Training Camp Thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Ten things to look for at Cowboys training camp
By Calvin Watkins 7h ago 4

The​ Cowboys’​ first training camp​ practice is three days away.​ With that in mind, let’s explore ten issues and​​ questions facing the team as it enters camp.

1. A clear-minded Zeke Elliott is good for the Cowboys. No matter what he says, Zeke Elliott’s mind wasn’t fully on football last year. How could it be, considering he was dealing with court hearings in hopes of halting a six-game suspension? You could blame his 983 rushing yards and 4.1 yards per carry on an inconsistent offensive line and defenses not respecting the passing game by loading up to stop him. Defenses will always have eight or nine players in the box to stop Elliott; he’s an elite running back with a great offensive line. But there were times you saw him run and thought: ‘He’s not there today.’ The Broncos game last season is one example of this. With suspensions behind him and a healthy Tyron Smith at left tackle, Elliott should perform at an elite level in 2018. And off the field, Elliott has been pretty quiet. We’ve seen football camps associated with his name more so than partying this offseason.

2. This is now Dak Prescott’s team. Jason Witten is retired, up in an ESPN broadcast booth. Prescott’s leadership will factor in more heavily than ever. He’s entering an interesting stage of his career because he if plays like he did in 2016, the Cowboys would be happy to extend his contract. If he’s the 2017 Prescott, the Cowboys can let his contract play out into its final year. Prescott must prove he’s the team’s franchise quarterback in 2018, in similar fashion to what Tony Romo did in 2007. There were good signs this offseason, with Prescott in numerous social media photos with his new core of wide receivers. It means something to him and the receivers to get this right.

3. The Cowboys franchised defensive end Demarcus Lawrence, but let’s not feel sorry for the $17.1 million he’s paying taxes on in 2018. Lawrence finished tied for second in the NFL with 14.5 sacks in 2017. He dominated from Week 1 against the Giants through Week 17 against the Eagles. Can Tank do it again? He emerged as a marked man last year, but he’ll face challenges in his quest to pile up double-digits sacks yet again. Lawrence must block out the noise of a potential contract extension and be mindful that Khalil Mack has picked up double-digit sack totals the last three seasons; likewise for Chandler Jones. Before injuries slowed his Hall of Fame path, J.J. Watt went four consecutive seasons with double-digit sacks. It’s possible for Lawrence to reach double-digits in sacks and if he does so, a payday awaits.

4. Jason Garrett seems to have his job on the line every year. He’s perfect for Jerry Jones; Garrett knows The Cowboy Way of doing things, he helped reshape the franchise after four years under Wade Phillips. Garrett, however, has just one playoff win and two appearances in seven and a half years. The Eagles are the defending Super Bowl champions and the NFC is loaded with title contenders such as the Saints, Rams, Vikings, Packers, Falcons – and maybe even the 49ers if Jimmy G gets going again. If Eli Manning rebounds, the Giants will also be no pushover. It’s time for Garrett to get the Cowboys in the playoffs in 2018 – and optimally, to make a deep playoff run.

5. Is Earl Thomas the answer to the Cowboys’ defensive woes? He’s a 29-year old defensive back who wants a new contract that would make him the highest-paid safety in the league. He once was at the top of the salary charts at his position, but more recent contracts pushed him down. Given that the Cowboys may soon have to decide about signing Lawrence, Prescott, and Elliott to big-money contracts, it just doesn’t make sense to trade for Thomas and extend him long-term. The Cowboys did this with receiver Roy Williams in 2008 and it ended badly for them. Should the Cowboys deal a fourth-round pick for Thomas? A fifth-rounder? A team official said Dallas will not give up much to trade for Thomas and they don’t expect the Seahawks to just give him away. Thomas can post workout videos and blow kisses to AT&T Stadium all he wants, but if he wants a big deal, trading and then extending his contract might not make good financial sense for the Cowboys.

6. Three of the Cowboys’ five offensive linemen are elite players. Connor Williams, a 2018 second-round pick from Texas, is hoping to join them. Williams has quick feet, strong hands and must work on his technique a little more, but he’s got the talent. It will be interesting to see if he’s working with the first-team in the opening preseason game at the 49ers.

7. Sean Lee is the anchor of the linebacker corps and maybe the defense as a whole, but here comes first-round pick Leighton Vander Esch, hoping to assume the mantle in time. He’s the future at inside linebacker and will be tested quickly in training camp. You can also look forward to the big Vander Esch family bus that might travel to every 2018 Cowboys game. It’s going to be interesting to see how Lee and LVE are paired up together.

8. The anthem. It’s a sore subject around the NFL. The players don’t want to be told what to do and some owners are dictating terms. Jerry Jones wants his players on the sidelines, with hands over hearts, standing at attention. Will every Cowboys player follow orders? The league and the union are at a stalemate over this issue, but Jones isn’t. He wants what he wants and he’ll probably get it. This is a young team, so expect the players to stand on the sidelines during the anthem. However, what happens when the opposing team has some players in the locker room during the preseason? What will the perception of the Cowboys’ players be then?

9. The Cowboys don’t have a No. 1 receiver. Is this a big deal? Well, yeah, if you believe the Cowboys will miss Dez Bryant. Terrance Williams is coming off a foot injury and an embarrassing arrest. Cole Beasley is a rapper coming off a below-average season. Joining this duo is third-round pick Michael Gallup, free agent pickup Allen Hurns and trade acquisition Tavon Austin. Noah Brown, Deonte Thompson, Lance Lenoir, Cedrick Wilson, and KD Cannon round out the list. The Cowboys should keep six receivers with Austin as that extra running back/slot receiver Scott Linehan wants to utilize in unpredictable spots. It’s going to be fun to watch how Austin is used, but Hurns and Williams are No. 2 receivers who will be working to assume a larger role. This position group will likely look very different in 2019 (yes, we’re talking about 2019), but there is no certainty the two key vets, Beasley and Williams, will be brought back. So pay particular attention to the younger receivers.

10. Here are three players worth watching and reading about during training camp:

Cooper Rush is the No. 2 quarterback, but in this unpredictable NFL world, is he ready to take over should something happen to Prescott?
Kavon Frazier is competing for the starting strong safety job. Frazier started six games last season.

Cedrick Wilson is a Boise State wideout who was picked in the sixth round. He was a first-team All-Conference selection in 2017 and could make an impression in training camp.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm holding out big time hope that Kris Richard is the real deal and that he will take a very prominent role this year.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
The countdown to the first torn ACL has begun.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Super excited.
Feh. I am keeping my optimism in check. Richard is not coordinating the D yet. And remember back when Kiffin was here, we were supposed to run a variant of "Seattle" defense. We saw how that turned out.

Cotton

Staff member
Feh. I am keeping my optimism in check. Richard is not coordinating the D yet. And remember back when Kiffin was here, we were supposed to run a variant of "Seattle" defense. We saw how that turned out.
Kiffin already had one foot into retirement by the time he got here.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Kiffin already had one foot into retirement by the time he got here.
But all we heard from the staff to the players how they were "excited" for the change to the hot defense at the time.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Wooohoooo!!!

Great to see the Training Camp thread up.

Anyone on board going to be able to make it to any sessions?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I’m just excited in general. Think the defense has a chance to be pretty good, the best in years. The running game can be top notch. The passing game may struggle but I just keep telling myself, sure, it’s a passing league, but look at Minnesota, Jacksonville, etc, none of them had high octane passing offenses. I don’t think the Dak of last year with this WR corps could get it done, but if Dak takes a big third year step, he could do a lot with these guys. Hurns can reasonably approximate what Bryant gave us, Beasley can take up Witten’s slack as the third down guy, and if Gallup is a steal and is contributing starter caliber play by mid season, that could be enough.

I would feel so much better if we had one more safety, one more run stopper, one more TE and one more WR, though.

Cotton

Staff member

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
There are some reasons to be optimistic but I would feel a whole lot better if we had either an elite-level passer or top-notch offensive coaching to get the most out of this receiving corps.

As it stands, Dak Prescott certainly has ability but he's not at the level of a guy who makes his pass-catchers better players and we all know the shortcomings of this offensive staff.

If this were 2014 Tony Romo under center or we had someone like Andy Reid overseeing the offense, then I think this unit could have a chance to be pretty good and the lack of a true #1 receiver wouldn't be such a big deal.

But as things currently stand, I can't say I have a lot of faith in the Cowboys being able to get the most out of their passing offense with what they currently have in place from both a personnel and coaching standpoint, but with Zeke in the fold for the entire season there's no reason why they can't have at least a competent offense.

Hopefully they surprise me.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Are there any WRs available for trade? Could we swing Tyrone Crawford for a WR and Terrance Williams for a DT?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Terrance is working hard to make it back on time...spending lots of time on tne bike.

:terrance

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Are there any WRs available for trade? Could we swing Tyrone Crawford for a WR and Terrance Williams for a DT?
They signed Hurns and Thompson, drafted Gallup and Wilson, and traded for Austin, I'd be shocked if they made another move and make things more crowded unless someone gets hurt.

DT is a different story with the Collins injury and Irving's continued idiocy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They signed Hurns and Thompson, drafted Gallup and Wilson, and traded for Austin, I'd be shocked if they made another move and make things more crowded unless someone gets hurt.

DT is a different story with the Collins injury and Irving's continued idiocy.
Yeah, I think they made their bed with the WR situation after free agency and the draft. I am all for dumping Williams, but since it cheaper to keep her, he is not going anywhere.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Best thing about training camp: politics will take a backseat.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If this pic does not get you excited for camp, then you are just dead inside:

Top Bottom