Watkins: How Randy Gregory got his life back on track and earned his NFL reinstatement

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Two things.

I think it's horseshit that the league dictates that a suspended player can't have any contact with their teammates, some of whom are probably the players' best friends. I get not allowing them into the training complex and such, but banning them from having contact with their friends is BS.

Second. Has anyone seen any pictures of him lately? I was wondering if he's bulked up any. Last time he was on the field it looked like gaining 10-15 pounds would do him some good.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Second. Has anyone seen any pictures of him lately? I was wondering if he's bulked up any. Last time he was on the field it looked like gaining 10-15 pounds would do him some good.
I've heard reports. I know a month or two on the radio they were talking about how he had lost a bunch of weight but that he was now back into the 250-260 pound weight range. But I doubt we will find out anything official until he is actually able to have contact with the team and reports for camp. When they were talking about it at least he was working out really hard. Again it was a report on NFL radio on Sirius so take it for what it's worth.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Two things.

I think it's horseshit that the league dictates that a suspended player can't have any contact with their teammates, some of whom are probably the players' best friends. I get not allowing them into the training complex and such, but banning them from having contact with their friends is BS.

If this was a routine punishment over a routine matter I would agree that it is over the top but everything about this circumstance is pretty much on the extreme side. You have a an individual who has been warned many times about breaking the rules but continued to do so almost in a manner of thumbing his nose at the owner of the team, the League Commissioner and his team mates.

No matter that the point of contention is a mixed bad as far as what is fair or unfair because of the acceptance or non acceptance of a habit. Underlying that is whether an individual can choose or disregard the rules and the Commissioner because the think they can choose to obey or disregard both based on their own preference.

With that as a backdrop, the Commissioner is putting the reins on the player and dictating the conditions under which is the way the player can rejoin the team as well as be a repressentive of the league.

Forget the fact that it is over pot because pot isn’t on trial, the system is exercising a mandate and it is doing so to see if the player is committed to following the rules even though he may not agree with them.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Staff member
If this was a routine punishment over a routine matter I would agree that it is over the top but everything about this circumstance is pretty much on the extreme side. You have a an individual who has been warned many times about breaking the rules but continued to do so almost in a manner of thumbing his nose at the owner of the team, the League Commissioner and his team mates.

No matter that the point of contention is a mixed bad as far as what is fair or unfair because of the acceptance or non acceptance of a habit. Underlying that is whether an individual can choose or disregard the rules and the Commissioner because the think they can choose to obey or disregard both based on their own preference.

With that as a backdrop, the Commissioner is putting the reins on the player and dictating the conditions under which is the way the player can rejoin the team as well as be a repressentive of the league.

Forget the fact that it is over pot because pot isn’t on trial, the system is exercising a mandate and it is doing so to see if the player is committed to following the rules even though he may not agree with them.
I'm not sure you're aware of this but the NFL's "no contact with teammates" policy is for ALL suspended players, not just repeat offenders like Randy Gregory.

For instance, Tom Brady had a squeaky clean record prior to the Deflate-gate nonsense. Yet when he was handed his 4 game suspension he could not have any contact whatsoever with his teammates or coaches.

I think it's BS that the NFL extends their authority into a guy's personal life like that. Like I said, I understand preventing guys from participating in practices, visiting team facilities, etc., but preventing a guy from calling up his friends to hang out or whatever, has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm not sure you're aware of this but the NFL's "no contact with teammates" policy is for ALL suspended players, not just repeat offenders like Randy Gregory.

For instance, Tom Brady had a squeaky clean record prior to the Deflate-gate nonsense. Yet when he was handed his 4 game suspension he could not have any contact whatsoever with his teammates or coaches.

I think it's BS that the NFL extends their authority into a guy's personal life like that. Like I said, I understand preventing guys from participating in practices, visiting team facilities, etc., but preventing a guy from calling up his friends to hang out or whatever, has always rubbed me the wrong way.
Agreed. You would think, especially in a case of possible mental concerns, they would want them to have that support system to help them work through whatever it is that is affecting them.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Agreed. You would think, especially in a case of possible mental concerns, they would want them to have that support system to help them work through whatever it is that is affecting them.
I hear you and accept your position but a couple of points may be valid, the mental concerns are something the Union at a minimum should be addressing with the Commissioner and possibly the team owner. Also it may be a concern by the league that his buddies is a negative influence on him and they are attempting to help him from getting the wrong kind of exposure.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
This just means that next week the NFL will be announcing that weed is no longer a banned substance. :lol

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
The Cowboys waited on a player who has played in just two games the last three seasons. His return bolsters their defensive line.[/QUOTE]

Feh. Sorry, I get theres some excitement from some guys here about Gregory returning, but lets face the facts here. The guy hasn't played football, or even practiced in forever. He hasn't been under the watch of a strength coach, or anyone to run him thru a regimen similar to what he would be doing under the Cowboys.

To even insinuate his return bolsters ANYTHING is simply being a damn homer. Unless you are counting his return bolstering the Jones family ego.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I’ve never seen one pre-season game generate so much overrated hype.

The team stupidly started him game one and after his one-trick pony move generated a pressurehe then squares up against someone who outweighs him by 100 pounds and his knee buckles.

Then it’s on-again, on-again pot suspensions.

Talk about a guy with a long way to go.

But I’m glad he fought his way back.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I think it would be great if he has his shit together and can actually contribute but I won't hold my breath. Dude still has stuff to prove both on and off the field as far as I'm concerned..

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think it would be great if he has his shit together and can actually contribute but I won't hold my breath. Dude still has stuff to prove both on and off the field as far as I'm concerned..
I have some reservations also. I am in a holding pattern on him.

Cotton

Staff member
Feh. Sorry, I get theres some excitement from some guys here about Gregory returning, but lets face the facts here. The guy hasn't played football, or even practiced in forever. He hasn't been under the watch of a strength coach, or anyone to run him thru a regimen similar to what he would be doing under the Cowboys.

To even insinuate his return bolsters ANYTHING is simply being a damn homer. Unless you are counting his return bolstering the Jones family ego.
Looks like Booze has a challenger for the DFDC title.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

I'm going to go ahead and take up for player on this one. I greatly believe in personal responsibility but there seems to be a mental health issue involved as well. He is ultimately deserving of punishment but I'd think cutting him some slack is not out of line in this situation.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Looks like Booze has a challenger for the DFDC title.
I don't disagree with Unc. He really hasn't done anything yet. Rarely do you see a guy turn out after an extended leave.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't disagree with Unc. He really hasn't done anything yet. Rarely do you see a guy turn out after an extended leave.
You can go ahead and shut your mouth, too!

1bigfan13

Staff member
The Cowboys waited on a player who has played in just two games the last three seasons. His return bolsters their defensive line.

Yeah I think it's foolish to assume the guy will come back and immediately flirt with double-digit sacks. As long as he's in the regular rotation and on the field during passing downs, I think 5 sacks is about the most we should realistically expect from him.

Even 5 sacks could seem a bit high but there have been a few occasions where athletes return from an extended absence from their sports and made an immediate impact upon their return. Different sport but very similar circumstances....Josh Hamilton returned from a multi-year absence from baseball and immediately produced at a fairly high level.

So I wouldn't be completely shocked if Gregory immediately becomes one of our better pass rushers.

Top Bottom