Watkins: Inside DeMarcus Lawrence’s pass-rush moves

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Inside DeMarcus Lawrence’s pass-rush moves

By Calvin Watkins

OXNARD, Calif. —​ Leon Lett was a rookie Cowboys​ defensive lineman, freshly arrived from Emporia State, when he figured​​ out he needed help with pass-rush moves.
He had one.

Lett was a seventh-round pick in the 1991 draft and playing time was limited. He was being asked to rush the quarterback on a regular basis and he was struggling.

Lett, knowing the Cowboys’ rich history of defensive linemen, went to Ed “Too Tall” Jones for advice.

“When I started out I probably had one (pass-rush move),” Lett recalled to The Athletic. “It was a club-rip, up-field. As I began to rush and develop my toolbox, I would say I had about five or six. That’s it, really. One thing early on in my career, I had a conversation with Ed Jones and he talked about all these pass-rush moves. He said ‘You really only need three moves to be great.’”

In a 15-year career, Jones was a three-time Pro Bowler and an All-Pro in 1982. The Cowboys list Jones as having 106 career sacks, fourth-most in franchise history. He also had 12 sacks in 20 playoff games.

So going to Jones was the right decision.

“Just get a good base up,” Lett continued on what Jones told him.

Lett, now the Cowboys’ defensive tackles coach, relays similar thoughts to the team’s best pass-rusher, defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence. He’s coming off a season where he finished tied for second in the NFL with 14.5 sacks. Lawrence was rewarded for his efforts by getting franchised for $17.1 million and has positioned himself as possibly one of the top pass-rushers in the game, with the opportunity to get a big money contract.

If the Cowboys don’t take care of Lawrence and he plays well again, another team will cut an expensive check.

And before that occurs, Lawrence continues to work on his game, mainly his pass-rush moves. He has three he leans on primarily.

Lawrence has a spin move, something that freezes the opposing tackle who doesn’t know which way he’ll move laterally when he comes out of it.

Lawrence also uses a karate chop move that’s more like a mini-swim move. He swings both arms in front of the lineman in a chopping motion. The move is designed to keep the lineman from getting his hands on Lawrence’s chest where he can control him. He demonstrated the move against the Giants in Week 1 last season.

Of course, the third move is the famed bull rush. Get off the ball quickly and extend your arms with as much force as possible. The lineman is pushed back and the quarterback is startled.

Does Lawrence have more pass-rush moves than these three?

“He got plenty,” Lett said.

What Lawrence has is counters off counters. If you stop the spin move, he can go to the karate chop. Double team him with a guard or add a tight end as a chip blocker and he will try to shed one and push the other lineman back.

Lawrence can also stunt with a defensive tackle, using a quick first step after the snap to push against a guard who is moving backward and looking for someone to get after him.
It’s an evolving process for a pass-rusher.

What move do I use on second and long?

What move do I use on third and long?

“All my moves always have a counter in case I get in an uncomfortable position,” Lawrence said. “I have the right to counter a move, really, you’re supposed to have a counter off a counter. As a D-lineman you keep your hands and your feet moving and you keep rushing it until you get to the spots.”

It’s those spots that can be tricky. Some quarterbacks move around the pocket, like Carolina’s Cam Newton — who the Cowboys will see in Week 1. Newton is also difficult to bring down due to his size (6’5, 245 pounds). In contrast, the Cowboys also face Eli Manning and the Giants twice a season. He’s a stationary target, which will make Lawrence’s job easier. But a savvy vet such as Manning can get rid of the ball quickly. No matter how many moves you have, when the ball is gone you’re too late.

“We’ve all got great players in this NFL. It’s all about making that compromise and sit this move out one game and just help the team win and get after the quarterback,” Lawrence said.

Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli doesn’t want any of his pass-rushers to have more than two or three moves. The fewer moves the better; he wants to set up the opposing blockers like a pitcher does a hitter.

Marinelli’s philosophy for a pass-rusher is to start fast, much like many pitchers begin a baseball game throwing primarily fastballs.

“You don’t want many,” he said. “You got counters off your base moves and it takes forever to master a rush with all the different sets and all the different types of guys. So you’re constantly working on yourself. The really good ones I had over the years, three or four, they’re fast — and boom. I talk about having a fastball, if you don’t have a fastball nothing works. And when your fastball works, now you’re a pitcher, your curveball works — and that means your inside move. A great pitcher without a great pitch, it doesn’t work.”

Lawrence was great last year, but it’s hard to consider him elite this early. He’s produced one double-digit sack season and the Cowboys expect a great deal from him. There is a belief he will become an elite pass-rusher.

“When I come out here, I’m working different moves every day,” Lawrence said. “Spin, long arm, it just depends on what I want to add to my craft.”

Top Bottom