2016 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The criteria they didn't mean was winning. Multiple losses hold teams back every year in ever sport. Everyone knows that no matter what post season system college football is running, at best you get one loss a year or you're likely done in the national picture.
Head to head is about as definitive as you can get.

D

Deuce

Head to head is about as definitive as you can get.
With all things being equal, I definitely agree. But they aren't because of number of losses. Pitt beat 2 out of the 4 playoff teams. Does that mean they deserve to be there? No, because they sucked at other times.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
With all things being equal, I definitely agree. But they aren't because of number of losses. Pitt beat 2 out of the 4 playoff teams. Does that mean they deserve to be there? No, because they sucked at other times.
Huge difference between 2 losses and 4. Western Michigan has zero losses, I guess they should be ranked 2nd.

Penn state won the toughest conference in the country. That should count for a lot more than they are counting it.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

This is why bringing TCU to the Big 12 was a dumb idea.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I will just say this. If the process was just trying to determine who are the best 4 teams the why not have the committee agree on them and that's that. There is no need to go any further because the committee has arbitrarily decided by whatever criteria they established who is best. It isn't necessary then to play the contest. We all know that this simply isn't the case because the underlying process is ultimately to have the finalist meet in head to head competition and let that decide the champion.

I have heard many many times that the regular season is the initial part of the playoffs because each week is a sifting process to creating the finalists. The sifting process being the head to head competition within and without the conferences. If this is true then Penn State eliminated Ohio State in the regular season and solified their position within their conference by winning the championship. The only thing that kept Ohio State in contention was the coaches and writers polls. This seems a total contradiction to combine this system in the process since it renders the other pointless.

Either the play of the regular season should dictate who represents a conference or only the polls determine the champions and subsequently who will participate in the National championship process. The committee has manulated their own rules in order to retain a team that would have otherwise been eliminated in the competitive course regardless of how proficient they were percieved to be. This years finalist are legitimately placed except for Ohio State.

D

Deuce

I will just say this. If the process was just trying to determine who are the best 4 teams the why not have the committee agree on them and that's that. There is no need to go any further because the committee has arbitrarily decided by whatever criteria they established who is best. It isn't necessary then to play the contest. We all know that this simply isn't the case because the underlying process is ultimately to have the finalist meet in head to head competition and let that decide the champion.

I have heard many many times that the regular season is the initial part of the playoffs because each week is a sifting process to creating the finalists. The sifting process being the head to head competition within and without the conferences. If this is true then Penn State eliminated Ohio State in the regular season and solified their position within their conference by winning the championship. The only thing that kept Ohio State in contention was the coaches and writers polls. This seems a total contradiction to combine this system in the process since it renders the other pointless.

Either the play of the regular season should dictate who represents a conference or only the polls determine the champions and subsequently who will participate in the National championship process. The committee has manulated their own rules in order to retain a team that would have otherwise been eliminated in the competitive course regardless of how proficient they were percieved to be. This years finalist are legitimately placed except for Ohio State.
Because by that argument, Michigan also eliminated Penn St and then OSU eliminated them. Thats why other factors have to be taken into account and the biggest factor is the Penn St loss to Pitt.

Genghis Khan

Because by that argument, Michigan also eliminated Penn St and then OSU eliminated them. Thats why other factors have to be taken into account and the biggest factor is the Penn St loss to Pitt.
Another factor...only one of them won the conference, and that was Penn state.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
No michigan didn't eliminate anyone because they didn't make the conference championship. The regular season is a race to see who wins the conference title. Michigan like Ohio State was eliminated from that event. They remained in contention for the CFP by virtue of the polls which apparently has more weight than being a legitimate conference champion.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Another factor...only one of them won the conference, and that was Penn state.
That is correct and the rest of the conference should be eliminated. It is a sad indictment to legitimately win the conference then be eliminated from advancing because of subjective preference to a team you beat head to head.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Michigan beating Penn State has nothing to do with Ohio State getting the nod. Michigan didn't win the conference. It shouldn't be a matter of who beats who unless it is a factor for the championship. Neither Michigan or Ohio State made the conference championship game. No matter how you cut it Penn State got screwed.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You dispute any of this? I'm not defending Kliff because it is a mess but what are you gonna do? Create more turnover?
Not at all. I only put Hance in there because it was a fun thing to do.. at least for me...

Carp

DCC 4Life
Quite frankly, conference championships mean very little when they put the CFP final 4 together. Ohio St is the first playoff team to make it without winning their conference, but no 2 loss conference winner has made it either. I feel like the win Penn St had over OSU was fluky...and the 39 point loss to Mich is hard to recover from.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I fee for anyone that has to take over at Rayplor U. Lots of disfunction at that place.

D

Deuce

RIP Matt Rhule. Cause you're dead to me.
:lol you knew it had to happen this year. He turned down some P5 jobs last year to return, won the conference and will graduate his QB. No reason to come back and lose some luster.

I just dont get taking that job. That place has turned into a pariah. The only good news is that a pro style offense and defensive minded coach might cause the Big 12 off guard since nobody else in that conference believes in those values.

Genghis Khan

:lol you knew it had to happen this year. He turned down some P5 jobs last year to return, won the conference and will graduate his QB. No reason to come back and lose some luster.

I just dont get taking that job. That place has turned into a pariah. The only good news is that a pro style offense and defensive minded coach might cause the Big 12 off guard since nobody else in that conference believes in those values.

It'll be an interesting mix for sure. Supposedly Oregon was talking to him so maybe Baylor threw some money at him. And yeah it was happening eventually. In all seriousness I'll probably half root for Baylor while he's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom