This Little Pipeline Protest

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
You still don't get it.

So I guess it's ok for me to call the right racist and bigots since most of stormfront is aligned with them.
Apparently you didn't read what I wrote my friend. I said that what you are saying is exactly what the Dems and media has been doing this entire election. Painting the entire Republican party as racists ad bigots because of groups like you just mentioned. A lot of the people protesting having lost the election are carrying the signs claiming exactly that. Even Michelle Obama with here "We have lost hope" comments. When 99% of Conservatives or Republican denounce the groups you mentioned.

Not the case with the Dems who actually cater to far left idealogs. They may not approve of some of their violence, but they absolutely believe in their ideas and try to use the EPA etc to put it inplace via laws and policy.

jeebs

Brand New Member
I have traveled by train many years ago in Europe, but don't really remember the experience. If I had a vacation where I had time, I would love to go somewhere by train.
I would love to travel by train as well, I had a great experience doing it in Europe. Just don't think it is going to be done financed by the fares, it would require massive 80-90% subsidies in the vast majority of cases.

In Europe only 1-2 routes are profitable without subsidies, yet they connect Florence to Rome, while California works on building Bakersfield to Fresno

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I would love to travel by train as well, I had a great experience doing it in Europe. Just don't think it is going to be
Not in our lifetime. Most of the passenger rail roadbeds in this country has been discontinued.

jeebs

Brand New Member
Not in our lifetime. Most of the rail roadbeds in this country has been dismantled.
In this day and age, I think they fact the right of ways of rail roads still owning those right of ways would be more important than the roadbeds. We can still lay roadbeds, getting the right of way is damn near impossible.

That would actually be a fun project for a guy with 10-20 million and time on his hands. Can you enforce some old right of way you bought for next to nothing.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
In this day and age, I think they fact the right of ways of rail roads still owning those right of ways would be more important than the roadbeds. We can still lay roadbeds, getting the right of way is damn near impossible.

That would actually be a fun project for a guy with 10-20 million and time on his hands. Can you enforce some old right of way you bought for next to nothing.
All of the rail systems in existence now in the US is owned by freight companies. I,m not sure these rails will accommodate high speed passenger trains. It would be a humongous undertaking to try to acquire road bed right of ways.

JMech

Brand New Member
Just scanning around the board this morning and found this thread. I had some uncertainty regarding this ND situation so I did a little research to find that there was in excess of 400 meeting with all parties to cover all the concerns before moving forward. I reached out a friend in North Dakota to see if he had any inside knowledge of what was going on. Here was the reply:

The oil company or pipeline company originally offered 10 million to the Indian tribes to cross their land, they said no and wanted 20 million, the oil company then re-routed it to just miss the Indians land and that’s how the small protests started by that reservation, only under the guise of that they were worried about the environment, which had nothing to do with it.

It always comes down to money...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
THANK YOU FOR ASKING USDOT TO MEASURE PEOPLE, NOT JUST CARS
ADVOCACY
by Caron Whitaker
Thank you!

Because of your support, US DOT has acknowledged that biking and walking have a role to play in reducing congestion and improving air quality!

Late yesterday the US Department of Transportation released their final version of performance measures — including air quality, congestion and performance of major roads. US DOT’s initial proposed measures focused exclusively on cars by measuring only the speed or travel times or cars and trucks. Had the rule stood, it would have incentivized states to build new road capacity and increase speed; it would have also impeded states' and communities’ complete streets and vision zero policies.

Earlier this summer we asked you to weigh in on that draft rule, imploring US DOT to measure people not just cars: including people walking, biking, carpooling or taking transit. Thanks to your responses, and those of our allies, US DOT made significant changes to the rule.

This week, USDOT made available the revised system performance rule, which is vastly improved due to comments and suggestions they received. They reported that over 95 percent of the comments they received — including the roughly 6,000 sent by League advocates and member organizations — called for multi-modal transportation measures and/or greenhouse gas emissions measures.

Here is a short summary of the changes to the rules:

A MULTI-MODAL MEASURE

The rule creates a multi-modal performance measure that will measure the percent of travel made by non-single occupancy — as a measure to reduce congestion. States will have to establish targets to increase biking, walking an transit.

STATE DOTS WILL HAVE TO TRACK THEIR IMPACT ON CARBON DIOXIDE EMISSIONS

Under the new rule, state transportation agencies will be required to plan for and monitor the impact of their project on green house gas emissions. This will apply to National Highway System roads, including both interstate and other major roads such as arterials and state highways.

This should encourage states and MPOs to invest in biking and walking projects to help reduce congestion and improve air quality.

MEASURING PASSENGERS NOT JUST VEHICLES

Finally the performance measures will still measure travel time and vehicle speeds but will also account for the number of people in those vehicles (person-miles instead of vehicle miles). This will incentivize transit, carpooling and ride–share options over single occupancy vehicles.

This improved focus on the people that use our streets, rather than just the vehicles, is an important win, but the fight isn’t over yet. Our next step will be ensuring that both these performance measures as well as our win on the bike-ped safety performance measure are implemented in the most useful way possible.

The performance measures go into effect in 2018, which should give the new DOT Administration and the states time to prepare. The League and local partners will need to keep in touch with states and the DOT to understand the implementation process and find out how we can help.

Thanks again to everyone who helped with this campaign. You made a critical difference!

This is a big win for my industry. This will be the first time in our country's history that performance measures will factor in all forms of transportation. I know it may not seem like a big deal to most, but this is massive for me. Building wider roads isn't always the answer, and this is the first time the feds have officially acknowledged that. :towel

townsend

Banned
THANK YOU FOR ASKING USDOT TO MEASURE PEOPLE, NOT JUST CARS
ADVOCACY
by Caron Whitaker
Thank you!

