2016 Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
By Clarence E. Hill Jr.
chill@star-telegram.com

A dream hatched only in the mind of owner Jerry Jones has finally been shattered by the long-known reality of linebacker Jaylon Smith’s injured knee.

Per coach Jason Garrett, the Cowboys are putting Smith on the reserve non-football injury list, effectively ending his season.

This has been the expectation since the Cowboys selected Smith in the second round of the 2016 NFL Draft, despite suffering a severe knee injury in his final game at Notre Dame.

He still has lingering nerve damage that not only clouded his ability to play this season, but possibly ever again.

The optimistic Jones, however, has consistently sold the idea that Smith could play this year. He was placed on the non football injury list even though the Cowboys doctors had expectations of him playing.

But Jones used it as a beacon of hope.

He said as much last Friday on his radio show on 105.3 The Fan.

“We don’t have him on permanent [injured reserve] because we really haven’t given up that he could have enough nerve regeneration that he could compete,” Jones said. “I don’t know where that is, only God knows. But on the other hand, I do know how he’s rehabbed. I do know what he’s about. He’s even more than we had expected.

“He unequivocally is going to be an outstanding defensive player for us, maybe a cornerstone player for us. So we’re way ahead of the game as far as acquiring talent for the future, with him alone.”

The future is the only target for Smith as any chances of him playing this season are over.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If I am betting, I doubt Smith plays a down for us.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd take that bet. Since the day we drafted Jaylon we all knew the odds of him playing this year were slim to none. This news shouldn't shock anyone or change their opinion on Smith.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I tend to agree especially since the nerve doesn't seem to be firing and it has been over a year from the injury. It should have had an indication by now.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'd take that bet. Since the day we drafted Jaylon we all knew the odds of him playing this year were slim to none. This news shouldn't shock anyone or change their opinion on Smith.
The fact that he still cannot pick up his foot has to be a cause for concern, I never thought he would be on the field this year, but any logical person should be concerned about his long term prospects.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The fact that he still cannot pick up his foot has to be a cause for concern, I never thought he would be on the field this year, but any logical person should be concerned about his long term prospects.
But if he could pick up his foot he would be playing this weekend though. So if you didn't think he would play this year, then you have to expect him to be medically where he is now. They have tracked the nerve and it sounds like there is no real reason for concern about the regeneration process.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
But if he could pick up his foot he would be playing this weekend though. So if you didn't think he would play this year, then you have to expect him to be medically where he is now. They have tracked the nerve and it sounds like there is no real reason for concern about the regeneration process.
The nerve has regenerated. The problem it that there isn't any neural impulse (firing) occurring. Unless the brain recognizes the regenerated nerve there Is no command to make the foot react correctly. Allegorically speaking he has been rewired but the electricity hasn't been turned on.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

And Dunbar lives to see another day. Christ. Every time you might want to start giving this front office and coaching staff some credit, they do shit like this. Cut a guy who might actually have a little talent and keep a guy we KNOW is pretty much useless. Hopefully Jackson can make the PS.

Cotton

Staff member

And Dunbar lives to see another day. Christ. Every time you might want to start giving this front office and coaching staff some credit, they do shit like this. Cut a guy who might actually have a little talent and keep a guy we KNOW is pretty much useless. Hopefully Jackson can make the PS.
Just so stupid. Not only is he not that talented, he can't even stay healthy half the time. Just dumb.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Just so stupid. Not only is he not that talented, he can't even stay healthy half the time. Just dumb.
I don't mind McFadden being activated. He has some utility and can help this team. He can run the ball, is a good receiver, and is a good blocker. All things that nobody would say about Dunbar.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't mind McFadden being activated. He has some utility and can help this team. He can run the ball, is a good receiver, and is a good blocker. All things that nobody would say about Dunbar.
I was actually talking about Dunbar. Sorry, I should have been more clear. I don't mind McFadden being activated, at all.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I just don't understand what they see in Dunbar.

I get that you can find a Darius Jackson in every draft. Well, you can sign a schlub like Lance Dunbar in every undrafted free agent pool too.

Just hate exposing Jackson. They thought enough of him to keep him on the 53 all year for a reason.

Cotton

Staff member

Joe Fan

Brand New Member

I agree. I don't get the infatuation st all. I highly doubt he makes it back to the PS.

Meanwhile we're stuck with this POS Dunbar.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
I was actually talking about Dunbar. Sorry, I should have been more clear. I don't mind McFadden being activated, at all.
Agreed. Don't mind the call to activate McFadden at all. Just not at the expense of Jackson while Dunbar is still on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom