Packers Stuff...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

He's due.
It's funny, he is such a streaky QB. There are times when he really struggles to even complete 60% of his passes. This season alone he has less YPA then Dak and a lower completion percentage. But if you read any of the articles about the game it's all about "how will Dallas stop Rodgers." A better question might be, how is Green Bay going to stop Dak? The fact is Aaron Rodgers is still going to miss some throws he should make. He will also make some throws that he has no business completing. That's just how Aaron Rodgers is. And honestly he isn't some sort of a master playoff QB either. Other then the run where he won the superbowl his record in the playoffs has not been particularly good. Outside of that year he is like 5-6 in the playoffs.

Anyway, I think it will be a great game. I'm thrilled it is being played in Dallas. And unlike in years past, we actually seemed to have a little bit of a homefield advantage this year. The stadium was noticeably louder and more in to games. Hopefully it stays that way in the playoffs.

dallen

Senior Tech
If any of you fellas wants to give me a ticket I'll be happy to attend the game.

Cotton

Staff member

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I'm just thankful that GB won because if we were playing NY, Zeke probably would have been handed a suspension by now.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ty Montgomery not listed on initial Green Bay injury*report
Posted by Mike Florio on January 11, 2017, 7:39 PM EST

The Packers have more than a few injuries as the divisional round of the playoffs approaches. Their top running back, however, technically isn’t injured at all — even though he apparently was injured only three days ago.

Converted receiver Ty Montgomery, who missed some of the second half against the Giants with an ankle injury, didn’t appear on the Green Bay injury report for Wednesday. It means that he currently has no injury at all.

As expected, receiver Jordy Nelson didn’t practice due to a couple of broken ribs suffered against the Giants. Also not practicing were receiver Jeff Janis (quadricep), running back James Starks (concussion), center/guard JC Tretter (knee), and linebacker Julius Peppers (not injury related).

Limited in practice was cornerback Quinten Rollins (neck/concussion). Fully practicing despite injury were receiver Randall Cobb (ankle), linebacker Clay Matthews (shoulder), guard T.J. Lang (foot), linebacker Nick Perry (hand), linebacker Blake Martinez (knee), linebacker Jayrone Elliott (hand).

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys scouting report: D-lineman Irving is peaking

Bob McGinn , Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Published 9:32 p.m. CT Jan. 10, 2017 | Updated 21 hours ago

GREEN BAY – At the start of training camp David Irving might have ranked ninth or 10th on the Dallas Cowboys’ ordinary defensive line.

When the Cowboys meet the Green Bay Packers on Sunday in an NFC divisional playoff game, Irving probably is their best defensive lineman.

At least that was the opinion of two executives in personnel who have studied the Cowboys all season.

“He’s playing at a high level,” one personnel man said. “Done a nice job over the last month of the season. He’s been a one-man wrecking show in a lot of instances.”

Eight defensive linemen logged more playing time than Irving on Oct. 16 in the Cowboys’ 30-16 victory at Lambeau Field. Irving, 6 feet 7½ inches and 285 pounds, made the most of his 19 snaps by forcing three fumbles (two by Aaron Rodgers, one by Ty Montgomery), tying the team record.

Before that game, Irving hadn’t been much of a factor. However, in the last five games, he has notched 14 of his team-high pressure total.

Irving usually plays left end in the 4-3 defense and tackle on passing downs. He needs a ton of work playing the run inside, but with 35 7/8-inch arms, 10¾-inch hands and 4.84-second speed the raw material is there.

“Not a real quick-twitch guy but he can cause problems just because he can bend for a guy that big,” said another scout. “Real nice body. Big and long.

“I just think the matchups inside for him are a little bit better because he’s not a speed guy. Not saying he can’t win outside, but the matchups and the height and the length make for more of an athletic mismatch against a guard.”

Irving was kicked out of his high school in Los Angeles and later was dismissed from the team at Iowa State. As a free-agent rookie in 2015, Irving was on Kansas City’s practice squad when the Cowboys signed him.

He played 199 snaps for Dallas last season, showing some promise with 14 pressures, before making steady progress this season. He also was ejected from the Cleveland game for fighting with Browns center Cam Erving.

It’s noteworthy that the Cowboys’ defensive tackles coach is Leon Lett. At 6-6 and 285, Lett also was an unheralded player in college who played 10 seasons in Dallas and won three Super Bowl rings.

More with less: Defensive end Benson Mayowa, who is with his third team, leads the Cowboys in sacks with 6. Probably the major question mark is if Dallas can win the Super Bowl without an exceptional pass rusher or defensive lineman.

“The reality is, there’s not really even a guy that would start for, say, 25 other teams,” one scout said. “Or 20 other teams.

“Mayowa brings some edge presence. He’s an athletic guy. He doesn’t scare me that much. Him against (David) Bakhtiari, it should be ‘shutdown city.’ ”

Under third-year defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli, the Cowboys ranked 19th in sack percentage. At the same time, they finished fifth in points allowed (19.1) and 14th in yards (343.9).

“I’m telling you, Rod Marinelli is a stud,” said one scout. “Not as a coordinator. I’m saying as someone working with players and motivating them. They get better. He will get the most out of them.”

The Cowboys took a hit last week when defensive end Randy Gregory, their second-round draft choice in 2015, was suspended for at least a year by the NFL. It was his third suspension.

Gregory played 66 snaps primarily at right end in Games 15-16 and looked explosive. “This was a guy who could do some damage,” said one scout.

According to Sportradar, Irving and Tyrone Crawford leads in pressures with 21 followed by Maliek Collins (17), Mayowa (14), DeMarcus Lawrence (12), Terrell McClain (10), Jack Crawford (eight), Anthony Hitchens (eight) and Cedric Thornton (six). Irving leads with one every 23.3 snaps followed by Mayowa (one every 27.36) and Lawrence (one every 27.42).

Lawrence will return after a three-game absence with a back injury that probably will require surgery after the season.

How do the Cowboys generate pressure?

“They run a lot of stunts and twists, and they do them really well,” said one scout. “It’s more of the sum of the parts for that front.”

The Cowboys did lead the league in rushing yards allowed (83.5). It should be noted, however, that their opponents rushed the least number of times (340).

“They don’t strike me as run-stuffers,” said one executive. “Part of that is the complementary football that they play. You look at time of possession, they’re No. 1 (actually No. 2). Their offense helps them out by running the ball and by scoring points. It’s easier playing from ahead.”

Dallas ranked 27th in blitz rate at 20.1%, according to Sportradar.

He’s back: The Packers caught a break in October when wide receiver Dez Bryant sat out for a third straight game with a knee injury. The snap counts at the position were 51 for Brice Butler, 43 for Terrance Williams, 30 for Cole Beasley and 15 for Lucky Whitehead.

Bryant returned in Game 7, stayed healthy and finished with career lows for a full season in receptions (50), yards (796) and touchdowns (eight). In four appearances against the Packers he has 24 catches for 286 (11.9) and two TDs.

“When the season (started) I didn’t think he was in sync with (Dak) Prescott,” said one executive. “It’s hard to say it but he was almost a detriment. I think he’s kind of fallen into place.

“He was maybe the most physically gifted receiver I have ever scouted. Or right behind Calvin Johnson. Thing he doesn’t do, he’s not a detailed guy.

“Can he dominate against (LaDarius) Gunter? Yes. That’s a big mismatch. He still has it.”

Dallas dropped the fewest number of passes (18) of any team, according to Sportradar. Beasley led with four. Tight end Jason Witten, who dropped three, has the lowest drop rate (4.2%). Bryant dropped three (5.7%).

Bye helps: Four starters and three situational substitutes sat out the Cowboys’ meaningless 27-13 loss at Philadelphia in Week 17 because of injury. Now all seven, given the weekend off, are expected to play Sunday.

