With Playoff Spot Secured Should Romo Play Now?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Back in the 2014 offseason, I thought Romo was done after he went on IR after the Redskins game.

So part of me never wants to count him out again. If Romo's truly healthy. With healthy Dez, and an all pro RB, I think it's possible he has a few more 2014ish performances in him. I just don't think he has the durability to do it 16 (or even 12) times.
This is where I'm at.

Could the offense be better with Romo?

I think it's a distinct possibility but Romo has been a low key slow starter throughout his career (over the first four games: 4 TD's:4 INT's in 2009, 22:5 the rest of the way, 7:5 in 2011, 24:5 the rest of the way, 5:8 in 2012, 23:11 the rest of the way, 7:4 in 2014, 27:5 the rest of the way). So how long would it take him to shake off the rust?

Two games? Four?

Can he even make it through that many games considering the fact that he broke his collarbone in the second game of 2015, then broke it again in his second game after returning and then broke his back in the second preseason game in 2016?

data

Forbes #1
Is anyone worried about Zeke? Rookie wall time with college season over.

get McFadden some reps.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

get McFadden some reps.
If every game was critical I might worry but coming off a 10 day break and assuming we clinch HFA at some point over the next 3 weeks he should get plenty of rest.

data

Forbes #1
You don't see any benefit in allowing Dak to rest plus avoid possible injury in meaningless games? Not to mention the potential benefit of having the backup tuned up in the event he is needed? Just some areas for consideration.
Listen to this man!!! 2007 playoffs would be different if TO hadn't turned his ankle against Carolina.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

get McFadden some reps.
I'd rather get get our second and third string RBs reps first. Would be nice to get the rookie a few carries.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

get McFadden some reps.
If we wrap up homefield before week 17, I wouldn't play Zeke a single down in the finale.

Not just for injury reasons, but to avoid any possible fatigue issues.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Good point about Romo's history of rusty starts. Best then to give him snaps as soon as possible once we've clinched.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good point about Romo's history of rusty starts. Best then to give him snaps as soon as possible once we've clinched.
NFL TV keeps reporting that if the Cowboys rest Dak this year they will play Sanchez for fear of getting Romo hurt.

I mean Jesus, if you can't trust the guy to play a half of garbage time football without getting hurt, how is he going to be a backup that you can count on?

p1_

DCC 4Life
Nope. Home field is the new objective.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
NFL TV keeps reporting that if the Cowboys rest Dak this year they will play Sanchez for fear of getting Romo hurt.

I mean Jesus, if you can't trust the guy to play a half of garbage time football without getting hurt, how is he going to be a backup that you can count on?
If that's true they must fear some kind of team schism. I mean WTF?

He's either the backup or he isn't.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

You are a dumbass if you think there are guys who champion Romo that wouldn't jump on if he took over. Namely his BFF.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I think they have come to expect Romo to get hurt easily and are petrified of him getting hurt. It's pathetic really.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Dallas is going to blow their chances this year just to try to prove a point. It is starting to show now. Their best chance to get through the preseason is Romo. Plain and simple.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Dallas is going to blow their chances this year just to try to prove a point. It is starting to show now. Their best chance to get through the preseason is Romo. Plain and simple.
That ship has sailed.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
So what is your solution then? Insert Romo back as the starter now?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Pretty soon, yes.

I don't think you can do that. Part of the folly of sticking with Dak once Romo got healthy is they now have to navigate developing a young QB while simultaneously trying to win a championship. You can't just yank him for poor performance and risk damaging his psyche and confidence. He has to be so bad it forces our hand.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't think you can do that. Part of the folly of sticking with Dak once Romo got healthy is they now have to navigate developing a young QB while simultaneously trying to win a championship. You can't just yank him for poor performance and risk damaging his psyche and confidence. He has to be so bad it forces our hand.
That's certainly is probably the way things will sift out and no one more than me hopes Dak works through all this. The huge but or however is do you put it all on the table and let the chips fall or you go with what might be a take it all option. Glad it's not not my decision.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
That's certainly is probably the way things will sift out and no one more than me hopes Dak works through all this. The huge but or however is do you put it all on the table and let the chips fall or you go with what might be a take it all option. Glad it's not not my decision.
IMO you are overestimating Romo's chances of getting to and winning the Super Bowl at this point in his career, having played in 4 games the past two years. Sure he has the experience factor that would give him a leg up on Prescott but he also has a track record of coming up short. I disagree that it is "plain and simple", in your words, that Romo gives them the best chance. He might, but to say it is plain and simple is essentially stating it as fact, which it is not.

I think letting the chips fall with Dak is the right play. If he fails in the playoffs then next year when Romo is no longer on the team you have a QB in Prescott who led his team to the playoffs as a rookie and who will have gained some playoff experience. If you stick Romo back in there and he does anything but win the Super Bowl then you are left with nothing more than "Well, once again a Romo-led team failed to get it done" and a franchise and fanbase—and possibly a significant portion of the team—left wondering "What if they just let it ride with Dak?". Obviously if Romo never gets a chance there will be the "What if they would have put Romo in there?" narrative, but we have had 10 years of Romo and nothing of significance to show for it.

As you said, glad it is not my decision because short of the Cowboys winning the Super Bowl whatever decision the organization makes is going to be second-guessed and heavily scrutinized.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
IMO you are overestimating Romo's chances of getting to and winning the Super Bowl at this point in his career, having played in 4 games the past two years. Sure he has the experience factor that would give him a leg up on Prescott but he also has a track record of coming up short. I disagree that it is "plain and simple", in your words, that Romo gives them the best chance. He might, but to say it is plain and simple is essentially stating it as fact, which it is not.

I think letting the chips fall with Dak is the right play. If he fails in the playoffs then next year when Romo is no longer on the team you have a QB in Prescott who led his team to the playoffs as a rookie and who will have gained some playoff experience. If you stick Romo back in there and he does anything but win the Super Bowl then you are left with nothing more than "Well, once again a Romo-led team failed to get it done" and a franchise and fanbase—and possibly a significant portion of the team—left wondering "What if they just let it ride with Dak?". Obviously if Romo never gets a chance there will be the "What if they would have put Romo in there?" narrative, but we have had 10 years of Romo and nothing of significance to show for it.

As you said, glad it is not my decision because short of the Cowboys winning the Super Bowl whatever decision the organization makes is going to be second-guessed and heavily scrutinized.
Read again. I stated nothing as fact. I said Romo is a "might" take all option. Where is the "plain and simple" part that I was supposed to have said in the quote you responded to? I said that regarding getting through the rest of the season. I think it's evident via experience.

Top Bottom