Watkins: How Randy Gregory got his life back on track and earned his NFL reinstatement

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I think it's foolish to assume the guy will come back and immediately flirt with double-digit sacks. As long as he's in the regular rotation and on the field during passing downs, I think 5 sacks is about the most we should realistically expect from him.

Even 5 sacks could seem a bit high but there have been a few occasions where athletes return from an extended absence from their sports and made an immediate impact upon their return. Different sport but very similar circumstances....Josh Hamilton returned from a multi-year absence from baseball and immediately produced at a fairly high level.

So I wouldn't be completely shocked if Gregory immediately becomes one of our better pass rushers.
Honestly I don't think we need Gregory. We've got a pretty promising rookie DE. We've got Taco and Lawrence. I'm sure Crawford will continue playing some DE. So I'm not really counting on Gregory to do much this year. But at the same time there is no denying the guys potential and keeping that window open in case he comes and shows the ability to rotate in during passing situations. Having the ability to shift Taco inside on third and longs and have Lawrence and Gregory at the end spots certainly sounds intriguing.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Honestly I don't think we need Gregory. We've got a pretty promising rookie DE. We've got Taco and Lawrence. I'm sure Crawford will continue playing some DE. So I'm not really counting on Gregory to do much this year. But at the same time there is no denying the guys potential and keeping that window open in case he comes and shows the ability to rotate in during passing situations. Having the ability to shift Taco inside on third and longs and have Lawrence and Gregory at the end spots certainly sounds intriguing.
It is one thing to count on him as gravy. But to say we don't need him? Uh, Charlton was largely ineffective last year and Crawford needs to be gone but will just hang around.

p1_

DCC 4Life
It is one thing to count on him as gravy. But to say we don't need him? Uh, Charlton was largely ineffective last year and Crawford needs to be gone but will just hang around.
I say we do need him, and we need him to deliver some of the skill he's flashed before he jacked up his career. This could be a great story for the team if he excels.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I say we do need him, and we need him to deliver some of the skill he's flashed before he jacked up his career. This could be a great story for the team if he excels.
Of course it could. But I am not holding my breath.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I’m hopeful, but not unrealistic. If Gregory has truly turned a corner and can do this, it would be outstanding. We need someone to complement Lawrence, badly.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Charleton is a first rounder who flashed last year. Lawrence was one of the best defensive ends in the NFL. I agree with you on Crawford at least. But we drafted another DE who I like as a prospect. We've got other depth guys.

So yes, Gregory would be icing on the cake. But I'd always love to have double digit sack bookends.

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life
Lawrence will see double teams this year. He would benefit greatly from the presence of another disruptive player.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lawrence will see double teams this year. He would benefit greatly from the presence of another disruptive player.
I agree. I'd love 4 disruptive guys across the line at all times. I wish Irving wasn't such a dumbass because I think he is an elite 3 technique. But we won't get him back until the fifth week of the season. Still teams are going to have to pick their poison with him and Lawrence. You double Lawrence and it makes it really difficult to double team Irving. Not without running very limited formations with your WR's and TEs.

Top Bottom