2016 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'll be shocked if Kiffin is able to keep the momentum going that Herman built. Kiffin strikes me as one of those guys who is best suited to be a career coordinator. If he bombs out in Houston he may not eveer get another decent HC job.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'll be shocked if Kiffin is able to keep the momentum going that Herman built. Kiffin strikes me as one of those guys who is best suited to be a career coordinator. If he bombs out in Houston he may not eveer get another decent HC job.
Hasn't he already bombed once as HC of Southern Cal or do I have him confused with someone else.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Hasn't he already bombed once as HC of Southern Cal or do I have him confused with someone else.
Yep. He was unimpressive at USC and had 1 so-so year at Tennessee.

I don't remember all the specifics but it was a bit surprising that USC fired him midseason in year 4 considering he took over a program that was mired in controversy and dealing with NCAA sanctions.

dallen

Senior Tech
Yep. He was unimpressive at USC and had 1 so-so year at Tennessee.

I don't remember all the specifics but it was a bit surprising that USC fired him midseason in year 4 considering he took over a program that was mired in controversy and dealing with NCAA sanctions.
Yeah, I don't really know that he got a fair deal at USC, but he hasn't really impressed as a HC anywhere imo.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

D

Deuce

I'd be shocked if this happened. I read if he takes a new job, his Texas buyout is cut from $10 M to $5M. You gonna take a $2M job and that cut? I don't think so.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'd be shocked if this happened. I read if he takes a new job, his Texas buyout is cut from $10 M to $5M. You gonna take a $2M job and that cut? I don't think so.
I thought it was Texas has to pay the difference in salary?

D

Deuce

I thought it was Texas has to pay the difference in salary?
I got that info from the article written by a USF blogger two days ago. Maybe he was wrong, but I can't imagine why he would make something like that up when their whole fanbase is rooting for this hire.

dallen

Senior Tech
Almost all of these contracts seem to be set up to pay the difference. I'd be pretty surprised if Strong had agreed to anything different when he signed. Seems like a huge win for USF. Strong didn't forget how to be a good coach when he signed at Texas, and he's got some pretty deep Florida ties.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
https://www.texastribune.org/2016/11/21/if-ut-fires-charlie-strong-itll-be-another-expensi/

Strong has two years left on his $5 million-a-year contract, and there's basically no buyout in place. That means he will likely be owed the full $10 million even if he doesn't coach the next two seasons, according to a copy of the contract.

There's one slight exception. If he finds another job, UT-Austin will be allowed to deduct 50 percent of that new salary from its payment, according to the contract. It's unlikely, however, that Strong would be able to immediately find another job paying $5 million.

D

Deuce

Almost all of these contracts seem to be set up to pay the difference. I'd be pretty surprised if Strong had agreed to anything different when he signed. Seems like a huge win for USF. Strong didn't forget how to be a good coach when he signed at Texas, and he's got some pretty deep Florida ties.
He's a good recruiter, but still a little unproven at it IMO. All his great Florida kids that he brought to UF as the DC and built Louisville for him were recruited by Clint Hurtt who eventually was found for multiple violations, given a 2 year show-cause and is now a DL coach for the Bears.

Cotton

Staff member
Ex-Baylor football coach Art Briles sues university officials, alleges libel
Sarah Mervosh, Breaking News Enterprise reporter

Former Baylor football coach Art Briles sued several university officials for libel Thursday, claiming that they falsely said that he knew of alleged sexual assaults by his football players but did not alert authorities.

The lawsuit comes after a series of news stories in which Briles says the school's regents and their public relations firm "embarked on a campaign of malice" against him to deflect attention away from their own wrongdoing.

Briles says he had no prior knowledge that 17 women reported sexual or domestic violence assaults involving 19 football players, including four alleged gang rapes, since 2011, before regents told The Wall Street Journal in October.

Regents told the newspaper that, in at least one case, Briles knew about an incident and did not report it. The suit contends that the regents' "false statements" implied Briles had knowledge of the entire scandal.

Briles' attorney Ernest Cannon told The Dallas Morning News he hopes the lawsuit will help his client "get his good reputation back."

"They have told things that were false and half true," he said. "So we went to a courthouse, where you hear all the truth and nothing but the truth."

Briles filed the lawsuit in Llano County, where he lives.

He sued three Baylor regents: Chairman Ron Murff, who works at a Dallas real estate company, board member David Harper, a Dallas lawyer, and board member J. Cary Gray, who is a lawyer in Houston.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
He is also accusing them of conspiring to block him from coaching. Just a big mess all around.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Baylor has also been put on notice by SACS which is the accrediting body for this region according to a recent news article. They are in danger of losing their accreditation for failing to protect their students from assault.

I'd be shocked if they actually get any good recruits this season. What a mess.

Cotton

Staff member
So much for Kiffin.

D

Deuce

So much for Kiffin.

My guess is Lane said no thanks. There's no guarantee that they will continue to be one of the elites of the conference with Ward graduating and they already weren't great defensively.

dallen

Senior Tech
I think that's a much better hire than Kiffin would have ended up being

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think that's a much better hire than Kiffin would have ended up being
I actually think so as well. They aren't a school really winning on superior talent. They win with great schemes and coaching. I just don't think Kiffin would really fit what they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom