2016 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Your words dont even bother me. That is about how much I care about college football now. I blame Kingsbury and Hance. Mostly Hance.
You should blame yourself for being a Tech fan.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Your words dont even bother me. That is about how much I care about college football now. I blame Kingsbury and Hance. Mostly Hance.

You blame Hance for 8 DCs in 8 years? Interesting.

Texas Tech defensive numbers

2013 - We signed 23 players. Of those 23, 10 were defensive players. Of those 10, only 4 remain.
2014 - We signed 26 players. Of those 26, 12 were defensive players. Of those 12, only 3 remain.
2015 - We signed 20 players. Of those 20, only 6 were defensive players. All of those 6 remain*.
*However, one (Banks) is a JUCO SR. who has yet to play this year.

2013 - We signed 23 players. Of those 23, 10 were defensive players. Of those 10, only 4 remain.
2014 - We signed 26 players. Of those 26, 12 were defensive players. Of those 12, only 3 remain.
2015 - We signed 20 players. Of those 20, only 6 were defensive players. All of those 6 remain*.

That's just part of the problem. D recruiting was bad before that. Plus the turnover and culture that tuberville created prettty much gutted the defense. Kliff was hired as a coach with virtually no head coaching experience but he was the right hire for the program at the time. He gets a scratch for the first two years. The defense will be better but still terrible next year due to even more youth starting. This last class was pretty solid on D. We have some real LBs coming in that will make a difference for the first time in a decade. The DBs have been horrible and will finally have some size next year but will still be young.

I don't care who you bring in they aren't producing numbers defensively on this team. It is just really bad.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
CFP Announcements are absurd. Putting in a team who didn't play for the conference championship and was beaten by a team who did win the conference championship.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Good. To hell with him.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The top 4 stood just as it should have.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

Good. To hell with him.
That dude mailed it in 8 years ago and drained two programs. Best used car salesman ever.

1bigfan13

Staff member
CFP Announcements are absurd. Putting in a team who didn't play for the conference championship and was beaten by a team who did win the conference championship.
Conference Championships are definitely diminished under this new format. However I'm fine with OSU getting in over PSU.

OSU played a tougher schedule and has 1 fewer loss.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Conference Championships are definitely diminished under this new format. However I'm fine with OSU getting in over PSU.

OSU played a tougher schedule and has 1 fewer loss.
Penn state beat them and won the conference. Penn state was 2-1 against top ten teams so Penn state had a pretty tough schedule themselves.

They need 8 teams. 5 conference champs plus 3 at large teams.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Penn state beat them and won the conference. Penn state was 2-1 against top ten teams so Penn state had a pretty tough schedule themselves.

Yeah, Penn State got screwed. They met all criteria and were pushed aside for a team with a reputation.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think there is legit arguments on both sides.
I don't see a legitimate argument for Ohio State. Penn State won the conference and defeated Ohio State. That nullifies strength of schedule. Strength of schedule is a criteria that is considered when trying to break a tie. In the instant case there is no tie. Penn State won the deciding factors outright.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I don't see a legitimate argument for Ohio State. Penn State won the conference and defeated Ohio State. That nullifies strength of schedule. Strength of schedule is a criteria that is considered when trying to break a tie. In the instant case there is no tie. Penn State won the deciding factors outright.
Who are the best 4 teams that better represent the best competition for the national title? That point could be argued by both sides IMO.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You blame Hance for 8 DCs in 8 years? Interesting.

That's just part of the problem. D recruiting was bad before that. Plus the turnover and culture that tuberville created prettty much gutted the defense. Kliff was hired as a coach with virtually no head coaching experience but he was the right hire for the program at the time. He gets a scratch for the first two years. The defense will be better but still terrible next year due to even more youth starting. This last class was pretty solid on D. We have some real LBs coming in that will make a difference for the first time in a decade. The DBs have been horrible and will finally have some size next year but will still be young.

I don't care who you bring in they aren't producing numbers defensively on this team. It is just really bad.
:lol

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Who are the best 4 teams that better represent the best competition for the national title? That point could be argued by both sides IMO.
It was argued but that is a subjective position. The head to head and conference championship is prima faca.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Staff member
Michigan and Florida St. will be coming here to play in the Orange Bowl.

Looks like I'll be heading to my third Orange Bowl. Should be a fantastic atmosphere.

D

Deuce

UCF/Arkansas St in the Cure Bowl. 2 weeks away and I'll be there.

What a time to be alive!

D

Deuce

Penn State also had an extra loss and one of them was a 30+ point throttling to a Michigan team OSU beat. There was no perfect way to figure those two this year, so they just went with the more talented team.

D

Deuce

Yeah, Penn State got screwed. They met all criteria and were pushed aside for a team with a reputation.
The criteria they didn't mean was winning. Multiple losses hold teams back every year in ever sport. Everyone knows that no matter what post season system college football is running, at best you get one loss a year or you're likely done in the national picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom