PFT: Terrell McClain sets visit with Cowboys

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Report: Terrell McClain sets visit with Cowboys
Posted by Josh Alper on May 8, 2018, 10:27 AM EDT

Defensive tackle Terrell McClain has drawn interest from multiple teams since being released by Washington and one of them is reportedly the team he played for from 2014-2016.

Mike Fisher of 105.3 The Fan reports that McClain is scheduled to visit with the Cowboys. McClain met with the Dolphins last week and the 49ers on Monday.

The prospect of a McClain return came up in an interview with Cowboys vice president of player personnel Will McClay shortly after McClain became a free agent.

“We’re gonna look at opportunities to improve the team,” McClay said, via 105.3 The Fan. “He had a great run here and if he wants to come back we’ll definitely look at it.”

McClain played in 30 games for the Cowboys and started all 15 he played during the 2016 season. He had 61 tackles, 3.5 sacks and three forced fumbles over his entire run in Dallas.

This would be a good signing. Make it so, Jerry.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yep would be an excellent move. Not sure we would need Crawford anymore either. But I'm sure he is untouchable.
I need more bodies to stop the run right now, we are too light at DT. Think we have to keep Crawford. But maybe if Ward turns into a find, then Crawford can go. I'm not counting on Ward to be more than a free look though, so I'm guessing McClain would be an upgrade over him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I need more bodies to stop the run right now, we are too light at DT. Think we have to keep Crawford. But maybe if Ward turns into a find, then Crawford can go. I'm not counting on Ward to be more than a free look though, so I'm guessing McClain would be an upgrade over him.
I think Ward stays. Just not sure if he is a 3 technique or a 1 yet. He has the athletic ability for the 3 spot and he has sort of that idea build for the position. I'd like to keep him around there if he shows any potential because of the unknown with Irving.

Plus we have Collins who can play the 3. So then Crawford seems like a bit of a waste. I don't want Crawford at end because we lose so much in terms of pass rush or ability to run down an athletic QB.

Cotton

Staff member
We allowed the fewest rushing yards in the league when he was here in 2016. Come on home, Terrell.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I'm fine with signing McClain again and I agree Crawford can go but what would his cap hit be at this point?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm fine with signing McClain again and I agree Crawford can go but what would his cap hit be at this point?
We'd save 6 mil in base salary next year. It would only give us about 1.8 mil in immediate cap savings but long term is what really matters. It means that next offseason we wouldn't have to worry about his 9.1 mil on the books. Basically we'd be in even better cap shape going into next offseason as a result.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I'd cut Crawford regardless, he's a progress stopper.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can cut him next year and save it.
But then you've paid him an additional 6 mil... and he would still have dead money on the cap next year.

If you cut him now he counts nothing next year and you save 1.8 mil against the cap today. If you wait until next year he counts 4.2 mil next year and you can't carry over the 1.8 you just saved. You add those up, and its 6 mil total in cap you just blew keeping him around as a JAG.

Cotton

Staff member

Troof.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm ok with releasing Crawford, but, uh, what depth inside? We have none. That's why I want him still.

We have Collins and Ward and that's it. The rest are tweeners like Irving and Crawford himself. Bring back McClain and then we can talk.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm ok with releasing Crawford, but, uh, what depth inside? We have none. That's why I want him still.

We have Collins and Ward and that's it. The rest are tweeners like Irving and Crawford himself. Bring back McClain and then we can talk.
That's exactly what KD's tweet is saying. Get depth at the 1T position so we can release Crawford. McClain would fit that need perfectly.

Top Bottom