Pass rates on first down

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I doubt it's anywhere near close.
Well you figure 50% you'd get right just by chance. I think we can all agree it's higher than 5/10. I'd be willing to bet I could nail 7/10 fairly easily as a run or pass given down and distance and the formation we are in. So no, I wouldn't say 8/10 is a stretch at all.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well you figure 50% you'd get right just by chance. I think we can all agree it's higher than 5/10. I'd be willing to bet I could nail 7/10 fairly easily as a run or pass given down and distance and the formation we are in. So no, I wouldn't say 8/10 is a stretch at all.
Let's see you do it in a live situation.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let's see you do it in a live situation.
I mean I have pointed it out during games many times. There was a breakdown last year of pass percentage out of shotgun and run percentage out of under center plays and it was shocking how often that alone indicated what we were doing. I wouldn't even know where to begin to find that article again but it was pretty damning.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In case anyone was curious we ran the ball when under center 76% of the time last year.

We passed the ball from shotgun 83% of the time when in shotgun.

So oddly enough, if you just guess pass every time we are in shotgun and run every time we are under center you'd be right around 8 out of 10 times....

Looking at the numbers it's also crazy how much shotgun is used in the NFL these days. We are right at 50/50. But if you look at a team like the Eagles they ran shotgun like 72% of the time. Of course they ran the second most in the NFL from shotgun. 31% of the time they ran from the shotgun formation.

shane

DCC 4Life
Of the many things I fault Garrett for, this is not one of them.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
How many times has the play sequence gone: run for 4, run for 4, pass with 2 yards to go? It's infuriating and extremely predictable? They will have to fix that shit or we are in for another frustrating year.
We just don’t have the OL play of 2016 to sustain this kind of approach the length of the field anymore. That’s an unrealistic approach. The situation was made worse with our crazy accurate kicker becoming a mere mortal thanks to nagging injuries.

Teams should strive for 50% run/pass on first and second down.

What would help is a stronger defense getting us the ball back more often.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We just don’t have the OL play of 2016 to sustain this kind of approach the length of the field anymore. That’s an unrealistic approach. The situation was made worse with our crazy accurate kicker becoming a mere mortal thanks to nagging injuries.

Teams should strive for 50% run/pass on first and second down.

What would help is a stronger defense getting us the ball back more often.
Trade for Earl Thomas and we may be close to that on defense.

Also I think the OL may be close to 2016 level.

p1_

DCC 4Life
A return to ground and pound.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Trade for Earl Thomas and we may be close to that on defense.

Also I think the OL may be close to 2016 level.
Earl would help, but ultimately he’s a band-aid. He’d patch us up for several games, and then paper thin depth will crack under the first injury or more likely the lack of situational preparation will fail us vs Drew or Aaron in the playoffs yet again.

Nothing replaces building a defense the right way. The 1T is going to dictate a lot, and we’re going for the very bottom of the barrel in McClain.

As as for the OL, I’m very encouraged with the addition of Williams. But that 2016 line was nasty and Tyron was in his prime. They all stepped up to help the rookie QB. You can’t keep rallying like that.

To expect that that kind of perfect, dominant play ever again would be retarded.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Dude, McClain is already signed. And not here.

data

Forbes #1
Oh, look. [MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION] now a stat-master.

What else can another poster do shittier than me?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
McClain is getting 4 million on a one year deal.

That he left without a deal goes to show how much the Cowboys undervalue the position.

Collins is more of an unknown at this point than we thought given his history of foot injuries.

We’re in Nick Hayden territory now... under the barrel.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Oh, look. [MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION] now a stat-master.

What else can another poster do shittier than me?
Uhhh..... that's very good question.

Top Bottom