2017 Mock Drafts

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm calling Fournette a bust in the NFL. Not because of his athletic talent but strictly because I think he will battle the injury bug. The guy can flat out play and chances are I will eat my words, but I also agree Dalvin Cook will be the better of the two.
This is what I thought with Gurley as well. Of course he made me eat those words as a rookie and then slumped like no other as a sophomore. So who really knows. But I thought all those injuries in college would continue at the NFL level.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think they're both going to be great. It's McCaffrey I don't trust. I think he'll be a nice complimentary player for someone, but not give the type of production you want a 1st rounder to give.
McCaffrey is a bit difficult to judge. First of all we aren't use to seeing a white RB. And it just feels weird to be talking about a white RB being that highly drafted.

I like him but I could see him being more of a jack of all trades type RB. A guy who can make a big impact as a receiver/RB/Utility guy but who maybe is never a 1500 yard rusher. He just doesn't look to have the bulk to have a big carry load in the NFL. But I've also seen first hand how dynamic the guy can be as a receiver. And he is a hell of a good athlete as well. So maybe he is a RB who only gets you 800-1000 yards rushing but I think he will have a long NFL career in a platoon role. He screams NE Patriots.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
McCaffrey is a poor (white) man's version of Marshall Faulk. Faulk barely ever carried it over 300 times in a season but he also caught about 70 balls a year.

McCaffrey won't be as good, nor do I think he can handle 250 carries a year like Faulk, but I do think it's fair to call him a poor man's version.

As for Fournette, I think he's overrated because of how aesthetically impressive he is. People love to see the tall, lean running backs who gallop with speed and power, but I think in some cases that body type and running style can lead to injuries as it does with Fournette. Of course Peterson also had injury issues in college and got over them for the most part in the NFL, so Fournette could also, but I'd take a squattier, lower center of gravity RB like Elliott 10 times out of 10 over the tall, lean guys like Fournette.

D

Deuce

McCaffrey is a bit difficult to judge. First of all we aren't use to seeing a white RB. And it just feels weird to be talking about a white RB being that highly drafted.

I like him but I could see him being more of a jack of all trades type RB. A guy who can make a big impact as a receiver/RB/Utility guy but who maybe is never a 1500 yard rusher. He just doesn't look to have the bulk to have a big carry load in the NFL. But I've also seen first hand how dynamic the guy can be as a receiver. And he is a hell of a good athlete as well. So maybe he is a RB who only gets you 800-1000 yards rushing but I think he will have a long NFL career in a platoon role. He screams NE Patriots.
I think he'll be a bigger Danny Woodhead. Something like what we hoped Felix Jones would be. But that's not worth a 1st rounder to me.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think he'll be a bigger Danny Woodhead. Something like what we hoped Felix Jones would be. But that's not worth a 1st rounder to me.
Depends on the team. With the Patriots? Well worth the late first.

He is still a dynamic player. It is not his fault that teams have to find a way to use him right.

D

Deuce

Depends on the team. With the Patriots? Well worth the late first.

He is still a dynamic player. It is not his fault that teams have to find a way to use him right.
I dont think it's worth it for them either. Their pass rush sucks, they need to figure QB of the future out if Garrapolo is gone and they always seem to get productivity out of their backs. He'd be nice for them, but not a lot more than they got out of Vereen a few years ago and they let him walk.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I dont think it's worth it for them either. Their pass rush sucks, they need to figure QB of the future out if Garrapolo is gone and they always seem to get productivity out of their backs. He'd be nice for them, but not a lot more than they got out of Vereen a few years ago and they let him walk.
You don't understand how Belichick loves him some smart white guy players.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Waaaaaaaay better then Vereen. Better then Dion Lewis circa 2015. And better then Woodhead.

But it will take the right team. I don't think for example that Dallas would be able to use him correctly (if we didn't have Elliott) to make him worth a first round pick. The Patriots however understand how to use a guy with that skillset. So do the Cardinals.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
All I know is that I'd love it if we drafted Taco Charlton. Aside from him being a great pass rusher, we'd finally have a decent fucking taco in Dallas.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Taco :towel

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Derek Barnett looked unstoppable against Nebraska. Broke Reggie Whites sack record too. Unfortunately he will be well gone by our pick.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I thought we'd be laughing at Philly for years because of the trade for Wentz, but Philly got amazingly lucky and did the right thing trading Bradford for Wentz and just falling a couple of spots in the first this year...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought we'd be laughing at Philly for years because of the trade for Wentz, but Philly got amazingly lucky and did the right thing trading Bradford for Wentz and just falling a couple of spots in the first this year...
That Bradford trade was so unbelievably dumb for the Vikes.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
All this DE talk, but we could use some impact at LB and DT

I assume the RT of the future is lurking in the 2nd or 3rd round

D

Deuce

IMO, Jaylon Smith and Chaz Green are going to get shots at starting someday before we look to fill spots early. I think DL is a given for our picks.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Collins/Crawford/McClain (assuming we re-sign him)/Thornton and Irving at times is a fine DT rotation. Obviously if the BPA is a DT you don't pass it up but I think DE and LB are clearly bigger needs, although if Smith is somehow healthy and ready to go in training camp then LB really isn't much of a need.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
IMO, Jaylon Smith and Chaz Green are going to get shots at starting someday before we look to fill spots early. I think DL is a given for our picks.
I agree with Smith.

As far as Green is this based on talent/deserves a chance/ think injuries are done or based on that's how the Cowboys have done it in the past?

For the record I do want DL addressed first but think they will have to address RT sooner than they want to. Collins is some kind of FA after next season (along with Martin) and well I don't think Green can stay healthy.

Top Bottom