Will Cowboys pay RG Zack Martin in excess of $13 million per year?

lostxn

DCC 4Life
With Zack Martin currently holding out of OTA’s until he gets the contract he deserves, it was reported that the Cowboys are expected to compensate him in a big way.
By Connor Livesay@ConnorNFLDraft May 27, 2018, 7:00pm CDT

One storyline after the first week of OTA’s was that Cowboys’ right guard Zack Martin would not be participating in practice until he inks a new deal with the team. Can you blame him?

Martin has been one of the best offensive lineman in football since entering the league in 2014. In his four years with the Cowboys, Martin has been selected to the Pro Bowl every single year, and also has two first team All-Pro selections on his resumé as well. Zack Martin is the definition of the “right kind of guy”, just as good off the field as he is on it. So what’s the hold up?

It was somewhat surprising that the Cowboys weren’t able to get a deal done with the former first-round pick last offseason, but everyone felt that it would happen before the start of the offseason program this year. Unfortunately, that hasn’t happened yet and the Cowboys currently have the fifth-year option in place that would fully guarantee Martin $9,341,000 in the 2018 season.

For a guy that’s played in every single game, and has been the best at his position, since entering the league, Martin and his team want long-term commitment making him the highest paid offensive guard in the NFL. It was reported by Pro Football Rumors early this morning that the Cowboys are expected to pay their right guard $13 million per season with a new contract.

Dallas expects to pay Martin at least $13MM per year. While only five linemen earn that, one of them is a guard. And as good as Andrew Norwell has been, Martin’s a more accomplished player with four Pro Bowls and two first-team All-Pro distinctions on his resume.

This is a big chunk of change to dish out to an offensive lineman that isn’t a left tackle, but as you can see he would be joined by some impressive company in Jacksonville Jaguars guard Andrew Norwell.

There is still a ton of offseason left, so I wouldn’t start to worry just yet, but it is something to keep an eye on as the offseason progresses. As it stands now, expect the Cowboys and Zack Martin’s side to come to an agreement on a new deal right around training camp at the end of July. That matches up perfectly for when Tyron Smith (July 31st), Travis Frederick (August 13th), and La’el Collins (July 25th) all received extensions, though this one probably won’t be as team-friendly as the other three.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Just pay the guy, jeez.

No reason to make this difficult.

He is the best interior lineman in the game.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Just pay the guy, jeez.

No reason to make this difficult.

He is the best interior lineman in the game.

Yeah, I don't know why it always has to be such a cat and mouse game. There's a framework, a template for what the guy should be paid. Just get somewhere close to that and be done with it. Why is there always such bullshit drama?

townsend

Banned
I would honestly rather go fishing at QB in 2020 than let Martin walk. But with Witten, Romo, and Dez off the books, I can’t imagine not being able to fit most of this team’s current standout talent under the cap. This is the first time in my memory where we don’t have a handful of high priced free agency busts hanging around the team’s neck.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Martin is in a place where a lot of players have been before. He has has a great history and every indication is that he has a lot of top notch talent left, however, this is also the exact same position that a lot of players for the organization got the big money contract a suddenly went downhill. They either lost their zeal or the guaranteed money took all the incentive away from the player to bust their ass any more. They stayed injured half the time and rode the bench as well as skipping training camps and practices.

It’s a precarious circumstance and in my opinion should be tied to a performance agreement. I know it’s difficult to get this done but if the player has good intentions he will agree to a fair agreement. Otherwise it becomes a crapshoot. This circumstance has caution written all over it.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Not that I am saying he’s not worth it, but are we really going to have the top paid offensive lineman in the league (to go with 2 other top 5 positional contracts), to be followed almost immediately by a huge defensive end contract, with potential huge RB and QB contracts looming? I get that we are spending nothing on WR, LB and CB and safety (yet), just thought this would have been done by now.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Martin is in a place where a lot of players have been before. He has has a great history and every indication is that he has a lot of top notch talent left, however, this is also the exact same position that a lot of players for the organization got the big money contract a suddenly went downhill. They either lost their zeal or the guaranteed money took all the incentive away from the player to bust their ass any more. They stayed injured half the time and rode the bench as well as skipping training camps and practices.