The Packers will encounter a deeper and probably stronger secondary than three months ago.

In that game, left cornerback Morris Claiborne departed after 25 snaps because of a concussion. Orlando Scandrick, the veteran nickel back, returned the week after the Green Bay game following a four-week absence due to injured hamstrings and is rounding into peak form.

Claiborne’s return is a bit iffy. His first practice was Friday after missing Games 8-16 with a pelvis injury.

If Claiborne is available, he could start ahead of Anthony Brown, who has enjoyed a solid rookie season, spell him or play in a four-cornerback alignment against the Packers’ spread formations. Veteran Brandon Carr is effective on the right side.

Free safety Byron James has the speed (4.42) and skill to cover some wide receivers. Strong safety Barry Church stops the run.

“If they have Claiborne back, that secondary is pretty deep,” said one scout. “Carr, Claiborne, Scandrick, Brown. At safety you have Church, Jones, (J.J.) Wilcox. Maybe they don’t have a top-end stud but Carr played well against Detroit (Dec. 26).”

Men up front: Left tackle Tyron Smith, one of the Cowboys’ three Pro Bowl offensive linemen, missed the last 1½ games with a knee injury. He hasn’t been quite as dominant in his sixth season due in part to a bulging lumbar disc that the medical staff has been managing all year.

Could Clay Matthews disrupt the Cowboys’ offense at the expense of Smith?

“No,” replied one scout. “That’s not a shot on Matthews. But Smith is pretty good.”

Right tackle Doug Free, a graduate of Manitowoc High School, is a seven-year starter and, at 33, isn’t as limber as he once was.

“He’s had his moments where guys have gotten up-field on him,” one personnel man said. “It’s not where you say, ‘Hey, we’ve got to go after this guy, he’s a weak link.’ They’re all big and physical. (Free) would still be a starter on pretty much 31 other teams.”

Another scout said Free has showed no signs of falloff as he prepares to face Julius Peppers. “That matchup is the Packers’ best chance,” he said.

Behind running back Ezekiel Elliott and their prized line, the Cowboys have converted 27 of 33 (81.8%) on third- and fourth-and-1. In contrast, the Packers during the regular season were 15 of 25 (60%).

“Elliott is pretty damn good,” said one scout. “He’s helped by the offensive line but sometimes that can be an overused narrative.

“People say, ‘Anybody can run behind that offensive line.’ But you watch Darren McFadden, who rushed for 1,000 yards last year, run behind that line and it’s a little bit different. Or Alfred Morris.”

Going strong: Prescott’s first interception came in Green Bay when he made a terrible throw to Witten and was picked by safety Morgan Burnett. Prescott still finished with a passer rating of 117.4, a glossy number but one that he exceeded in six other games.

Through 12 games, Prescott had a rating of 108.6. His mark of 91.7 in Games 13-16 left him third for the season at 104.9.

“I haven’t seen any (slippage),” one executive said. “You still see the poise. He’s not going to carry them but he’s still been pretty efficient.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ty Montgomery not listed on initial Green Bay injury*report
Posted by Mike Florio on January 11, 2017, 7:39 PM EST

The Packers have more than a few injuries as the divisional round of the playoffs approaches. Their top running back, however, technically isn’t injured at all — even though he apparently was injured only three days ago.

Converted receiver Ty Montgomery, who missed some of the second half against the Giants with an ankle injury, didn’t appear on the Green Bay injury report for Wednesday. It means that he currently has no injury at all.

As expected, receiver Jordy Nelson didn’t practice due to a couple of broken ribs suffered against the Giants. Also not practicing were receiver Jeff Janis (quadricep), running back James Starks (concussion), center/guard JC Tretter (knee), and linebacker Julius Peppers (not injury related).

