Archer: Cole Beasley out to prove size doesn't matter as No. 1 receiver

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cole Beasley out to prove size doesn't matter as No. 1 receiver
7:00 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. -- Cole Beasley does not look like a traditional No. 1 receiver.

A year ago, seven of the top 10 receivers in yardage were at least 6-foot-1, 198 pounds. Beasley is 5-8, 180 pounds.

While the Dallas Cowboys profess they will go with a committee approach at receiver as they look to replace Dez Bryant, Beasley has been the leader of that committee at least as training camp has progressed.

“My old high school coach Fred Highland used to say, 'When they get off the bus don't look at the big guys. The big guys are playing because they are big. Look at the little guys. The little guys are playing because they are good,’” Garrett said of his coach at University Heights High School outside Cleveland. “So we have a few little guys on our team who are pretty good. A lot of teams around the league have those guys too.”

Sizing up the top receivers

While most of the top receivers from last season were over 6-0, 200 pounds, Antonio Brown proved it's not always about size.

The Cowboys will not ask Beasley to do what the Atlanta Falcons ask of Julio Jones (6-3, 220). The same with Michael Thomas (6-3, 212) of the New Orleans Saints.

Antonio Brown is considered the best receiver in the game and he is just 5-10, 180 pounds, but his frame is thicker than Beasley's. Tyreek Hill (5-10, 185) had 75 catches for 1,183 yards for the Kansas City Chiefs a year ago. Brandin Cooks (5-10, 183) caught 65 passes for 1,082 yards and seven touchdowns for the New England Patriots but was traded in the offseason.

The Patriots have made do with undersized receivers over the years, from Troy Brown (5-10, 196) to Wes Welker (5-9, 190) to Julian Edelman (5-10, 198) and Danny Amendola (5-11, 190). Of course, they have Tom Brady at quarterback.

Since Jerry Jones has owned the Cowboys, the No. 1 receivers have looked like Michael Irvin (6-2, 207), Keyshawn Johnson (6-4, 212), Terrell Owens (6-3, 226), Miles Austin (6-3, 215) and Bryant (6-2, 220). The Cowboys’ biggest free-agent pickup, Allen Hurns is 6-1, 208. Their highest drafted receiver, Michael Gallup, is 6-1, 205.

“I mean, I don’t think it matters," Beasley said. "How everybody plays is different out there anyway. I’ll have my own strengths and weaknesses out there, just like everybody else.”

Beasley has been fighting perceptions since he joined the Cowboys as an undrafted free agent in 2012. It doesn’t matter that he might be able to win a dunk contest against his bigger teammates. He has always been viewed through a slot-receiver prism.

He has excelled there. In 2016, Beasley led the Cowboys with 75 catches for 833 yards. He added five touchdown catches. His numbers dropped drastically in 2017 -- 36 catches, 314 yards and four touchdowns -- but the entire passing game slumped last season.

In training camp, the Cowboys have moved Beasley all over the field, and for the first time appear willing to give him a legitimate chance to be an outside receiver and expand the type of routes he runs.

“How big is Antonio Brown, 5-10? But he doesn’t win with physicality, he wins with elite quickness and speed and savvy, right?” receivers coach Sanjay Lal said. “He’s a really good releaser. He’s really good at everything. He’s one I’d point to who’s not 6-1 and you have no problem with him outside or anywhere.”

The fear of being swallowed up by the bigger corners outside at the snap played a part in the reluctance to use Beasley more outside. Plus, in the slot, he has been a difficult matchup. His numbers were down last year in part because of the extra attention he received from defenses. They knew Dak Prescott favored him in certain situations and felt comfortable in leaving one on one coverage outside more than in the past.

“He’s just a different matchup for people,” offensive coordinator Scott Linehan said of using Beasley outside. “Cole, we’ve got to be able to get over the top with him when he’s out there and he’s got that sneaky speed.”

The biggest adjustment Beasley has had to make this summer has little to do with dealing with bigger corners. It’s all the running he has to do now.

“Definitely worn out, man,” Beasley said. “And we’ve had some receivers go down too, so it’s been a struggle. A lot more reps. … So I just have to find a way to recover and get everything back right and keep going.”

