User Tag List

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 127

Thread: Two Years Later, Dak Prescott Has Problems

  1. #21
    Senior Member Simpleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,625
    Quote Originally Posted by deadrise View Post
    Guys, guys -- you're getting bogged down in debates over semantics, not seeing the forest for the trees.

    Chalk up Benoit's first sentence to sloppy writing, sloppy reasoning, or both. Put aside whether manipulating stats to suit an argument is sports writing heresy. Here's what he says about Dak: "He is a facilitating type of QB. He plays with a high pre-snap IQ, a poised post-snap decision-making process and a good-but-not-great arm, mixed with upper-shelf mobility."

    That's not bad for a 4th round pick. Is Dak one of those gold-plated, sure-fire, can't-miss franchise QBs taken in the first three or four picks overall? Probably not. And even some of those don't work out.

    Is he a QB that a smart, talented developer of QBs could groom into a pretty damn good QB? Very possibly. But we'll never know with the Red-Headed Stepchild at the helm.
    This is why I want to see what he could do under a different coaching staff before it is time to make a decision on him.

    I still suspect that if he were on a team like the Rams or Eagles you wouldn't see a drastic drop off in their offensive performance.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Cowboysrock55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    25,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleton View Post
    This is why I want to see what he could do under a different coaching staff before it is time to make a decision on him.

    I still suspect that if he were on a team like the Rams or Eagles you wouldn't see a drastic drop off in their offensive performance.
    Yeah it's difficult because I really want a new coach in here badly. But I also want to win games. So it's definitely difficult. I know that if Dak and this defense play well enough this team is going to kick out enough wins to probably save Garrett's job but I don't really want that. I also don't want to see Dak and this team fall flat on their faces. I don't know if I could stomach a season filled with Panthers like performances from this team. It's literally painful to watch.

  3. #23
    Senior Member deadrise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    Yeah it's difficult because I really want a new coach in here badly. But I also want to win games. So it's definitely difficult. I know that if Dak and this defense play well enough this team is going to kick out enough wins to probably save Garrett's job but I don't really want that. I also don't want to see Dak and this team fall flat on their faces. I don't know if I could stomach a season filled with Panthers like performances from this team. It's literally painful to watch.
    You want to see wins. How many? Garrett will get you 8 or 9 -- 10 maybe. But here's the key part of that article as it relates to your nausea over the Panthers game: "The problem is, this approach requires receivers who can win in space. Dallas’s current receiving corps resembles a rotation you’d see in the second quarter of a preseason game. Garrett and Linehan learned the hard way in the Week 1 loss at Carolina that a basic passing attack won't work. Guys couldn't get open and Prescott threw with little sense of timing and poor accuracy."

    How does a HC enter the season with no clue how to go up against the opening-day team? Why are they "learning the hard way" that their limp-dick, antiquated offense sucks? That their receivers are mediocre?

    Trade a few wins against another two or three or four years of Jerry Jones orchestrated mediocrity. Garrett ain't ever gonna be the one who takes a team to the promised land.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Cowboysrock55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    25,704
    Quote Originally Posted by deadrise View Post
    You want to see wins. How many? Garrett will get you 8 or 9 -- 10 maybe. But here's the key part of that article as it relates to your nausea over the Panthers game: "The problem is, this approach requires receivers who can win in space. Dallas’s current receiving corps resembles a rotation you’d see in the second quarter of a preseason game. Garrett and Linehan learned the hard way in the Week 1 loss at Carolina that a basic passing attack won't work. Guys couldn't get open and Prescott threw with little sense of timing and poor accuracy."

    How does a HC enter the season with no clue how to go up against the opening-day team? Why are they "learning the hard way" that their limp-dick, antiquated offense sucks? That their receivers are mediocre?

    Trade a few wins against another two or three or four years of Jerry Jones orchestrated mediocrity. Garrett ain't ever gonna be the one who takes a team to the promised land.
    I didn't really see the receivers as the problem in that game. It was poor passing play design and an inability to give Dak time to throw. It's pretty difficult to win when your QB is taking 6 sacks. And they weren't coverage sacks. Our coaches needed to compensate with some quick passes but they never did. Or they had our receivers running dumbass routes given the coverage and defense called. Having 2 guys running curl routes against press man when the defense is bringing the house is about as dumb as it comes. It was a very flawed offensive game plan. Then on top of that the sacks and penalties dug us into holes we weren't capable of climbing out of. The Giants game plan was way better. Probably because their pass rush sucks and we had some game film to study from this season. That and I think the coaches are still trying to figure out how to use these weapons the right way. I don't think our receiving talent is nearly as bad as they make it sound. Although I'd love to have an alpha dog at receiver as much as the next guy. And frankly our TE situation may be that bad. Rico right now looks like our best TE.

  5. #25
    Senior Member mschmidt64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    15,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleton View Post
    This is why I want to see what he could do under a different coaching staff before it is time to make a decision on him.

    I still suspect that if he were on a team like the Rams or Eagles you wouldn't see a drastic drop off in their offensive performance.
    I still suspect that is an insane conclusion.

  6. #26
    Senior Member ravidubey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    9,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Stars View Post
    I hate when people do this. If you're going to use stats to make a point, you shouldn't take out certain stats that don't fit your narrative. The very fact he did hit that pass is a big deal. I'm not saying Dak doesn't have a long road ahead of him to be the long-term answer at QB, because he does - but taking out his good moments when you're arguing your point, just makes me think you have an agenda.

    Ya know, take away 700 home runs from Babe Ruth and he's just a slap-hitting fat boy.
    The problem is Dak doesnít have a long road ahead before Jerry Jones just hands him a fricking gigantic contract.

    Itís a stone cold lock no matter how average this guy really is.

    Because heís better than a rock bottom schlub.

    Kind of like Garrett.

    Prepare for another decade of mediocrity or worse.

  7. #27
    Senior Member jsmith6919's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    9,880
    2018 DCC Super Bowl Bingo Champion

  8. #28
    Senior Member jsmith6919's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    9,880
    2018 DCC Super Bowl Bingo Champion

  9. #29
    Senior Member L.T. Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    17,129
    The one thing to be considered is that it is based on percentages. Taking that the bugaboo is Dak doesn’t throw that many long passes.
    Since Day One

  10. #30
    Senior Member Cowboysrock55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    25,704
    Quote Originally Posted by L.T. Fan View Post
    The one thing to be considered is that it is based on percentages. Taking that the bugaboo is Dak doesn’t throw that many long passes.
    Frankly he doesn't throw a lot of passes in general. We prefer to throw the ball less than 30 times a game.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •