The Beer Thread

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Had this for dinner last night. One of the best stouts I've ever drunk. A bit like drinking chocolate syrup, but in a good way

The Bourbon County series is by far the best thing Goose Island does. The Bourbon County Brand Stout has been one of the best stouts out there for a long time. I have a couple bottles at home that I bought earlier this year. They have a Coffee Stout also.

Have you ever had Prairie Bomb!? or any of the other from the Bomb! family?

dallen

Senior Tech
The Bourbon County series is by far the best thing Goose Island does. The Bourbon County Brand Stout has been one of the best stouts out there for a long time. I have a couple bottles at home that I bought earlier this year. They have a Coffee Stout also.

Have you ever had Prairie Bomb!? or any of the other from the Bomb! family?
I haven't tried that. I have had some of the others from Prairie Artisan Ales. When I lived near Tulsa I wanted to take a tour, but never got around to it. From everything I've ever heard they are great people too.

dallen

Senior Tech
I'm going to have to go back to the store and get a few more bottles of Bourbon County if it is still in stock

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I haven't tried that. I have had some of the others from Prairie Artisan Ales. When I lived near Tulsa I wanted to take a tour, but never got around to it. From everything I've ever heard they are great people too.
Prairie makes some great beer but they are way, way overpriced in general, even in the craft beer world where overpriced is standard. Bomb! is excellent if you like stouts so I would recommend it. If you can find a Pirate Bomb!, which is aged in rum barrels, get it. Not sure if it is still around but maybe. I have had others from the Bomb! series (Christmas Bomb!, Birthday Bomb!) and was left thinking, "not as good as the regular Bomb!". Not so with the Pirate Bomb!. It is f'ing great.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Prairie makes some great beer but they are way, way overpriced in general, even in the craft beer world where overpriced is standard. Bomb! is excellent if you like stouts so I would recommend it. If you can find a Pirate Bomb!, which is aged in rum barrels, get it. Not sure if it is still around but maybe. I have had others from the Bomb! series (Christmas Bomb!, Birthday Bomb!) and was left thinking, "not as good as the regular Bomb!". Not so with the Pirate Bomb!. It is f'ing great.
Love Bomb and the variants but yea $10 for a 12oz bottle is pretty damn steep.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Love Bomb and the variants but yea $10 for a 12oz bottle is pretty damn steep.
I paid $12 for the Pirate Bomb!(:flip [MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION]) That is entirely too much but I wanted to try it so I got one. Best of the series for sure.

Last edited:

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Cripes! I could just about buy an 18-pack of the High Life for that.

Maybe this beer rush is getting a little out of hand?

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Cripes! I could just about buy an 18-pack of the High Life for that.

Maybe this beer rush is getting a little out of hand?
It is a bit out of hand in general. The barrel aged stuff always costs more because it occupies barrels/space in the brewery for an extended period of time. Still, $12 for a 12 oz bottle is high even for that market. It is 14% ABV so it is completely different from drinking something like High Life. As a comparison, a 6 pack of something local that is comparative to High Life in style is generally about $9-$10 around here.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I paid $12 for the Pirate Bomb!(:flip [MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION]) That is entirely too much but I wanted to try it so I got one. Best of the series for sure.
My favorite is the Christmas Bomb, Pirate Bomb was damn tasty too

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
It is a bit out of hand in general. The barrel aged stuff always costs more because it occupies barrels/space in the brewery for an extended period of time. Still, $12 for a 12 oz bottle is high even for that market. It is 14% ABV so it is completely different from drinking something like High Life. As a comparison, a 6 pack of something local that is comparative to High Life in style is generally about $9-$10 around here.

High Life is the cheapest beer I can get around here($8/12-pack), so it's my go-to.

I love trying new beers, but not at $10 a pop.

Playmaker

Brand New Member
Milwaukee's Best Ice is $16.00 for a 30 pack, and they just upped the alcohol cont from 5.9 to 6.9!

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

junk

Not So New Member
Had this for dinner last night. One of the best stouts I've ever drunk. A bit like drinking chocolate syrup, but in a good way

I haven't run into from this year yet. I had a couple last year and saved one. It ended up being one of the few that wasn't infected. I figured I'd cellar it for awhile and see what it ends up tasting like (PS, I don't really have a cellar......just a dark corner in the basement)

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Shiner Homespun is pretty tasty. Not much on effect, but tasty.

Top Bottom