This Little Pipeline Protest

2233boys

Not So New Member
Just this year alone, multiple cases involving spills in or around water sources.

On January 2, 3 people were injured, one seriously, one home destroyed, and 50 homes were damaged in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, when a leak gas from a gas main entered a home. Preliminary results indicate that a leak occurred at a weld seam on the gas main. Later, Oklahoma regulators filed a complaint over the failure with Oklahoma Natural Gas. The complaint alleged the utility failed to properly inspect its system following eight previous leak failures in the neighborhood going back to 1983.

On January 9, a 30-inch Atmos Energy gas transmission pipeline exploded and burned in Robertson County, Texas. 4 families nearby were evacuated.

On January 11, butane leaking from a pipeline storage facility, in Conway, Kansas, forced a closure of a nearby highway for a time.

On February 14, a 6-inch crude oil pipeline broke near Rozet, Wyoming, spilling about 1,500 gallons of crude oil into a creek bed.

On February 16, an explosion and fire occurred at a gas plant in Frio County, Texas. 2 employees at the plant were injured.

On February 24, a 10-inch propane pipeline exploded and burned, near Sulphur, Louisiana. There were no injuries. About 208,000 gallons of propane were burned. The cause was from manufacturing defects.

On March 11, about 30,000 gallons of gasoline spilled from a leaking plug on a pipeline, at a tank farm in Sioux City, Iowa.

On March 22, about 4,000 gallons of gasoline spilled from a 6-inch petroleum products pipeline in Harwood, North Dakota.

On April 2, the TransCanada Corporation Keystone Pipeline was observed by a local resident to be leaking, near Freeman, South Dakota. The cause was a crack in a girth weld, and amount of tar sands dilbit spill was about 16,800 gallons.

On April 12, a pipeline at a gas plant in Woodsboro, Texas exploded, killing 2 men, and injured another worker

On April 17, a 10 petroleum products pipeline failed in Wabash County, Illinois, resulting in a sheen on the Wabash River. About 48,000 gallons of diesel fuel was spilled.

On April 29, a 30-inch Texas Eastern/Spectra Energy pipeline exploded, injuring one man, destroying his home and damaging several others. The incident was reported at 8:17 a.m., near the intersection of Routes 819 and 22 in Salem Township, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania. Later, Spectra Energy Corp. announced plans to dig up and assess 263 miles of that pipeline, from Pennsylvania to New Jersey. Corrosion had been detected at the failed seam 4 years before the rupture.

On May 20, a Shell Oil Company pipeline leaked near Tracy, California, spilling about 21,000 gallons of crude oil.

On June 23, a Crimson Pipeline crude oil line leaked in Ventura County, California. Initial reports said the spill size was from 25,200 gallons to 29,000 gallons, but, later reports estimate 45,000 gallons of crude were spilled.

On July 6, a Plantation Pipeline line was noticed to be leaking in Goochland County, Virginia. The spill did not reach nearby waterways.

On August 12, contractors were working on one of the main lines in Sunoco Pipeline LP's Nederland, Texas terminal when crude oil burst through a plug that was supposed to hold the oil back in the pipeline and ignited. The contractors were knocked off the platform to the ground, suffering injuries from the fall and severe burns. 7 contractors were injured.

On September 4, a pipeline broke in Kern County, California, spilling reclaimed water & oil.

On September 5, a pipeline in Bay Long, Louisiana was hit by dredging operations, resulting in a spill of about 5,300 gallons of crude oil into the water.

On September 9, a Colonial Pipeline mainline leak was noticed by workers on another project, in Shelby County, Alabama. At least 252,000 gallons of gasoline leaked from line.

On September 10, a Sunoco pipeline ruptured near Sweetwater, Texas. About 33,000 gallons of crude oil were spilled. The pipeline was just over a year old.

On October 11, two Nicor Gas workers were injured, and two townhouse units destroyed in a massive fire and explosion, caused by a gas leak in Romeoville, Illinois.

On October 17, an 8-inch ammonia pipeline started leaking, near Tekamah, Nebraska. A farmer living nearby went to find the source of the ammonia, and was killed by entering the vapor cloud. About 50 people were evacuated from their homes.

On October 19, a contractor in Portland, Oregon hit a 1 inch gas pipeline during work. Within an hour, there were 2 explosions, injuring 8 people, destroying or damaging several buildings, and started a fire. Contractors claim a utility locate was done before work began.[580]

On October 21, an 8 inch Sunoco pipeline ruptured in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, spilling about 55,000 gallons of gasoline into the Susquehanna River. The river was running high at the time.

On October 24, a pipeline ruptured on the Seaway Pipeline, in Cushing, Oklahoma, spraying the area with crude oil.

On October 24, the Pennsylvania Pipeline built by Sunoco and the Energy Transfer Partners ruptured leaking 55,000 gallons of crude oil into the PA River that is heading toward the Atlantic Ocean. These are the same builders constructing with Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL). Sunoco has over 200 pipeline leak accidents since 2010.

On October 31, a Colonial Pipeline mainline exploded and burned in Shelby County, Alabama, after accidentally being hit by a trackhoe. One worker died at the scene, and 5 others were hospitalized, with one of those workers dying a month later. The explosion occurred approximately several miles from the 9 September 2016 breach.

On November 29, an Enterprise Products pipeline exploded in Platte County, Missouri, burning an ethane propane mixture. There were no evacuations or injuries.

On December 2, equipment failure in a Denbury Resources source water pipeline led to a leak of approximately 84,000 gallons of source water into Skull Creek, in Bowman County, North Dakota.

On December 5, a 6 inch Belle Fourche pipeline spilled crude oil into Ash Coulee Creek in Billings County, North Dakota.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The point of the meme still stands. We have oil pipes all over this country, and all of a sudden this one is going to ruin evarthang!

2233boys

Not So New Member
The point of the meme still stands. We have oil pipes all over this country, and all of a sudden this one is going to ruin evarthang!
Just the 1 PA Situation caused issues with drinking water and it is unknown yet what will happen with the fish. This is the second time in 5 years that pipeline has leaked. This is just one example there are a lot more. It isn't all kinds of safe as the oil companies would have you believe, and it isn't likely to be as super dangerous as people of my thought process would have you believe.

The problem with these issues is that the companies take shortcuts, don't inspect, give to politicians/superpacs, have a voice in government, all in the name of Super High Profits. There has to be a happy medium.

https://stateimpact.npr.org/pennsylvania/2016/10/21/sunoco-gas-pipeline-ruptures-in-lycoming-county/
http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/gallons-of-gasoline-spills-into-susquehanna-effect-on-lancaster-county/article_5ed0d20c-97b8-11e6-8fb8-17dc59d3a8e1.html

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Just the 1 PA Situation caused issues with drinking water and it is unknown yet what will happen with the fish. This is the second time in 5 years that pipeline has leaked. This is just one example there are a lot more. It isn't all kinds of safe as the oil companies would have you believe, and it isn't likely to be as super dangerous as people of my thought process would have you believe.

The problem with these issues is that the companies take shortcuts, don't inspect, give to politicians/superpacs, have a voice in government, all in the name of Super High Profits. There has to be a happy medium.

https://stateimpact.npr.org/pennsylvania/2016/10/21/sunoco-gas-pipeline-ruptures-in-lycoming-county/
http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/gallons-of-gasoline-spills-into-susquehanna-effect-on-lancaster-county/article_5ed0d20c-97b8-11e6-8fb8-17dc59d3a8e1.html
I'm not arguin that there aren't spills. I'm arguing that this one pipeline in addition to the tens of thousands of others isn't going to make a drop in the bucket kind of impact, let alone some catastrophe.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Considering the mileage of the pipeline system this is a low rate of incidents. Spillage from tankers and automobile accidents probably exceed this but I have no stats to support it.

2233boys

Not So New Member
That was only this year to January 1, 2016 to December 5, 2016 the problem isn't trivial or small.

It's multiplied by greed and corruption

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That was only this year to January 1, 2016 to December 5, 2016 the problem isn't trivial or small.

It's multiplied by greed and corruption
Pipelines have been in place by the thousands of miles for many years and as in anything this large there are situations because of the sheer volume of undertaking but it isn't anymore problematic than many other engagements that have vast operational delivery systems.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Anyone want to imagine what the highways would look like if the lines were shut down and the petroleum had to be transported by tankers.

2233boys

Not So New Member
There is an issue, I showed only 2016 issues. We can hide our heads in the sand and ignore it. Brush it off with all sorts of canned responses, but it doesn’t change the fact there are serious problems with pipelines. (maybe even more accurately with some companies)

Why are there so many spills? Greed, corruption, faulty infrastructure, not enough oversight, etc.

I don’t know all the causes and I don’t have a solution, but disregarding legitimate concerns with what amounts to ideology isn’t productive.

Ideology is an issue on both sides. I could make a pretty safe guess at naming those who’d agree with me on pretty much everything, and those who will disagree with me on pretty much everything.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
There is an issue, I showed only 2016 issues. We can hide our heads in the sand and ignore it. Brush it off with all sorts of canned responses, but it doesn’t change the fact there are serious problems with pipelines. (maybe even more accurately with some companies)

Why are there so many spills? Greed, corruption, faulty infrastructure, not enough oversight, etc.

I don’t know all the causes and I don’t have a solution, but disregarding legitimate concerns with what amounts to ideology isn’t productive.

Ideology is an issue on both sides. I could make a pretty safe guess at naming those who’d agree with me on pretty much everything, and those who will disagree with me on pretty much everything.
Perhaps you would like to stand in line for hours waiting for the gasoline transport to show up so you could purchase some gasoline. There are trade offs to every convienence. The pipelines even with their baggage are essential to making life easier for you.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Empty fear mongering rhetoric, isn't helpful, doesn't provide solutions, and as expected.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Empty fear mongering rhetoric, isn't helpful, doesn't provide solutions, and as expected.
It isn't intended for fear mongering. It isn't rhetoric. It is meant to display another view of something to show there are more considerations.

Last edited:

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
How about we have the agencies responsible do more and proper inspections and make the pipeline companies fix issues or, the government fixes them and charges the company. Solution!

townsend

Banned
How about we have the agencies responsible do more and proper inspections and make the pipeline companies fix issues or, the government fixes them and charges the company. Solution!
The issue is that the people who should be holding these companies accountable are on the dole.Oil companies have been infiltrating government (including the EPA now) for the express purpose of minimizing regulation for the very purpose of alleviating them of liability.

One of the big issues with the Keystone pipeline is that the Canadian company benefitting from the pipeline would not be responsible for the cleanup of spills.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Isn't there similar dissatisfaction in American communities regarding frakking even though it's supposedly safe?
Maybe so but the real answer is to work toward a solution to become independent of petroleum. In the meantime the USA is stuck with a petroleum based fuel source and none of us are willing to give up the convienence it provides. With the convienence comes trade offs.

Top Bottom