Davison: Cowboys' RB Ezekiel Elliott welcomes heavy workload going into 2018

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Feed Zeke: Cowboys' RB Ezekiel Elliott welcomes heavy workload going into 2018
BY DREW DAVISON
June 14, 2018 01:39 PM

The "Feed Zeke" mindset isn’t going to change for the Dallas Cowboys.

That’s more than OK with running back Ezekiel Elliott, of course.

"I’m all for it, you know what I mean?” Elliott said as the Cowboys wrapped up minicamp on Thursday.

"A lot is asked from the running back for the Dallas Cowboys, a lot has been asked for me the past two seasons, and I think I’ve had some great strides this offseason getting ready to carry that workload this season."

Running backs coach Gary Brown made it clear that Elliott will be relied upon heavily, particularly early on with an unproven cast of receivers. But this isn’t a change in philosophy by the Cowboys.

Elliott has been the focal point since joining the organization as the fourth overall pick in 2016. He led the NFL in rushing his rookie season, and was off to another strong start last season before serving a six-game suspension in the middle of it for violating the league’s personal conduct policy.

How much did the Cowboys rely on Elliott? They put the ball in his hands 39 percent of the time on offense.

Elliott combined for 268 touches (242 rushes and 26 receptions) of the 691 offensive snaps during the 10 games he played. That number could increase this season.

As Brown retold what he said to Elliott, “Come in and be in the best shape of your life. Be ready to get a lot of carries early. It is going to be a situation where defenses are going to try to stop us. They are going to try their best, but they are not going to be able to.”

Elliott, who turns 23 next month, is carrying that same mindset into Year 3. He expects to have a standout season, but wasn’t going to publicly state any particular rushing numbers he’d like to put up.

"We’re just going to go in with the goal of winning the next game," Elliott said. "It’s not really about that bigger picture yet. Right now, it’s so early we’re just focusing on developing that camaraderie and getting ready for camp."

Elliott will spend this five-week break until training camp by taking some time off, but staying engaged with his teammates and his workout routine. He is trying to become more of a leader for the team and has discussed with quarterback Dak Prescott the importance of getting the offensive playmakers together between now and camp.

"We have a lot of young receivers and guys with a lot of skill that don’t have much experience in the pros, so I think if they want to make the impact they could make this season, then they’re going to have to come and work these next five weeks," Elliott said. "It’s going to be important for us to put in some work these next five weeks."

Elliott’s leadership has been on display during these offseason workouts with him being more vocal during drills. Then, on Thursday, coach Jason Garrett had Elliott lead the team in stretches at the beginning of practice.

Elliott said he’s becoming more comfortable in a leadership role.

"It’s a little bit tougher for me to be a vocal leader," he said. "I like to go out there and work. I think it takes a little bit more extra effort to kind of encourage guys to come with you, so it’s definitely something I had to work on."

Said wide receiver Cole Beasley: "I know he’s saying that, but I already feel like he’s been a vocal leader for us. Maybe he feels like he needs to improve, but I feel like he’s done a good job of that and been there for all of his guys. I don’t really think he needs to improve on it. I think he’s done a good job all along."

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Gotta mix his carries up. Zeke runs hard and gets beat up. He’s not the electrifying runner who entertains with moves and quickness. Zeke does it the hard, hard way.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Scarbrough can handle 8-10 carries a game, they just have to find times to peel some carries off here and there for him.

Save the 25-30 carry games for Elliott when we really need it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Scarbrough can handle 8-10 carries a game, they just have to find times to peel some carries off here and there for him.

Statement games and the playoffs. The real way to reduce Zeke’s carries is to pass more. Dak has to grow, period.

The coaches will never trust other RBs otherwise.

Cotton

Staff member
Gotta mix his carries up. Zeke runs hard and gets beat up. He’s not the electrifying runner who entertains with moves and quickness. Zeke does it the hard, hard way.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah Zeke is actually pretty elusive for a big guy. He doesn't just find defenders and try to run them over.

Here is every TD since he entered the league. He does not run to contact, but if contact is inevitable he does lower his shoulder. But, the idea that he is not elusive and runs to contact is silly.

p1_

DCC 4Life

If Scarbrough makes the team .

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Scarbrough makes the team .
If you count Austin as a RB I think you need 4 RBs. If you count him as a WR then probably only 3. I think Scarbrough is the easy favorite for that third RB spot (or fourth) but if someone else beats him out awesome. I don't think you can afford to go only 2 RBs with the amount of runs we want in this offense.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Oh here we go with Jackson again.....

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Exactly. He was all but fucking out of the league.

We're talking about the dregs of the roster here in 6th and 7th rounders that everyone talks about but rarely if ever actually become anything better than a camp body.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly. He was all but fucking out of the league.

We're talking about the dregs of the roster here in 6th and 7th rounders that everyone talks about but rarely if ever actually become anything better than a camp body.
RBs become studs from late rounds all the time.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Nobody is saying Jackson is amazing or anything, but it's not even remotely a stretch to say he might be better Scarbrough (whom I personally like as a prospect).

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Sorry, meant to say I personally DON'T like Scarbrough as a prospect.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yep. I don't think Elliot will hold up as well as Murray did with a heavy load. Murray knew how to deflect and he knew what angles he could use to go through a tackler. Elliot runs with a lower center of gravity so he will be subject to heavier impact.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep. I don't think Elliot will hold up as well as Murray did with a heavy load. Murray knew how to deflect and he knew what angles he could use to go through a tackler. Elliot runs with a lower center of gravity so he will be subject to heavier impact.
And Murray played at Oklahoma. Am I right?

Top Bottom