Charles Tapper's return could mean more than La'el Collins'

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Charles Tapper's return could mean more than La'el Collins'

Dallas drafted defensive end Charles Tapper hoping he would develop into part of the pass-rush rotation. Matthew Emmons/USA TODAY Sports
11:51 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Now that the Dallas Cowboys have clinched a playoff spot with a month to go, is it too soon to start mapping out a trip to Houston, Texas, for Super Bowl LI?

It’s probably too soon, but maybe you can start checking out hotel reservations. In case you were wondering, it’s 246 miles from AT&T Stadium to NRG Stadium in Houston.

We have five more wonders.

Away we go:

I wonder if it makes more sense for the Cowboys to call rookie defensive end Charles Tapper back from injured reserve than guard La'el Collins. It has nothing to do with who is a better player. That is Collins. It has everything to do with the state of the defensive line compared to the offensive line. The Cowboys need any and all help they can get rushing the passer. Tapper was drafted with the hopes of developing into part of the pass-rush rotation. If Collins returns, he won’t be active. (Or shouldn’t be.) If something were to happen to Ronald Leary or Zack Martin, the Cowboys can get by with Joe Looney. Right now the pass rush needs more help. Truth be told, expecting either to help after missing so much time isn’t wise, but there is more of a need on the defensive line.

I wonder if people paid attention to Brandon Carr's comments to me after the Cowboys beat the Vikings. He said, "The most important thing is these next four games we may see one of those teams in the playoffs anyway, so it’s important for us to set the tone and establish who we are early, so when they see us again they get an understanding of what they’re dealing with." So if you’re wondering whether the Cowboys should rest people down the stretch, remember what Carr said. There is a chance the Cowboys will see one of their final four opponents -- Giants, Buccaneers, Lions, Eagles -- in the playoffs. We saw Wade Phillips back off a little in 2007 and the Cowboys never maintained their mojo going into the playoffs.

I wonder if the Cowboys will go back to Orlando Scandrick as a starting cornerback in their base defense. It won’t matter much this week because of how much the Giants use three-wide receiver sets, which means the Cowboys will be in their sub package defenses almost exclusively. Jason Garrett said Scandrick had been dealing with a foot injury the past few weeks, but the veteran never made it to the injury report. With Odell Beckham Jr. on the other side, it might be better to have Scandrick’s experience over rookie Anthony Brown. If the change in the base defense from Scandrick to Brown was meant as some kind of motivating factor, maybe Scandrick got the message. He might have played his best game of the season against Minnesota.

I believe Jason Witten when he said he did not care about his streak of having at least one catch end at 130 games last week. I wonder if there should have been a coach who did know about the streak and saw a way to get Witten at least one pitch-and-catch completion. I also wonder how Witten can go without even being targeted in the game. His lone target and catch was wiped out by a penalty in the fourth quarter. Garrett said the Vikings weren’t doing anything special to take Witten out, and put the end of the catch streak on the fact that the Cowboys threw just 18 passes. I can see that, but it also doesn’t make sense to see Witten not have a ball thrown his way. In reviewing the game, there were ample opportunities for him to get the ball. The same goes for Cole Beasley, too. But the Cowboys won and that’s what Witten cares about most at this point in his career.

I wonder why the NFL won’t allow players to have a My Cleats, My Cause for an entire season or at least multiple weeks. There is a way to monitor the cleats players wear, but this was a way for players to raise awareness for the foundations or causes close to their hearts. What’s the harm? It allowed Gavin Escobar the chance to talk about childhood cancer, Ezekiel Elliott to talk about the prevention of animal cruelty, and Carr to talk about the water crisis back in Flint, Michigan. It allows for some individuality in a sport where conformity matters most. The positives of these messages far outweigh anything that can be construed negatively.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I would call Tapper over Collins because Leary is solid whereas our D-line and pass rush are anemic.

I know the chances aren't great of him coming in and becoming a monster, but even if he simply generates a couple of pressures a game, that would really help.

townsend

Banned
I would call Tapper over Collins because Leary is solid whereas our D-line and pass rush are anemic.

I know the chances aren't great of him coming in and becoming a monster, but even if he simply generates a couple of pressures a game, that would really help.
The big difference would be Collins would give us some insurance on the team's most important squad. If Leary hurts his shoulder tomorrow, we're in trouble.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I would activate Collins over Tapper. Not close. Collins is an excellent insurance policy on the interior OL. Tapper is...yeah, no idea. Who knows if they guy can provide much of anything. He hasn't played all year and is a complete unknown. What are the odds that he is anything more than marginally better than anyone else in that rotation right now?

shane

DCC 4Life
I'm thinking Collins should be moved to the tackle spot opposite Smith post haste.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Honestly, it all depends on who is healthy. And frankly if Gregory is seriously in our plans this season or not. If Collins is 100% I probably bring him back. He is a stud talent. But I just have no real idea how that foot is doing. On the other hand I have no idea the status of Tapper's back. If it is 100% healthy I'd love to have him back but with him being a rookie I have serious doubts about his ability to have an impact this season.

Stars

DCC 4Life
Tapper doesn't even have a spinal column anymore.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Is it a IR rules issue or a roster spot issue as to why they both cannot be brought back?

Stars

DCC 4Life
Is it a IR rules issue or a roster spot issue as to why they both cannot be brought back?
Without googling, I think I remember reading you can only bring back one.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's an IR rules thing. You can only bring one player back from IR. And those are the two possibilities this season it looks like. If we bring back anyone.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Without further info on Tapper, like if he looks amazing in workouts, I choose Collins.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Without further info on Tapper, like if he looks amazing in workouts, I choose Collins.
I don't think Tapper has a complete spinal column so why is he even a consideration?

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I'm so glad we kept McFadden and didn't trade him when we could :picard

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, although I remember hearing reports that Tapper may be our opening day starter at DE. But I'm not even sure that both guys are completely healthy. So I take whichever one is actually healthy first.

dallen

Senior Tech
I'm so glad we kept McFadden and didn't trade him when we could :picard
When Dunbar pulls a hammy ol' Jer's genius will be obvious to all :tehj

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
When Dunbar pulls a hammy ol' Jer's genius will be obvious to all :tehj
What makes it even worse, is even if Dunbar went down, we still would not need McFadden.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Top Bottom