QB Controversy Thread...

data

Forbes #1
Was anyone stumping for Bledsoe, when Romo started to have some poor performances in 06? He had actually taken a team to the SB.
No, but there was clamor for Kitna in 2011, coming off his 2010 success, after Romo's NY Jets debacle.

townsend

Banned
Not an apt comparison.

Everybody knew Bledsoe was done because he was average at best during all of 2005 and however long he played in 2006, not to mention the previous 10 years.

Romo on the other hand was an MVP candidate his last somewhat healthy season and everything since then has been marred by injuries. Yes, he played like shit against Carolina last year and wasn't great against Miami, but he also wasn't 100% as he obviously came back early.
I get that, but I feel like there's some naivety when people assume that just because he played really well 2 years ago (even though he still had two horrid games) that he'll be that person again after a long long time away and two broken bones,

It'd be like assuming Adrian Peterson will have 1500 yards and 11 TDs next season.

data

Forbes #1
Griffin and Kaepernick were both gimmick QB's who enjoyed the vast majority of their success based on the year or two that the read option was actually a viable base offense.

Foles might be the best comparison because his success wasn't based on running 5-10 times a game like was the case with Griffin and Kaepernick, but even he had the benefit of playing in Chip Kelly's offense which hadn't yet been figured out by the NFL.

Long story short, those other three were in offenses that were in large part smoke and mirror, read option type of stuff that got figured out in a year or two. Prescott has primarily been making plays in a mostly traditional passing attack, albeit with the luxury of our OL and running game.
Only a retard/troll claims Prescott's similar to RG III and Kaep.

The purpose of the comparison is that everyone's so quick to anoint Prescott and get rid of Romo in 2017. Specifics are different, but we may not see Pro Bowl Prescott again.

Read option thrived because defenses were unfamiliar with QBs running ability. The outside defender lost his gap once the handoff was shown. After a season, outside defender adjusted aggressiveness, maintained control and read option squashed.

Jet sweep action and PA bootlegs worked remarkably better in the season's 1st half because defenses were unfamiliar with Cowboys running this, coming from the decade of Romo-film. In the last several games, outside defender has adjusted aggressiveness and these plays aren't producing.

LT Fan, Ravidubey and Genghis have been preaching all along that Dak's limited downfield passing would hurt us and now it has.

Not a single play like read-option, but the gimmick in our offense is to cover short and Dak can't hurt you deep. Zeke is gonna Zeke, but just contain/isolate damage to just Zeke (like the old Michael Jordan's gonna score 50, just don't let others hurt you) because defenses know Garrett/Linehan can't resist the pass. Be patient because Cowboys will fall back on the pass - they won't run Zeke 3 times in a row.

I root for Dak - I like his character thus far - but I also don't pretend that there's a one-year wonder element to his game, either.

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
Keep naming black guys...might hit eventually.
I didn't even remember he was black. Feel better if I said Tebow? Tommy Maddox? Brian Griese?

You're 100% sold that Dak Prescott is the future? No chance he's just a one-year wonder like Foles, et al?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't think anyone has said we need to start Romo yesterday. The time for that was Pittsburgh.

The combination of being able to develop our QB of the future while simultaneously contending for a Championship outweighed the claim Romo had to the starting job.

But if the QB of the future stops performing at a high level at this critical juncture, the risk to this season's success may invalidate the aforementioned combination. Romo's own rust also affects the equation.

We'll see.

Whatever happens, Romo should be practicing full speed.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I get that, but I feel like there's some naivety when people assume that just because he played really well 2 years ago (even though he still had two horrid games) that he'll be that person again after a long long time away and two broken bones,

It'd be like assuming Adrian Peterson will have 1500 yards and 11 TDs next season.
I agree, I'm just saying I get wanting to see what Romo can do if Prescott has another game against Tampa like he had against New York.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I didn't even remember he was black. Feel better if I said Tebow? Tommy Maddox? Brian Griese?

You're 100% sold that Dak Prescott is the future? No chance he's just a one-year wonder like Foles, et al?
By mentioning suck QBS like they have any relation is just silly. I don't know if he is anything other than a one year wonder. But he gives us hope more than we have seen.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

The purpose of the comparison is that everyone's so quick to anoint Prescott and get rid of Romo in 2017. Specifics are different, but we may not see Pro Bowl Prescott again.

Read option thrived because defenses were unfamiliar with QBs running ability. The outside defender lost his gap once the handoff was shown. After a season, outside defender adjusted aggressiveness, maintained control and read option squashed.

Jet sweep action and PA bootlegs worked remarkably better in the season's 1st half because defenses were unfamiliar with Cowboys running this, coming from the decade of Romo-film. In the last several games, outside defender has adjusted aggressiveness and these plays aren't producing.