It’s a precarious circumstance and in my opinion should be tied to a performance agreement. I know it’s difficult to get this done but if the player has good intentions he will agree to a fair agreement. Otherwise it becomes a crapshoot. This circumstance has caution written all over it.
I could see that with Irving (idiot) and Lawrence (injuries/productivity), and Lee (injuries), but I don’t get that sense with Martin. The team’s choice with Martin is to make him the highest paid offensive lineman in the league with a ton of guaranteed money, or watch someone else do it next year.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I could see that with Irving (idiot) and Lawrence (injuries/productivity), and Lee (injuries), but I don’t get that sense with Martin. The team’s choice with Martin is to make him the highest paid offensive lineman in the league with a ton of guaranteed money, or watch someone else do it next year.
I am very careful to say that it is a circumstance. I am not standing in judgement of Martin. It’s one of those things that throws up flags saying be very diligent.

townsend

Banned
Not that I am saying he’s not worth it, but are we really going to have the top paid offensive lineman in the league (to go with 2 other top 5 positional contracts), to be followed almost immediately by a huge defensive end contract, with potential huge RB and QB contracts looming? I get that we are spending nothing on WR, LB and CB and safety (yet), just thought this would have been done by now.
I’m not sure it makes sense to break the bank for year 6 of Zeke. I think we should assume he’s gonna get the Demarco Murray treatment, and end up going to the Buccaneers to help them sell Jerseys.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Fuck it, let him walk.

13 million per for a guard?

Laughable.

Then when the time to pay someone really important, there is no money under this ridiculous system.

Something should be done where you should be rewarded for drafting well.

You should be able to pay original draft picks what the fuck ever and the cap should apply to free agents.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Fuck it, let him walk.

13 million per for a guard?

Laughable.

Then when the time to pay someone really important, there is no money under this ridiculous system.

Something should be done where you should be rewarded for drafting well.

You should be able to pay original draft picks what the fuck ever and the cap should apply to free agents.
That would break the league faster than a luxury tax. “Market value” would be set by drafted free agents who each sign for crazy money because their agents know there is no cap for them.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m not sure it makes sense to break the bank for year 6 of Zeke. I think we should assume he’s gonna get the Demarco Murray treatment, and end up going to the Buccaneers to help them sell Jerseys.
I'd rather pay the all time Olineman then Zeke.

Martin will get 13 mil and a few years from now 13 mil won't even be that much for a great guard. It's the nature of the league.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have 60 mil in cap space next year. No reason to worry.

Although I'd be hesitant to pay a RB big money. I may just draft a new one when the time comes. Of course RBs don't really get huge money either. Not comparatively at least.

p1_

DCC 4Life
It would be a financial coup to manage to keep this line together for a significant amount of time.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Pay Martin whatever it takes, I don't *think* it will take $13M/year because he has never struck me as the greedy holdout type. Rumors like this could be a negotiating tactic put out there by his agent, we've seen that happen plenty of times.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
We have 60 mil in cap space next year. No reason to worry.

Although I'd be hesitant to pay a RB big money. I may just draft a new one when the time comes. Of course RBs don't really get huge money either. Not comparatively at least.

We *have* to pay Zeke. I know RBs tend to be a dime a dozen, but this one's special. And, he's currently the only special talent on the offense. I shudder to think how mediocre this offense would be without him.

In fact, we saw a glimpse of it last year and it was some of the worst offense we've seen in the history of the franchise.

The good news is he'll still only be about 24 or so when we extend him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We *have* to pay Zeke. I know RBs tend to be a dime a dozen, but this one's special. And, he's currently the only special talent on the offense. I shudder to think how mediocre this offense would be without him.

In fact, we saw a glimpse of it last year and it was some of the worst offense we've seen in the history of the franchise.

The good news is he'll still only be about 24 or so when we extend him.
That's 3 seasons from now. It's a life time in the NFL. Who knows what other weapons we will have by then.

townsend

Banned
That's 3 seasons from now. It's a life time in the NFL. Who knows what other weapons we will have by then.
Not to mention, if he’s still that special in 3 years, we can franchise him and have had him for most of his prime.

I don’t really think there’s an NFL RB worth keeping more than 6 seasons.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I would extend Zeke if his production continues consistently and he keeps his nose clean until the time comes but I don't see a reason to rush into it. If he does, he's still fairly young and will have at least 6-7 solid years left in him.

Agree with Townsend, the RBs a team just can't live without are few and far between. Once they get too costly, even some all timers move on to different teams.

Top Bottom