2016 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think Kiffin could be a guy who could be better after being humbled over the last couple of years.

Also he could have learned a lot from Saban.

It will be interesting to see how he does at the next spot.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think that's a much better hire than Kiffin would have ended up being
Agreed.

I think Applewhite is a bright mind and I think he's going to do well there and eventually end up coaching a big program.

He's just one of those guys that just comes across and just having it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I was always a huge Major Applewhite fan even dating back to his playing days. I was a semi-Horns fan when he walked into Austin and started lighting it up. To this day I think Mack Brown made a huge mistake when he benched Applewhite in favor of Chris Simms. The decision reeked of Brown making good on promises that he made to Simms and his father.

I don't have any confirmation of that but it was always my feeling.

And I loved when Applewhite came into that big game (a Big 12 title game I believe) and almost rallied the Horns to huge come from behind victory. The rally fell short as Texas was in too much of a hole largely thanks to Simms ineffective play. But that game was kind of a nice middle finger to Mack Brown. A "you could have had this all year but you tripping" moment.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I was always a huge Major Applewhite fan even dating back to his playing days. I was a semi-Horns fan when he walked into Austin and started lighting it up. To this day I think Mack Brown made a huge mistake when he benched Applewhite in favor of Chris Simms. The decision reeked of Brown making good on promises that he made to Simms and his father.

And I loved when Applewhite came into that big game (a Big 12 title game I believe) and almost rallied the Horns to huge come from behind victory. The rally fell short as Texas was in too much of a hole largely thanks to Simms ineffective play. But that game was kind of a nice middle finger to Mack Brown. A "you could have had this all year but you tripping" moment.
Agreed on all counts.

I don't know any UT fan that wanted Simms to play over him at any point, and that game you're talking about was the 2001 Big 12 title game played in Texas Stadium vs Colorado.

Had Applewhite played from the beginning, we win that game.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

You went from being a Horns fan to being a Sooners fan? How in hell did that happen?

1bigfan13

Staff member
You went from being a Horns fan to being a Sooners fan? How in hell did that happen?
Storytime with Uncle 1Big:

As many probably already know I was born in Texas and didn't move to OKC until I was around 8 years old. Therefore most of my family are Longhorn fans which resulted in me growing up kind of rooting for them as well since it was sort of a family thing. But being in Oklahoma during my middle school and high school years, I ended up taking more of a liking to the Sooners since pretty much all of my friends were Sooners fans. Plus we only lived about 20 minutes north of Norman.

Fast forward to the 90s and the Sooners weren't doing much of anything under John Blake, Howard Schnellenberger, and Gary Gibbs. Meanwhile the Horns had exciting players like James Browns, Ricky Williams, and the aforementioned Applewhite. So even though I considered myself a Sooners fan I still rooted for the Horns on the side because the Sooners flat out sucked and watching a solid Texas team at least gave me some CFB enjoyment.

I started cutting ties with the Horns a little at a time once the Big 12 was formed because they were now direct competitors to OU. Whereas prior to the formation of the Big 12 I could root for Texas to win the Southwestern Conference and for OU to win the Big 8. So Mack Brown's dissing of my boy Applewhite only accelerated the cutting of ties.

The end.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

As many probably already know I was born in Texas and didn't move to OKC until I was around 8 years old. Therefore most of my family are Longhorn fans which resulted in me growing up kind of rooting for them as well since it was sort of a family thing. But being in Oklahoma during my middle school and high school years, I ended up taking more of a liking to the Sooners since pretty much all of my friends were Sooners fans. Plus we only lived about 20 minutes north of Norman.

Fast forward to the 90s and the Sooners weren't doing much of anything under John Blake, Howard Schnellenberger, and Gary Gibbs. Meanwhile the Horns had exciting players like James Browns, Ricky Williams, and the aforementioned Applewhite. So even though I considered myself a Sooners fan I still rooted for the Horns on the side because the Sooners flat out sucked and watching a solid Texas team at least gave me some CFB enjoyment.

I started cutting ties with the Horns a little at a time once the Big 12 was formed because they were now direct competitors to OU. Whereas beforehand I could root for Texas to win the Southwestern Conference and for OU to win the Big 8. So Mack Brown's dissing of my boy Applewhite only accelerated the cutting of ties.

The end.
You lost me at "Storytime".

I kid, that's cool. I have been a Tech fan my whole life because of the reason you mentioned above. A ton of my family are Tech fans and I group around it. How my brother became a Longhorn fan is beyond me.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

I started cutting ties with the Horns a little at a time once the Big 12 was formed because they were now direct competitors to OU. Whereas beforehand I could root for Texas to win the Southwestern Conference and for OU to win the Big 8. So Mack Brown's dissing of my boy Applewhite only accelerated the cutting of ties.

The end.
Did you live in South OKC or Moore? For a short time I lived on SW 48th in OKC. Then built a home in Piedmont.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Which side of the tracks was that? Keep in mind your blackness is in question here.
Allow me to address this. Del City is a respectable area in the OKC metroplex.
:lol

Yeah, Del City is kind of a lower middle class suburb.

I did go to high school on the NE side of the city which is the "urban" area of the city.

To this day I don't understand the school zoning system. I lived in Del City but was bused past about 3 other high schools en route to the school that I ended up attending. Weird.

Last edited:

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Only in my dreams:

Down at the bottom of the page - http://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/sports/20161209/at-17200-per-toss-why-not-aspire-to-close-rather-than-open

According to the pre-emptive website, pacificsixteen.com, imagine a time when the conference has four geographic “pods” – all California teams in one, another for in the Northwest, another from the Mountain region and then add the Plains region of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas and Texas Tech – or basically, whomever survives the current Big 12, which is down to 10 and operates like a 6-year old

1bigfan13

Staff member
Me strutting into work on Monday after Army finally beat Navy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom