Justices side with Colorado baker on same-sex wedding cake

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Sanity prevails.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/justices-side-colorado-baker-same-sex-wedding-cake-142744589--politics.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court is setting aside a Colorado court ruling against a baker who wouldn't make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple. But the court is not deciding the big issue in the case, whether a business can refuse to serve gay and lesbian people.

The justices' limited ruling Monday turns on what the court described as anti-religious bias on the Colorado Civil Rights Commission when it ruled against baker Jack Phillips. The justices voted 7-2 that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission violated Phillips' rights under the First Amendment.

Justice Anthony Kennedy says in his majority opinion that the issue "must await further elaboration." Appeals in similar cases are pending, including one at the Supreme Court from a florist who didn't want to provide flowers for a same-sex wedding.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And FWIW, as I think this article obscures it somewhat, is that no one is asking for the ability to flatly deny general service to gay and lesbian people.

Just that they want the ability to pick and choose clientele for personalized services such as wedding cakes.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Also significant: The decision was 7-2. Kagan and Breyer both sided with the baker, in this obviously appropriate ruling.

Only permaloony Ruth Bader Ginsburg and her apprentice Sotomayor voted against the baker.

Come on, Ginsburg and Kennedy retirement. Crossing my fingers that it happens this term.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
LOL, yahoo has updated their article, leading off with "The Supreme Court has narrowly ruled in favor of a Colorado Baker...."

Yeah, 7-2 with two liberals switching to the common sense conservative side. Real narrow. No media bias though!

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
This is good news for freedom. You can't force a business to provide a service or product that they do not want to. There are so many bad things that could happen as a result of forcing the issue. That goes for all people on all sides of the fence. People can simply choose to not shop there, that is how commerce works. Let the market decide what it wants.

2233boys

Not So New Member
This is good news for freedom. You can't force a business to provide a service or product that they do not want to. There are so many bad things that could happen as a result of forcing the issue. That goes for all people on all sides of the fence. People can simply choose to not shop there, that is how commerce works. Let the market decide what it wants.
Discrimination in the public sector = freedom Curious

I am sure they felt the same way about buses and lunch counters at one time.

Total bastardization of Christianity if you ask me. It is what it is though.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

I don't get that viewpoint. You can't force private business owners to violate their beliefs. It doesn't matter if you agree with their beliefs or not. If it is a "christian" thing to do is an entirely separate issue.

What if a Muslim decided he didn't want to bake a Christian themed cake? Are you going to force him to do that? What if someone demanded that an Amish guy selling crosses make a pentagram or a wooden dick? How bout someone asking for a wooden inscription referring to technology? Who gets to determine which one is more conscience violating to which group? There are a ton of things that the government can't and shouldn't solve.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

It's not a blanket denial of service. Surely you can see a difference between that and refusing personalized messages on cakes or other forms of artistic expression.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Next we will sue Elton John for not singing a requested song of repentance.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't get that viewpoint. You can't force private business owners to violate their beliefs. It doesn't matter if you agree with their beliefs or not. If it is a "christian" thing to do is an entirely separate issue.

What if a Muslim decided he didn't want to bake a Christian themed cake? Are you going to force him to do that? What if someone demanded that an Amish guy selling crosses make a pentagram or a wooden dick? How bout someone asking for a wooden inscription referring to technology? Who gets to determine which one is more conscience violating to which group? There are a ton of things that the government can't and shouldn't solve.
DISCRIMINATION!!! Fundamentalist Muslim restaurants that provide catering services should be forced to provide the baked beans at my pig pickin'.

Whaaaa?!?? They cater. They should have to serve me. I'm not forcing them to EAT the pork, for chrissakes, just be around it, smell it, see everyone else eating it and pouring sauce on it and talking about how awesome it is. I'm just asking them to set up shop and have their baked bean platter be right next to my roasting pig, where I'm also displaying a sign that says, "Pork! The best meat! Everyone should eat it, at every meal!" They might be in the picture next to the pig or the sign, but whatevs.

Oh, I'm also going to have live nude strippers there, not wearing burkas, so.... you know, they better look away. But if they don't cater, I'm suing the shit out of them. Intolerant fucking assholes.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
DISCRIMINATION!!! Fundamentalist Muslim restaurants that provide catering services should be forced to provide the baked beans at my pig pickin'.

Whaaaa?!?? They cater. They should have to serve me. I'm not forcing them to EAT the pork, for chrissakes, just be around it, smell it, see everyone else eating it and pouring sauce on it and talking about how awesome it is. I'm just asking them to set up shop and have their baked bean platter be right next to my roasting pig, where I'm also displaying a sign that says, "Pork! The best meat! Everyone should eat it, at every meal!" They might be in the picture next to the pig or the sign, but whatevs.

Oh, I'm also going to have live nude strippers there, not wearing burkas, so.... you know, they better look away. But if they don't cater, I'm suing the shit out of them. Intolerant fucking assholes.
There's a joke about a woman on her period in there somewhere....

2233boys

Not So New Member
It's not a blanket denial of service. Surely you can see a difference between that and refusing personalized messages on cakes or other forms of artistic expression.
Considering that they didn’t address that at all, I am sure that someone will try to use this ruling as a way to not serve LGBT

townsend

Banned
I tend to think the line should be whether what you’re selling could be described as an artistic commission or not should be the litmus test. Is it a cake that you would have made for a straight couple, you should sell a gay couple the same item, is it personalized such that it requires the baker (or painter, scuplter, etc) to personalize it in a way that tacitly endorses something they believe is immoral? In that case I think refusal of service is reasonable. But I do think the standard should be more than names in icing, or cake toppers.

Say for instance an artist is asked to paint a gay couple kissing, I think being forced to paint it, for the purpose of non-discrimination would be a violation of the artist’s right of free expression.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Businesses are not public services, they are simply part of commerce. Forcing a business to provide services that they don't want to is a terrible idea.

Last edited:

Kbrown

Not So New Member

This wasn't gay people wandering into a bakery and being horrified that they wouldn't be served. This was intentionally designed to force a court case, because the activists will never stop at tolerance. They want total acceptance, under penalty of law.

And they won't stop at the old meanie Christianity. After they have finished with that, they will have no use for smiley face Christianity either, because what's the point?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Day drinking, huh?

Welp, see ya later.
Freaky. I am listening to the theme song to The Fresh Prince wen I read this post and "welp, smell ya later" hit my ears right before I read the last line of yours. Just freaky.

Oh, and good on the Justices. It is the right decision. Skid explained it best earlier in the thread. To force someone to serve/make/deliver goods that are against their beliefs is tantamount to fascism. You know, that thing that the left is saying the right is.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
People are dumb.

If a dude won’t bake you a cake, go down the street to the next bakery. Why would you want to spend hard earned money in an establishment that doesn’t want your business?

Other than the desire to stir shit up and play the victim, I don’t see another reason.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
People are dumb.

If a dude won’t bake you a cake, go down the street to the next bakery. Why would you want to spend hard earned money in an establishment that doesn’t want your business?

Other than the desire to stir shit up and play the victim, I don’t see another reason.
~gay nail on the head smiley~

Top Bottom