

"He's worked very hard at it and doesn't surprise us one bit," Garrett said. "One of the reasons he was so attractive to us as a player is just the approach that he's taking. Those were the reports from the people around him for three years at Notre Dame and that's been our experience with him. Obviously he had a serious knee injury last year, but we felt like, 'Hey, if anybody can come back from this, this is the guy who can.' He's got an incredible attitude, always upbeat, always positive, always working very hard."

Smith, considered a top-five pick before the injury, won't be able to take the field with the team until May, when organized team activities begin. He continues to wear a brace for his foot, but he said he could play with the brace if needed. If the nerve fully regenerates, he would not need the brace.

"It's not a limiting factor at all," Smith said. "Now that I'm comfortable with the push off and everything, I'm getting my linear speed back like I said. I'm running a 4.5 right now so. ... But with the pace that I'm keeping up, you could tell that I'm definitely getting my linear speed back and the change of direction and things like that. I mean, I feel great."

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The kid also had ACL and LCL tears which by themselves would have been a serious challenge to overcome.

Throw in the nerve damage and it's much worse because you can't rehab the normal way.

I'm incredibly impressed by Jaylon's ability to run any kind of serious 40 time at all.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In Jerry's head it's like getting an extra top five pick next year.
If he is healthy he does have top 5 talent. But when Jerry thinks like that he has to remember that he gave up a high second rounder to get the guy. It's not like we got him for free. We just didn't have to use a first rounder.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If he's moving that well I'm surprised they weren't seriously considering activating him this year. His movements looked great to my untrained eye.
He was on the NFI list, which means, and I might be wrong, they had to IR or activate him and that would mean they would have had to called him up to the active roster.

He himself says he can't run without the brace right now. So if that's the case, he may look great, but I doubt he can play LBer at an acceptable level with an orthotic brace on.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was on the NFI list, which means, and I might be wrong, they had to IR or activate him and that would mean they would have had to called him up to the active roster.

He himself says he can't run without the brace right now. So if that's the case, he may look great, but I doubt he can play LBer at an acceptable level with an orthotic brace on.
I think he could play just fine. But I'd be afraid of him sustaining an injury if he can't control his foot the way he needs to in order to protect it. And it's not worth that type of a setback for a guy who would probably only play special teams this year and is on pace to be 100% next year.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Best draft class in Dallas history?

As if Zeke and Dak weren't enough, this guy would Bradie Bottle Lock for certain.

Get a chubby just thinking about him and Lee working the middle of this defense.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

As if Zeke and Dak weren't enough, this guy would Bradie Bottle Lock for certain.

Get a chubby just thinking about him and Lee working the middle of this defense.
I think it has to at least bare minimum be in the discussion.

Cotton

Staff member
Damn, can't believe it has been 10 years...

Cotton

Staff member

dallen

Senior Tech
Damn, can't believe it has been 10 years...

2233boys

Not So New Member

Collins and Brown play this year already makes it great with Dak and Zeke, this would as you say Bradie Bottle Lock it for certain.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Collins and Brown play this year already makes it great with Dak and Zeke, this would as you say Bradie Bottle Lock it for certain.
They keep stacking drafts like this and I'll buy a Jerry Jones jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom