Cowboys Early 53 Man Roster Attempt

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I was bored and decided to go back and watch some Bo Scarbrough. I'm kind of excited for this guy. Wouldn't surprise me if he earns the number 2 RB role. The guy has some break away speed. But he is also a serious hammer. He looks huge on film. I really hope he earns the number 2 job. Maybe not as versatile as Rod Smith but just a more talented pure runner in my opinion. Anyway, here are some runs for everyone's enjoyment. With our O-line giving him a runway to get started, man he could be tough to tackle.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So I was bored and decided to go back and watch some Bo Scarbrough. I'm kind of excited for this guy. Wouldn't surprise me if he earns the number 2 RB role. The guy has some break away speed. But he is also a serious hammer. He looks huge on film. I really hope he earns the number 2 job. Maybe not as versatile as Rod Smith but just a more talented pure runner in my opinion. Anyway, here are some runs for everyone's enjoyment. With our O-line giving him a runway to get started, man he could be tough to tackle.
I agree. I think he could be the perfect complement to Zeke. My only concern is him staying healthy.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm not a Scarbrough fan. I don't think he'll amount to much.
Depends on how they use him. If he takes on a situation role then he might not be able to blossom because he will draw a heavy defense.. if however they just insert him as the tegular RB he could get a chance to break loose. I think he is probably ready to take on the regular RB duties.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Way-too-early Dallas Cowboys 53-man roster projection
By Jon Machota , Staff Writer

The NFL offseason is flying by. Rookie minicamp gets started this weekend and organized team activities and mandatory minicamp are right around the corner.

So what better time for a way-too-early 53-man roster projection?

Here we go.

Quarterback (3)

The Cowboys often go with only two QBs, like last season, but they may keep three this year after spending a fifth-round pick on Mike White. If Cooper Rush and White perform well throughout training camp and the preseason, Dallas probably won't risk losing either player at what is the most important position.

- Dak Prescott
- Cooper Rush
- Mike White

Running back (5)

Went with three traditional running backs, a fullback and a "web back" here. Tavon Austin could also be considered a receiver, but he'll carry the ball as much as he catches it. In five NFL seasons, Austin has 194 receptions and 184 carries. Scarbrough's ability to play special teams could impact this final group.

- Ezekiel Elliott
- Rod Smith
- Bo Scarbrough
- Jamize Olawale
- Tavon Austin

Tight end (4)

These four seem pretty solid at the moment. However, the fourth tight end could wind up being a veteran not on the current roster. Fans want to see Rico Gathers get his chance, but if the coaching staff doesn't feel like he can contribute in all areas, he could be the odd man out.

- Geoff Swaim
- Blake Jarwin
- Dalton Schultz
- Rico Gathers

Wide receiver (5)

Austin's ability to play receiver technically gives the Cowboys six at the position. The first four below are locked in at the moment. The final spot will likely come down to Noah Brown, Deonte Thompson, Cedrick Wilson and Lance Lenoir. Dallas could always keep two from that group and go thin at another position.

- Allen Hurns
- Cole Beasley
- Terrance Williams
- Michael Gallup
- Noah Brown

Offensive line (8)

There's some outstanding position flex here that allows the Cowboys to go with just eight. Connor Williams will likely begin his career at left guard, but he has the ability to play tackle if needed. Marcus Martin and Joe Looney provide depth at all of the interior positions. Cameron Fleming is the next man up at either tackle spot. Chaz Green is on the bubble. If Dallas goes with nine, he'd be the next man up.

- Tyron Smith
- Zack Martin
- Travis Frederick
- La'el Collins
- Connor Williams
- Cameron Fleming
- Marcus Martin
- Joe Looney

Special teams (3)

There's really no reason to think these three would change. Dan Bailey would have to have a disastrous start to the season for the Cowboys to realistically consider bringing in any kicking competition. L.P. Ladouceur enters his 14th season as the team's long snapper. Chris Jones has been Dallas' only punter since 2013.

- Dan Bailey
- Chris Jones
- L.P. Ladouceur

Defensive line (9)

The Cowboys could go with 10, possibly keeping Randy Gregory, Charles Tapper or a player not on the current roster. These nine would provide solid depth at every position and represent Dallas' most talented defensive line since DeMarcus Ware was on the team.

- DeMarcus Lawrence
- Tyrone Crawford
- Taco Charlton
- Kony Ealy
- Dorance Armstrong
- David Irving
- Maliek Collins
- Jihad Ward
- Brian Price

Linebacker (6)

Leighton Vander Esch replaces Anthony Hitchens. Joe Thomas replaces Kyle Wilber. The final spot comes down to veteran Justin March-Lillard and sixth-round pick Chris Covington. If Covington doesn't make the final cut, he'd likely be a player the Cowboys would try to stash on their practice squad.

- Sean Lee
- Jaylon Smith
- Leighton Vander Esch
- Damien Wilson
- Joe Thomas
- Justin March-Lillard

Cornerback (6)

With how much the Cowboys are in their dime and nickel packages, they need to go heavy here. Marquez White, a sixth-round pick in 2017, spent last season on the practice squad. Duke Thomas played well enough to make the roster last year, but he injured his foot/knee in the preseason and spent the entire year on injured reserve. Dallas could end up going with five here if it needs an extra offensive or defensive lineman.

- Chidobe Awuzie
- Jourdan Lewis
- Byron Jones
- Anthony Brown
- Marquez White
- Duke Thomas

Safety (4)

Most figured the Cowboys would add a safety at some point during the draft, either picking one or trading for All-Pro Earl Thomas. Neither happened, so there's a wide open roster spot available. Dallas could still fill it by getting a deal done with Seattle for Thomas or by signing a veteran free agent.

- Jeff Heath
- Xavier Woods
- Kavon Frazier
- Player not on the current roster.
Gathers ain't making it. Sorry.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm surprised by the amount of negativity surrounding him after how he played last preseason.
Booz always hates him but yeah I'm surprised the team isn't at least sort of pimping him as a real receiving threat. I guess we just emphasize blocking so much with our TE's that maybe they don't care what a threat he is as a receiver.

Top Bottom