A new dead horse to beat: What are your reactions to the NFL's anti-kneeling rule?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I’m sure there were plenty of people saying the same thing in the 60s. As it turns out, civil rights never seem important to the people who don’t need them.
Has absolutely nothing to do with liking or not liking civil rights. It has to do with not being able to demonstrate while on the clock.

The players can do or say whatever they want during their free time.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Has absolutely nothing to do with liking or not liking civil rights. It has to do with not being able to demonstrate while on the clock.

Townsend really likes himself some straw man arguments.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

townsend

Banned
And, they get paid millions of dollars for the teams to capitalize on them. They are paid employees.
They are not easily replaced employees. Don’t mistake the fealty employers expect from unskilled workers with no collective bargaining, and an incredibly finite workforce with a union. Balance of power is very different.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think there’s some lost nuance in this argument. Players sell tickets. If the NFL was just capitalizing on their ball catching, route running, ball throwing, tackling ability it’d be one thing, but this is an organization that depeds on an emotional connection to these players. These aren’t baristas at starbucks, these are people who fans love so much that they’ll pay 60 bucks for a shirt with their name on it. When the NFL gets to capitalize on your brand, on your TD celebrations and nick names and emotion and charity, personal struggle, you aren’t just an hourly employee punching your time card.
Doesn't that definition fit a WWE wrestler? Do you think they are free to do whatever they want while on TV?

townsend

Banned

Townsend really likes himself some straw man arguments.
Yeah, because athletes in the 60s never demonstrated on the clock.

But I guess saying athletes were
basically been brainwashed by the twitter SJW crowd into believing all kinds of things that aren't true.
said to me that according to ChoLab, what they were protesting (unarmed blacks being murdered) wasn’t real or important.

Maybe it’s not so much me arguing with a strawman, as conservatives consistently putting up bad arguments and changing the subject when they get called out on it.

townsend

Banned
Doesn't that definition fit a WWE wrestler? Do you think they are free to do whatever they want while on TV?
Much larger talent pool of independent contractors, and also, it’s fake. If the Eagles kneel on the sideline, Goodell can’t write them into a losing streak to diminish their brand.

Most importantly the WWE is a toxic damn organization that frequently hemorrhages fans thanks to their poor treatment of talent. NFL has a much broader fan base and a lot more to lose.

midswat

... soon
Sorry, he has given a mountain of evidence to show he is. Even Paul Ryan accused him of making racist statements. I understand you are pretty partisan but don't let it blind you. Know what you're signing up for.

But yeah, it would have been a non-story without Trump weighing in. The original intent of the kneeling has been totally and completely lost and now it's a fealty test to the President +/- the country.

We probably should move this discussion to the politics forum...:unsure
Literally been in the public eye for 40+ years.

Only accused of being “racist” when he went against the left.

I’d love to see verifiable proof of him making racist comments. Calling Haiti a shit hole doesn’t qualify. Discussing crime commited by illegal immigrants doesn’t qualify.

I’m not partisan. I actually consider myself more libertarian than anything else. But the left is so far out there and lacking in common sense that my drive by mocking of people like bipolar and townsend likely give that impression.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Much larger talent pool of independent contractors, and also, it’s fake. If the Eagles kneel on the sideline, Goodell can’t write them into a losing streak to diminish their brand.

Most importantly the WWE is a toxic damn organization that frequently hemorrhages fans thanks to their poor treatment of talent. NFL has a much broader fan base and a lot more to lose.
Well that's the point, it is fake. So is everything in the NFL leading up to game time. And your talent pool argument makes no sense. The NFL suspends players all the time. They clearly aren't concerned with the talent pool. And when you consider the number of college athletes who would love to play in the NFL it's just not a true argument. The talent pool is massive. You just have different skill levels inside that pool much like any career.

midswat

... soon

That’s right. And the lions share of NFL fans were against the idiotic and ineffective protest. They were experiencing losses and put a stop to it.

Have you addressed my earlier post about the NBA long making it a requirement for players to stand?

Where’s the fake outrage and claims of racism there?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I’m sorry I couldn’t have the brain capacity to be oilfield trash like you.
Whoa. A brain capacity barb directed at my job, even though you have absolutely NO idea what it is I do. That one hurt, man.

Cheer up. Just know that I could buy and sell your ass many times over, while my taxes support your crying, little buckaroo. Feel the Bern.

townsend

Banned
That’s right. And the lions share of NFL fans were against the idiotic and ineffective protest. They were experiencing losses and put a stop to it.

Have you addressed my earlier post about the NBA long making it a requirement for players to stand?

Where’s the fake outrage and claims of racism there?
It’s a reasonable point, but not really relevant because the rule wasn’t minted in response to a civil rights protest, NBA didn’t pick a side on an existing controversy.

townsend

Banned
Whoa. A brain capacity barb directed at my job, even though you have absolutely NO idea what it is I do. That one hurt, man.

Cheer up. Just know that I could buy and sell your ass many times over, while my taxes support your crying, little buckaroo. Feel the Bern.
I understand why you have a desire to own people, but unfortunately I’m not for sale.

Last edited:

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
The next person who erroneously claims this is a First Amendment issue deserves a tire iron to their head. The NFL tried to split the baby but only made things worse. Like we're not gonna notice that eight players are still in the locker room? Then you've got fools like the Jets' interim owner who promises to pay the players' fines if they kneel on the field. Just like that, you've undermined everything Goodell tried to do. Brilliant. Kneeling should either result in a disqualification or cost you a game check. That would put a stop to the nonsense.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, because athletes in the 60s never demonstrated on the clock.

But I guess saying athletes were said to me that according to ChoLab, what they were protesting (unarmed blacks being murdered) wasn’t real or important.

Maybe it’s not so much me arguing with a strawman, as conservatives consistently putting up bad arguments and changing the subject when they get called out on it.
That's not what he was talking about wasn't true. Try to follow along. He is saying that the athletes are being told by the SJW crowd that they have the right to protest while on the clock, and they absolutely do not have that right.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
They are not easily replaced employees. Don’t mistake the fealty employers expect from unskilled workers with no collective bargaining, and an incredibly finite workforce with a union. Balance of power is very different.
Totally wrong. There are tons of athletes who would fill the ranks if need be. No one would even pay attention to the quality of the game any more than they do now. There is no player or group of players who would shut down the system if they tried to break the sport. Wont happen.

Cotton

Staff member
WGAS. They are paid employees, subject to their employers wishes, period. They do not have the right to protest in that forum. It not a right afforded them by the Bill of Rights. And, i would like to see some examples of all these athletes in the 60s that protested for civil rights while at work.

Top Bottom