Limited in practice was cornerback Quinten Rollins (neck/concussion). Fully practicing despite injury were receiver Randall Cobb (ankle), linebacker Clay Matthews (shoulder), guard T.J. Lang (foot), linebacker Nick Perry (hand), linebacker Blake Martinez (knee), linebacker Jayrone Elliott (hand).
I feel like Green Bay is just playing games with their injury report. But whatever, don't really care. I doubt Montgomery is 100% but he is going to play regardless so who really cares.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I feel like Green Bay is just playing games with their injury report. But whatever, don't really care. I doubt Montgomery is 100% but he is going to play regardless so who really cares.
Yeah, I believe meatball McCarthy is simply playing games with Nelson and Montgomery to try and divert gameplanning all for Rodgers. Nelson ain't playing, and if he does, he's not going to be a factor. Montgomery I'm sure will play, but he got twisted up pretty damn good....he is hobbled and no way is he 100%.

But, Rodgers is playing lights out and I'm worried with our guys up front. Rodgers is really his best when he can either improvise, or dance around and buy lots of time. NY barely got to him, and they have a much better front then we do. Thats got to be a concern for any knowledgable Cowboys fan.

It doesn't mean the Packers are unbeatable, but it puts a lot of pressure on a rookie QB to go score for score with Rodgers.

Cotton

Staff member
Dak Prescott nervous? The last time that happened to Cowboys QB was ...

By David Moore , Staff Writer

Dak Prescott has shown remarkable poise and calm in his rookie season. He spoke about his definition of nerves as he prepares for his first NFL playoff appearance.
So, when was the last time Prescott was nervous before a game?

"I mean, I don't know," he said. "That's a good question. I'm sure sometime in college or another. But to me, it's all about being prepared.

"In a way you get nerves. Nerves hit you. You're not human if they don't hit you. But there's a difference between being nervous and having good nerves to go out there and play.
"But it's been awhile since I've truly been just nervous."

It turns out Prescott doesn't get nervous the way many people do. His excitement translates into good nerves. That means no nerves in the Seattle preseason game, when he unexpectedly had to take the field on third-and-8 after Tony Romo went down to injury.

"Nah, I mean I knew the play Coach called, and I went in there and went through my reads," said Prescott, who completed a 12-yard pass to Cole Beasley for the first down. "You get too nervous, your mind is on other things other than what you're prepared to do."

No nerves in his preseason debut against Los Angeles?

"No," Prescott said. "I was excited."

What about the regular-season opener and his first NFL start against the New York Giants?

"Excited," he said.

Prescott isn't married, but what about the thought of marriage?

"No," he said. "Women don't make me nervous."

Final question: What was the game in college that made him nervous?

"Ah, I mean, I was kinda just saying that to throw an answer out there," Prescott said.

Cotton

Staff member
Sean Lee ready to enjoy the moment, have fun in playoffs for first time
7:00 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Before the linebackers go out for warm-ups Sunday, Sean Lee will stand before his teammates in the hallway outside the Dallas Cowboys' locker room and say how blessed they are to be playing.

“Let’s enjoy the moment and have some fun,” Lee will tell the group before the players jog onto the field.

Lee has been waiting for a moment like the divisional-round playoff matchup against the Green Bay Packers at AT&T Stadium since the Cowboys selected him in the second round of the 2010 draft. Injuries largely kept him from being a difference-maker in winner-take-all games late in 2012 and 2013. Late-season losses prevented the first playoff game from coming sooner, as in 2011.

“I know he’s looking forward to this one,” fellow linebacker Anthony Hitchens said.

Nothing compared to the pain he felt in 2014.

The sting he felt when he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in the spring did not compare to the sting he felt as he watched the Cowboys’ season end in the divisional round of the playoffs at Lambeau Field.

“That’s a game you want to be a part of,” Lee said. “And that’s probably, looking back, of the games I missed, it’s one of the biggest games I regret not playing in.”

Lee did his best to feel a part of the Cowboys’ surprising 12-4 run that season. He was in meetings when he wasn’t rehabbing. He was offering tips and advice to linebackers, including Hitchens, but the frustration was obvious because Lee couldn’t do anything.