LT Fan, Ravidubey and Genghis have been preaching all along that Dak's limited downfield passing would hurt us and now it has.

Not a single play like read-option, but the gimmick in our offense is to cover short and Dak can't hurt you deep. Zeke is gonna Zeke, but just contain/isolate damage to just Zeke (like the old Michael Jordan's gonna score 50, just don't let others hurt you) because defenses know Garrett/Linehan can't resist the pass. Be patient because Cowboys will fall back on the pass - they won't run Zeke 3 times in a row.

I root for Dak - I like his character thus far - but I also don't pretend that there's a one-year wonder element to his game, either.
I get what you're saying but I don't think Dak is incapable of hurting teams deep. There's nothing intrinsic to his game that is being covered up by the scheme like was the case with some of the QB's you mentioned.

He certainly has had big plays deep down the sideline this year to Dez against the Steelers and Eagles, Butler against the Packers and Ravens, the big play to Dez against the Vikings, and so forth. I just think he's conservative by nature and it has worked completely fine up until this point, so who can blame him for sticking with it?

He will have to adjust and improve as defenses will certainly do so, but that's part of being an NFL QB.

It's no surprise that a rookie isn't able to consistently shred defenses up all year and the fact that he has shown that he can make defenses pay with the deep ball should be enough to give him the benefit of the doubt that he can improve and adjust, just like defenses can.

townsend

Banned

Can we be "sure" anyone is the future. Guys like Rodgers, Wilson, Luck, and Brees which were known commodities, have struggled.

The fact is Dak has a great temperament and skillset, but like every other QB in this league, he's a product of his environment. If he were drafted by Cleveland he'd probably be struggling. But that's true for Tom Brady too.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But a dazed and confused QB who looks like he has no answers for what the defense is throwing at him two weeks in a row? That's disconcerting.
Dak posted a 100+ QB rating against the Vikes. I'd hardly call him dazed and confused in that game. Maybe confused by all the penalties and only throwing the ball 18 times.

townsend

Banned
Dak posted a 100+ QB rating against the Vikes. I'd hardly call him dazed and confused in that game. Maybe confused by all the penalties and only throwing the ball 18 times.
Yeah he was forced in to a lot of long 3rd downs in Minnesota, and had a lot of good plays taken off the board. We won, because unlike this week, he didn't force the ball into coverage, and played mostly mistake free.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
QB rating again. :lol

They had 200 something yards of offense and 17 points. He certainly struggled in that game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

They had 200 something yards of offense and 17 points. He certainly struggled in that game.
He averaged 7.7 yards every time he threw the ball with a 66% completion percentage. Again, the offense struggled but Dak didn't have some horrible game as you imply.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Dak made key plays with his legs when the pass was stifled. He greatly contributed to the win.

But taken with the Giants game a pattern of how to beat the Cowboys has emerged. Something similar happened in 1995. The 49ers doubled covered Michael Irvin and put Jerry Rice in the slot and the team seemed to shut down. Then we lost Ray Donaldson and teams started mimicking the 49ers' adjustment.

We lost to the 49ers, Washington, Eagles, and nearly the Giants before stomping Arizona after Aikman discovered that Kevin Williams could catch passes too. That team was very poorly coached unlike this team so far.

Dak needs that same adjustment, and the coaches have to help him find it.

I have a feeling Terrance Williams is ready to break out and is our way through this slump.

Jiggyfly

Banned

It's a fallacy that Dak cannot hurt you deep and that ruins everything else in your thesis.

He just hurt Minny deep and could have had a play to butler for a long TD.

Saying he cannot hurt you deep sounds like he does not have the arm strength which anybody can see he does.

QB's across the league are putting up stinkers over the last couple of weeks, let's give some credit to the defenses we have played instead of going to the worst case scenario.

townsend

Banned
It's a fallacy that Dak cannot hurt you deep and that ruins everything else in your thesis.

He just hurt Minny deep and could have had a play to butler for a long TD.

Saying he cannot hurt you deep sounds like he does not have the arm strength which anybody can see he does.

QB's across the league are putting up stinkers over the last couple of weeks, let's give some credit to the defenses we have played instead of going to the worst case scenario.
Plus weather. It's just a hunch, but I bet there's a pretty strong correlation between QBs passer rating (especially away QBs) and temperature.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Plus weather. It's just a hunch, but I bet there's a pretty strong correlation between QBs passer rating (especially away QBs) and temperature.
Yeah, the cold in New York was having a massive impact on everyone in that game. It caused fumbles, drops, slips and honestly I think both QBs were struggling to grip the ball.

It also doesn't help them I'm not sure Dak has ever played football with snow on the ground.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah that stadium is known for being windy.

I am not going to lie he looked genuinely panicked in this game but the real surprise to me is that it took this long for him to show it.

Top Bottom