If the lack of ideal size is a concern for the offense, there has to be an advantage for Beasley outside. Lal said Beasley’s quickness is an advantage because the bigger corners do not react as well.

“It seems like there’s a lot of space out there, man,” Beasley said. “I like it. So if I can get a DB running, I feel like I can stop faster than him and transition better than DBs do. The ones outside are usually bigger, too, so it’s even more so out there.”

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Beasley doesn't have the speed of any of those sub-6 footers, though. Not even close, really.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So this is where we're at now, eh?

Beasley is a glorified TE who isn't going to impact shit beyond 10-15 yards unless he catches the ball with a head of steam and has a lane in the open field.

He's a good piece of an overall system that doesn't rely on an individual "number one" but that's it. Just because he might end up leading the team in receiving yards with like 800 doesn't mean he's a "number one".

Oh, and Lord help us if he has to consistently beat Press/Man off the LOS.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Wait what?? Why is Archernola trying to sell the idea of Beasley as a wr1 when we just put out a depth chart Tuesday with Hurns as wr1

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
This fantasy of the Beaz being a #1 is dumb.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Hurns might surprise some people. I watched the guy quite a bit in 2015 I believe, and he was doing some really good things for the Jags.

Beasley as anything other than a 3WR is just laughable.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Maybe because of 2016, where Beasley led the receivers. Yes, while Dez was here.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Hurns might surprise some people. I watched the guy quite a bit in 2015 I believe, and he was doing some really good things for the Jags.
I am eager to see how Hurns and Dak connect. It would be a very welcome sight not to watch drop after drop again.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I am eager to see how Hurns and Dak connect. It would be a very welcome sight not to watch drop after drop again.
I'm more into the young guy Gallop. I'm hoping he can wrestling the #2 spot away from Terrance Williams this season.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I'm more into the young guy Gallop. I'm hoping he can wrestling the #2 spot away from Terrance Williams this season.
And I expect Williams to have a better season as well. He used to be able to stretch the field; I want him to do that again.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Given that Williams and Beasley are quite literally the only receiving targets on the roster that Dak has any familiarity with (unless you want to count Swaim) I don't really see it. I do expect Gallup to be the 2, if not the 1, by next season though.

At any rate, I'm not getting caught up in the individual concept of "1" vs "2" vs "3" with this group of receivers. What we more or less have here is a large group of "2/3" types without a clear "1". Gallup will probably be our 4th best WR but I expect him to be far better than most team's 4th, same goes for Austin who will probably be our 5th, and Thompson as our 6th.

We need to use that depth to create mismatches by matching those guys up against 4th/5th CB's on other teams instead of trying to fit them into pre-conceived notions of who our "1" is, who the "2" is and so forth.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Given that Williams and Beasley are quite literally the only receiving targets on the roster that Dak has any familiarity with (unless you want to count Swaim) I don't really see it. I do expect Gallup to be the 2, if not the 1, by next season though.

At any rate, I'm not getting caught up in the individual concept of "1" vs "2" vs "3" with this group of receivers. What we more or less have here is a large group of "2/3" types without a clear "1". Gallup will probably be our 4th best WR but I expect him to be far better than most team's 4th, same goes for Austin who will probably be our 5th, and Thompson as our 6th.

We need to use that depth to create mismatches by matching those guys up against 4th/5th CB's on other teams instead of trying to fit them into pre-conceived notions of who our "1" is, who the "2" is and so forth.
Yeah on game day I imagine we will be rotating in 4 or 5 WR's anyway. So I'm not overly concerned with giving them specific names. And then of course if one guy starts to really produce he will probably see more playing time and balls coming his way.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yeah, the rank and order is not so important. It’s about production.

vince

Not So New Member
Where the hell is Hurns? Isn't he supposed to be some big shot number 1 receiver?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:lol

Whatever.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol

Whatever.
Yeah I don't think he can stretch the defense but he is right in that we need to at least threaten with it sometimes. It's too easy to bracket him and jump all the short stuff. You need to at least make the defense think it's possible for him to run something beyond 10 yards.

One of our problems last year is that we pidgeonholed receivers into very specific roles so that defenders were only defending a few different routes on each receiver.

Top Bottom