The Cowboys walked out of Lambeau Field with a 26-21 defeat in part because of Dez Bryant's overturned catch and in part because they could not slow down Aaron Rodgers enough, especially after replay took away Bryant’s reception.

“I remember watching Rodgers take it down the field against us two years ago and wishing we had Sean Lee out there,” Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said. “And I knew he was sitting over there pretty healthy. Now, I don’t know if he was ready to defend Rodgers, but it would have been probably good to have him in the game. But he’s a difference-maker.”

Lee played in 15 games in 2016, matching his career high, and would have played in all 16 had the coaches not held him out of the finale against the Philadelphia Eagles. Even though he knew he wasn’t going to play, Lee never unstrapped his helmet.

“As soon as they played the 'Rocky' theme song, I was like, ‘You’ve got to get me in this game. You’ve got to find a way to get me out there,’” Lee said.

Lee understood the decision. It was more important for him to be ready to play the Packers in the playoffs. On a defense that has maximized every ounce of ability, Lee is the standout.

According to the coaches’ count, Lee had 174 tackles, a career high, and 65 more than second-place finisher Barry Church. He led the Cowboys in tackles for loss with 12, six more than Tyrone Crawford, who was second on the team. He had four quarterback pressures, two pass deflections and one fumble recovery.

Lee wasn’t named to the Pro Bowl, but he was picked as a first-team All Pro.

“I’m happy we got him out with us now,” Crawford said. “Captain of the defense, Mr. Incredible, all those nicknames he’s got, he definitely lives up to all of them.”

Standing on the sideline when the Cowboys beat the Detroit Lions in the 2014 wild-card round and again the following week against the Packers gave Lee a sense of what Sunday will be like. He has asked some teammates about their experiences as well.

As he stands in the hallway Sunday afternoon, telling everybody to enjoy the moment and have fun, you know he will.

“The thing I’ve done during injuries is, I’ve always tried to prepare like I was playing,” Lee said. “Mentally, I would go through the game plan, and then I’d approach the game on game day like I was playing. So mentally, I’ve been through it. But physically, it’ll be different, and obviously, you can only mimic so much.”

Cotton

Staff member
Aaron Rodgers hoping to get Jordy Nelson back, if not this week
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 12, 2017, 6:18 AM EST

It doesn’t sound like anyone expects Packers wide receiver Jordy Nelson to play this week, after he suffered broken ribs in last week’s win over the Giants.

But quarterback Aaron Rodgers said he’s still hoping to get a chance to throw to Nelson again this season.

“It’s tough,” Rodgers said, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com. “We’ve played a lot of football together. You realize how important these opportunities are, how they don’t come around every single year. We feel great about our team. Obviously, we feel better with 87 in the lineup. He’s a classy guy and a great teammate. I was with him last night and the night before. He’s staying positive and he’s hopeful.

“We’re going to try to get this one and hopefully get him back if he can’t play this week.”

Nelson was hospitalized overnight after last week’s injury, and he won’t do anything until at least Saturday. But after seeing him come back from a torn ACL in 2015, it’s clear how much it means to the Packers to give him a chance to come back, which obviously means beating the Cowboys Sunday.

“He’s been a warrior all season,” Rodgers said. “I don’t think he’s missed a practice hardly all season. Different without him out there, but we’re hopeful he’s going to be able to heal quickly and be able to go.”

Nelson caught 97 passes for 1,257 yards and 14 touchdowns this year, leading the team.

dallen

Senior Tech
Don't worry. I'm sure he'll be back in time for the Preseason

Cotton

Staff member

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
And that one was in green bay.

I don't know that we were the better team that year. We were probably more or less even.

We are the better team this year though.

Cotton

Staff member
Ezekiel Elliott's favorite run this season occurred against Green Bay
9:00 AM CT
Jean-Jacques Taylor
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Of the 322 times Ezekiel Elliott has carried the ball for the Dallas Cowboys this season, he liked one run more than all the others.

He could’ve picked his first NFL touchdown, a zigzagging, eight-yard run that ended with a dive into the end zone in the opener against the New York Giants. Or the 60-yard dash to pay dirt against the Cincinnati Bengals. Maybe the 32-yard sprint in the final seconds to beat the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The rookie running back needed less than 10 seconds to come up with his favorite as he removed the tape from his ankles after Wednesday's practice. Elliott had runs of 29 and 24 yards Oct. 16 against the Packers, but it was a 12-yard, fourth-quarter jaunt he deemed his favorite.

Why?

“It showed a little bit of everything I can do,” Elliott told ESPN.com with a smile. “It had a stiff-arm and I showed some speed. Then I hurdled a guy and ran through a couple others before they got me down.”

On first-and-10 from the Green Bay 26, the Cowboys lined up in “13” personnel: one running back and three tight ends.

Tight end Gavin Escobar lined up in the left slot, while Jason Witten lined up as a wingback on the left. Tight end Geoff Swaim was aligned next to right tackle Doug Free.

Receiver Lucky Whitehead went in motion from left to right. At the snap, Witten ran across the formation and tried to block right defensive end Julius Peppers, who eluded the attempt.

No problem.

Elliott stiff-armed at the Green Bay 28 and sped around right end. He hurdled LaDarius Gunter at the Packers' 22 but maintained his balance. He ran through arm tackles from linebackers Blake Martinez and Jake Ryan and safety Morgan Burnett along the right sideline.

Ryan fell off and Elliott dragged Burnett and Martinez another eight yards before getting shoved out of bounds.

“It was nice,” Elliott said of the run, which came during a drive that ended with a touchdown to put Dallas up 27-16.

Running backs coach Gary Brown called it a beautiful run.

“It showed he had tremendous vision and he had the power to stiff arm Peppers and get him off him,” Brown said. “Then he had the burst and explosion to get around the corner and jump over somebody. He got hit in the air, came down on the ground kept his balance and ran another five yards.

“He showed everything a running back supposed to do in one run.”

Elliott finished the regular season with 1,631 yards, the third-highest rookie total in NFL history, despite not playing the final game and a half because the Cowboys didn’t want to risk injury.

Elliott averaged 5.1 yards per carry and set the franchise's rookie rushing record. He led the NFL with 14 runs of more than 20 yards and 48 of more than 10 yards.

And if Green Bay is going to have any chance to beat the Cowboys on Sunday in an NFC divisional playoff game at AT&T Stadium, the Packers must control Elliott.

Of course, he’s the same dude, running behind the same offensive line, who established season highs in yards (157) and carries (28) against the Packers, who entered the eventual 30-16 Dallas victory with the NFL's top-rated rush defense.

The Packers held their first four opponents to a total of 171 yards rushing, the second-fewest through four games in the Super Bowl era, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Elliott’s favorite run occurred in the fourth quarter, which is when the Ohio State product says he does his best work.

Elliott has 12 runs of 10 yards or more in the fourth quarter and six runs of 20 yards or more. He gained 404 yards on 86 carries, a 4.7 average, in the frame when yards are at a premium.

In the first three quarters, Elliott punishes defenders. He has a knack for running low and for delivering blows instead of absorbing them.

And he always seems to be leaning forward at the end of runs. He’s rarely knocked backward.

That’s why if you ask Elliott the most important quality for a running back, he’ll pick toughness over speed, quickness, acceleration, vision and power.

“There’s nothing like going out there playing four quarters of tough football and seeing you take your opponents' will,” he said. “That’s when you start cracking those long runs, 20 and 30 yards.”

Cotton

Staff member

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'm a nervous wreck for this game and it isn't so much because of Green Bay, it's because for the first time in a very long time I feel that we are the best team in the NFC and have an excellent shot to get to the Super Bowl.

Because of that, there's so much more to lose and that's the part that gets me. It would suck to lose this game and not make it all the way.

I think we are the better team and I think if we win this game, we beat whoever wins out of ATL/SEA and get to the SB.

I just hope we show up to play and get the job done.

Top Bottom