MLB Chatter Thread

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Wow...Desmond to Colo 5/70...he slots at 1B for them. Seems an odd signing, but he was good last year...except once AL pitchers had seen him a little more he only batted 230 in the 2nd half.
It sounds like they are most likely going to move Charlie Blackmon or CarGo and play Desmond primarily in the OF. He makes much more sense in the OF than at 1B.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Props to the Cubs for making that deal...Mets talked to them and they asked for Amed Rosario...lol...GFY KC.
I am pretty happy with the trade. Soler could turn out to be a 30 HR guy but righty 30 HR corner outfilders are not that special if they don't also field and/or run well and he does not. Really nice arm but a clumsy, lumbering OFer. He does have good strike zone recognition at the plate. I think with KC as his home park 30-35 HR DH/Corner OFer is his ceiling. That is not bad at all, but it isn't amazing. Plus, I am fairly skeptical he reaches that ceiling at this point. Has a hard time staying on the field. Lots of soft tissue injuries and most of them have come running the bases.

KC asked for Rosario? Lulz. No harm in asking I guess but the Mets are not retarded. He is pretty much their top prospect at this point isn't he? As if they are going to trade a promising 20 year old middle infielder for one year of Davis. The Cubs did that last year in the Torres for Chapman trade but they were postseason bound, Rondon had been hurt, they have Russell and Baez already, and it was a total 'final piece'/'all in' move. It would make no sense for the Mets who have a need in the middle infield.

Last edited:

dallen

Senior Tech
Wow...Desmond to Colo 5/70...he slots at 1B for them. Seems an odd signing, but he was good last year...except once AL pitchers had seen him a little more he only batted 230 in the 2nd half.
Good for him, but thankful the Rangers let him go

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Good for him, but thankful the Rangers let him go
If we get second half Gomez then I'm happy. We paid him 11.5 and Desmond got 14. Seems like we could have matched that but Ok with not matching. Probably would have regretted the length.

dallen

Senior Tech
If we get second half Gomez then I'm happy. We paid him 11.5 and Desmond got 14. Seems like we could have matched that but Ok with not matching. Probably would have regretted the length.
That was what jumped out to me. That's a long contract for an inconsistent player

Rev

Staff member
We stole Michael Hauschild from Houston.

:laff

:unsure

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like the White Sox are trying to follow in the Cubs footsteps. An absolute fire sale. Hopefully some of these prospects actually turn out.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Looks like the White Sox are trying to follow in the Cubs footsteps. An absolute fire sale. Hopefully some of these prospects actually turn out.
They got some very highly regarded prospects. Very high pedigree. It is nearly certain some of them will disappoint in the majors, but the odds of a couple of them being really good are pretty favorable.

Rev

Staff member
He's actually been a solid AAA pitcher with a decent major league ceiling.
He is going to get a shot for the #5 spot. Right now it looks like its AJ Griffin but who knows.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Mets and Rangers discussed Jay Bruce...Jeffress is said to be the player the Mets are seeking.

Rev

Staff member
Mets and Rangers discussed Jay Bruce...Jeffress is said to be the player the Mets are seeking.
I would welcome that deal.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
In addition to the big move for Wade Davis the Cubs have made a couple other minor moves to shore up the bullpen. Last week they signed lefty Brian Duensing, who is a career WGAS lefty but whatever. 1 year $2M. Maybe he can be a decent LOOGY, maybe he doesn't even make the team. They recently turned pile of garbage Trevor Cahill into a solid pen option and got a lot of good innings out of him so I am hoping for the same scenario with Duensing.

Yesterday they signed Koji Uehara. He will turn 42 on opening day and throws a mid-80s fastball these days. He has had a great career—his 0.86 WHIP is the lowest of all time for any pitcher with 400 or more IP—but I am skeptical that he is going to get the job done next season. They gave him a 1 year $4.5M deal, which isn't a lot but more than I would have offered him.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I would welcome that deal.
I can't believe how much Bruce fell off at such a young age. He is only 29 but, outside of a solid bounce back season last year (well, prior to going to the NYM) he has been shit for the past few years. He looked like he was going to be one of the premier slugging corner OFers for years to come. No idea why he went off the cliff after his age 26 season. I would take a chance on him if I were the Rangers and all I had to give up is Jeffress but I don't think it is realistic to expect much more than maybe some power with a shit average, very few BBs, and subpar defense.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Anybody want to give a breakdown of what type of player Reddick is and what should be expected of him?

I don't really follow many guys if they are not on the Astros and he seems to be a 270-280 guy who is a plus outfielder that hits for contact.

Something that was sorely needed seems like he will be an upgrade over Gomez and the hillbilly.

I guess I am asking is he closer to the guy who had allstar type numbers last year or the guy who showed up with the Dodgers?

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Anybody want to give a breakdown of what type of player Reddick is and what should be expected of him?

I don't really follow many guys if they are not on the Astros and he seems to be a 270-280 guy who is a plus outfielder that hits for contact.

Something that was sorely needed seems like he will be an upgrade over Gomez and the hillbilly.

I guess I am asking is he closer to the guy who had allstar type numbers last year or the guy who showed up with the Dodgers?
I think that has been one of the better signings of the offseason so far. It is a bit under the radar because he isn't a star, but he is a really good player. I was hoping the Cubs would trade for him at the deadline last year. He changed his approach a few years ago and doesn't really hit for power anymore but he is a very good contact hitter that is also good at drawing walks. Basically the opposite of the hillbilly, assuming that is Colby Rasmus. He is a solid defensive outfielder as well. He has a lot of personality too and has been pretty popular in the clubhouse throughout his career. The biggest knock on him is a common one with lefty batters...he is pretty shitty against left-handed pitching. They will probably sit him for a righty most times they face a LHP.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think that has been one of the better signings of the offseason so far. It is a bit under the radar because he isn't a star, but he is a really good player. I was hoping the Cubs would trade for him at the deadline last year. He changed his approach a few years ago and doesn't really hit for power anymore but he is a very good contact hitter that is also good at drawing walks. Basically the opposite of the hillbilly, assuming that is Colby Rasmus. He is a solid defensive outfielder as well. He has a lot of personality too and has been pretty popular in the clubhouse throughout his career. The biggest knock on him is a common one with lefty batters...he is pretty shitty against left-handed pitching. They will probably sit him for a righty most times they face a LHP.
Yeah the Hillbilly is Rasmus I could not remember his name.:lol

Ok that's how I kinda looked at him but on the the Astros message boards some people act like its not much of an upgrade.

Our lineup needed some good contact guys because it was too prone to slumps and strikeouts last year.

I still hope we go after McCutcheon because that would be a great outfield but I don't know what his contract looks like moving forward and if he is starting to show signs of decline.

D

Deuce

In addition to the big move for Wade Davis the Cubs have made a couple other minor moves to shore up the bullpen. Last week they signed lefty Brian Duensing, who is a career WGAS lefty but whatever. 1 year $2M. Maybe he can be a decent LOOGY, maybe he doesn't even make the team. They recently turned pile of garbage Trevor Cahill into a solid pen option and got a lot of good innings out of him so I am hoping for the same scenario with Duensing.

Yesterday they signed Koji Uehara. He will turn 42 on opening day and throws a mid-80s fastball these days. He has had a great career—his 0.86 WHIP is the lowest of all time for any pitcher with 400 or more IP—but I am skeptical that he is going to get the job done next season. They gave him a 1 year $4.5M deal, which isn't a lot but more than I would have offered him.
They should probably offer Kris Bryant for Alex Colome.

Top Bottom