Jerry Jones says Cowboys should see different Ezekiel Elliott in 2018

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Jerry Jones says Cowboys should see different Ezekiel Elliott in 2018
4:00 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

GRAPEVINE, Texas -- Owner and general manager Jerry Jones believes that the Dallas Cowboys will see a different Ezekiel Elliott in 2018.

From training camp last summer to the halfway point of the 2017 regular season, Elliott had to deal with the legal battles associated with his six-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy. Once the suspension went into effect, he spent six weeks away from the team and its strength and conditioning and athletic training staffs.

"I think that not having to address that mentally and physically, not having to think about not only the interruption of the potential suspension and the suspension but just the physical interruption, the physical aspect of that," Jones said from the team's sponsorship golf tournament at Cowboys Golf Club in Grapevine, Texas.

"But from the standpoint of mentally, there is no question -- I'm 100 percent sure -- to not have that on your mind, to not have the ambiguity of not knowing timelines, those kinds of things, there's no doubt in my mind it will make a significant difference in how he can focus, how he can focus not only on the next practice but the next game and the entire season."

During the season, Elliott and the Cowboys maintained that the running back was not affected by the process. In 10 games, he ran for 983 yards and seven touchdowns on 242 carries.

He had at least 80 yards rushing in nine of the 10 games and had a three-game run in which he had at least 116 yards rushing. In his return from suspension, he ran for 97 and 103 yards against the Seattle Seahawks and Philadelphia Eagles, respectively.

Since the Cowboys picked him fourth overall in 2016, Elliott has been the focal point of the offense. That will continue in 2018, with the release of Dez Bryant and the retirement of Jason Witten.

"Yes, I think that I give him a big arrow [up] as to what his performance might be without the overhang of the issue he faced last year," Jones said of Elliott, who led the NFL in rushing with 1,631 yards as a rookie.

I have no excuses for posting this fluff piece...

BipolarFuk

Demoted
He'll be different all right.

He'll be the second best RB in the division.

Giants have someone younger, bigger, faster, just better.

Stars

DCC 4Life
He'll be different all right.

He'll be the second best RB in the division.

Giants have someone younger, bigger, faster, just better.
lol you might end up being right, but your reasons are stupid.

1) Younger...yep, by like what, a year and a half? That's definitely a difference maker.
2)Bigger .... His legs aren't bigger than Zeke's. Zeke is built like a tank. I don't give a shit about total weight.
3) Faster ... Yes, he's faster.
4) Just Better.... you hear that guys? He's "just better" ...well shit dude, you convinced me.

I'll bet you an avatar change after the season, that Zeke outrushes him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ol Jerry is marketing away so early.
Of course Zeke is going to be different. He doesn't have a 6 game suspension hanging over his head every week. He won't be traveling to court every other week on a new motion. Seems like sort of obvious stuff to me.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Zeke was quite sluggish last year. I expect that to change.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Barkley has the tools to be an all-timer. I'm not going to crown his ass yet since we haven't seen him in the pros. Therefore I'm not going to say with certainty - yet - that he's better than Zeke.

Zeke is pretty great himself, so for Barkley to be better he'll pretty much have to be an all-timer. And if that's the case, there's no real shame in being 2nd best to an all-timer.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Barkley has the tools to be an all-timer. I'm not going to crown his ass yet since we haven't seen him in the pros. Therefore I'm not going to say with certainty - yet - that he's better than Zeke.

Zeke is pretty great himself, so for Barkley to be better he'll pretty much have to be an all-timer. And if that's the case, there's no real shame in being 2nd best to an all-timer.
Barkley is also going to start his career with a shitty OL. Adding Hernandez alone is not going to fix that dumpster fire of a line.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Barkley is also going to start his career with a shitty OL. Adding Hernandez alone is not going to fix that dumpster fire of a line.
Exactly. And while Im impressed with Hernandez, he hasn't done anything yet to be so fearful of. This ain't no UTEP, baby.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
So a continuation of the excuse-making seen in All or Nothing.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Zeke has many of the same tools as Barkley. Some weaknesses Barkley has are Zeke strengths and vice versa.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Every year we have an all world RB that is expected to be the next AP or LT or Zeke, and then doesn't. I bet Zeke's head is on straight this year and he kills it. Barkley may be great, but I don't see that line letting him be all world and he'll get beaten down in the end.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Penn State RBs taken high seem to have been cursed since Curt Warner.

Blair Thomas, Ki-Jana Carter, and Curtis Enis failed through either injury or incompetence.

Barkley looks awesome though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Penn State RBs taken high seem to have been cursed since Curt Warner.

Blair Thomas, Ki-Jana Carter, and Curtis Enis failed through either injury or incompetence.

Barkley looks awesome though.
Yeah I really like Barkley. I'm not going to shit on the guy simply because he went to the Giants. But the NFL is littered with first round RBs who didn't work out. Guys like Cadillac Williams, Beanie Wells and Trent Richardson.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Barkley indeed does look "other worldly". But as of now (IMO) Zeke is the best in the game. The media focused almost solely on his legal troubles and he was all but left out of the mix of Who's Who at RB. Guys like Kamara and Bell were suddenly superior, regardless of the fact that Zeke was top dog in 2016. I'm not being a homer when I say I'll take Zeke over anyone else.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Barkley indeed does look "other worldly". But as of now (IMO) Zeke is the best in the game. The media focused almost solely on his legal troubles and he was all but left out of the mix of Who's Who at RB. Guys like Kamara and Bell were suddenly superior, regardless of the fact that Zeke was top dog in 2016. I'm not being a homer when I say I'll take Zeke over anyone else.
Gurley when healthy is the total package. Certainly a better receiver.

Top Bottom