Because of your support, US DOT has acknowledged that biking and walking have a role to play in reducing congestion and improving air quality!

Late yesterday the US Department of Transportation released their final version of performance measures — including air quality, congestion and performance of major roads. US DOT’s initial proposed measures focused exclusively on cars by measuring only the speed or travel times or cars and trucks. Had the rule stood, it would have incentivized states to build new road capacity and increase speed; it would have also impeded states' and communities’ complete streets and vision zero policies.

Earlier this summer we asked you to weigh in on that draft rule, imploring US DOT to measure people not just cars: including people walking, biking, carpooling or taking transit. Thanks to your responses, and those of our allies, US DOT made significant changes to the rule.

This week, USDOT made available the revised system performance rule, which is vastly improved due to comments and suggestions they received. They reported that over 95 percent of the comments they received — including the roughly 6,000 sent by League advocates and member organizations — called for multi-modal transportation measures and/or greenhouse gas emissions measures.

Here is a short summary of the changes to the rules:

A MULTI-MODAL MEASURE

The rule creates a multi-modal performance measure that will measure the percent of travel made by non-single occupancy — as a measure to reduce congestion. States will have to establish targets to increase biking, walking an transit.

STATE DOTS WILL HAVE TO TRACK THEIR IMPACT ON CARBON DIOXIDE EMISSIONS

Under the new rule, state transportation agencies will be required to plan for and monitor the impact of their project on green house gas emissions. This will apply to National Highway System roads, including both interstate and other major roads such as arterials and state highways.

This should encourage states and MPOs to invest in biking and walking projects to help reduce congestion and improve air quality.

MEASURING PASSENGERS NOT JUST VEHICLES

Finally the performance measures will still measure travel time and vehicle speeds but will also account for the number of people in those vehicles (person-miles instead of vehicle miles). This will incentivize transit, carpooling and ride–share options over single occupancy vehicles.

This improved focus on the people that use our streets, rather than just the vehicles, is an important win, but the fight isn’t over yet. Our next step will be ensuring that both these performance measures as well as our win on the bike-ped safety performance measure are implemented in the most useful way possible.

The performance measures go into effect in 2018, which should give the new DOT Administration and the states time to prepare. The League and local partners will need to keep in touch with states and the DOT to understand the implementation process and find out how we can help.

Thanks again to everyone who helped with this campaign. You made a critical difference!

This is a big win for my industry. This will be the first time in our country's history that performance measures will factor in all forms of transportation. I know it may not seem like a big deal to most, but this is massive for me. Building wider roads isn't always the answer, and this is the first time the feds have officially acknowledged that. :towel
That's cool. :thumbsup

Cotton

Staff member
Hope it's the start to integrate more clustered/nodal mixed land-use, as opposed to just laying down a 15mile bike lane on a 4-lane expressway.
That's all up to the planners. It needs to be couched as safe access for all modes for the purpose of lowering traffic congestion and carbon footprints. If it is couched in that manner the spectrum of how those monies can be spent is a broad one. Then, planners like me and my colleagues can use that money for practical solutions instead of throwing a bike lane stripe or bus-actuated traffic signals at the problem. The answer is much more robust than that, and this step is the first in hopefully many to find a more sustainable solution.

And, as I have alluded to before, I am not an environmentalist. But, I use environmentalists for their enthusiasm and pure numbers. More people in my court is always a good thing.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Today Trump reversed Obama's shutdown of the Keystone and Dakota Access pipelines.

Props, you magnificent bastard. The boom is back on. :towel

Cotton

Staff member
Today Trump reversed Obama's shutdown of the Keystone and Dakota Access pipelines.

That's good news. My budget it tight enough has it is. I can't have diesel prices going back up to 4 bucks a gallon.

Cotton

Staff member
What is jurisdiction you oversee? All of TTU, just TTU residential or something? Does your dept have sole or joint decision-making ability off TTU land, or just courtesy input?
All of TTU. I do not have final say in land-use, of course, but I have input. TTU as an organization has sole decision-making over it's land use. Our department has a vote, but it's not nearly as loud a voice as the academic or administrative side of things.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Do you really thing that will start the boom again?

You are dumber than I thought.:lol

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah sure it was. :lol
I've worked in the oilfield for nearly 30 years. I'm hardly worried about what some second rate idiot that claims to be a teacher, yet can't even spell worth a damn or put together a coherent sentence might think about it.

Cotton

Staff member
I ask because I'm curious about how much influence or cooperation you've had with the City surrounding TTU, as I imagine there's a huge population of off-campus Red Raiders living within 10 miles of campus.
I am on a few different committees within the community (Chamber of Commerce, Healthy Living, A committee call Imagine Lubbock Together, etc.)

I knocked on the mayor's door (the one at the time) 8 years ago talking about complete streets (multi-modal access). We have now, 8 years later, gone past design into construction on a complete street project that will connect Tech with not only downtown but also the canyon bike trails network. Only took me 8 years. :lol

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I am on a few different committees within the community (Chamber of Commerce, Healthy Living, A committee call Imagine Lubbock Together, etc.)

I knocked on the mayor's door (the one at the time) 8 years ago talking about complete streets (multi-modal access). We have now, 8 years later, gone past design into construction on a complete street project that will connect Tech with not only downtown but also the canyon bike trails network. Only took me 8 years. :lol
Well you have a lot to look forward to. By the time you retire you might get a sidewalk to parallel the road to the university from downtown. :wave:wave

Top Bottom