MLB Chatter Thread

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Sale is just too hard to get.
He is one of the top SPs in the league and has a contract that is way below his production level. They would be stupid to trade him for anything less than a package that includes a few of the very top prospects in any organization. Some team is going to pay it. If not the Nats then probably the Red Sox. If the Astros are not willing to part with Bregman they have no chance.

Side note, apparently the Rangers have some interest in Jorge Soler. Let get something done there.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The Washington Nationals, balking at Bryce Harper’s demands in early talks about a long-term contract extension, now are preparing themselves to be without their All-Star outfielder after 2018, a high-ranking Nationals executive told USA TODAY Sports.

The executive spoke to USA TODAY Sports on Monday only on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the negotiations.

Harper, according to the executive, is asking for a record deal that will exceed 10 years in length, and likely pay him in excess of $400 million.
Mets shoulda saved their money.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
He is one of the top SPs in the league and has a contract that is way below his production level. They would be stupid to trade him for anything less than a package that includes a few of the very top prospects in any organization. Some team is going to pay it. If not the Nats then probably the Red Sox. If the Astros are not willing to part with Bregman they have no chance.

Side note, apparently the Rangers have some interest in Jorge Soler. Let get something done there.
I know. Just think the asking price is too much for any team. I still cringe at what they asked for from Texas and I don't think that was the final package. Could have been worse. Doesn't help that the free agent SP market is bare this winter.

Rev

Staff member
Also have interest in Matt Szczur as well. Not sure what kind of prospects either of those guys would demand or what OF position. Either of them able to play CF? Seems like we are looking hard at every CF from Lorenzo Cain to Billy Hamilton.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Also have interest in Matt Szczur as well. Not sure what kind of prospects either of those guys would demand or what OF position. Either of them able to play CF? Seems like we are looking hard at every CF from Lorenzo Cain to Billy Hamilton.
Soler can definitely not play CF. He is passable at the corner OF positions and has a cannon for an arm, but he is not a good defender. He has shown some serious power at the plate–he is a huge man–but he needs to stay on the field and show he can put it together over a full season. Teams still love his potential but I am sure his value took a hit this season as he missed more time with minor injuries. Szczur can play CF. Good player but probably best served as a 4th OF type that can play any OF position (not much of an arm so RF would be pushing it). They wouldn't have to give up anything of significance because he is out of options with the Cubs and they don't have room for him so they pretty much have to trade him.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I can not tell you how awesome it is that "pulling off a Cubs season" is now the goal around the league. For so long "pulling a Cubs" was generally associated with some sort of epic failure.
I thought pulling a Cub is something that pervs do at rest stops.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I am not sure I would go all in to acquire Sale. The talent is certainly there, but he is kind of quirky...I mean the guy cut up throwback jerseys so he and the team did not have to wear them. Odd behavior.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I am not sure I would go all in to acquire Sale. The talent is certainly there, but he is kind of quirky...I mean the guy cut up throwback jerseys so he and the team did not have to wear them. Odd behavior.
That would be a little tough to reconcile for me if I were looking at giving up a few of my best prospects plus probably a Major Leaguer. Ultimately though for a team like Boston or Washington who have the pieces to get it done, it could very well put them over the top. Some team will definitely take that chance but there are really only a few for whom it makes sense.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
The Royals like Jorge Soler, 670 The Score’s Bruce Levine tweets. Rated as one of the game’s best prospects just two years ago, Soler has shown only a few glimpses of his potential at the MLB level and doesn’t have a clear path to regular playing time within the very crowded Cubs outfield. The Cubs shopped Soler last offseason, and Levine speculates that a deal could be worked out involving K.C. closer Wade Davis, as Chicago is one of several teams interested in Davis
---------------------------------------------------

Glad Soler is drawing some interest. The Cubs are not going to get the kind of return they would have gotten for him a year or two ago but there simply is no room at the inn. He is the odd man out and does have some trade value so they have to move him. Wade Davis makes me nervous after the arm problems he had last year but if he is right he is a dominant pen guy.

The Cubs have been talking to the Rays since at least last offseason about trading for pitching. I think either Alex Cobb or Drew Smyly will be a Cub. Would love Archer but I don't see Tampa trading him and if they do the cost would be really high. He is the one guy on that staff that would compel me to include Javy Baez in a trade. Not sure what Cobb or Smyly will cost. I'm sure it won't be super cheap but it can't be a crazy high cost. Cobb is a free agent after next season and Smyly, though he has a couple more years of control left, has not proven he can pitch at a high level for a complete season. Thoughts [MENTION=12]Deuce[/MENTION] ?

Last edited:

Rev

Staff member
Soler can definitely not play CF. He is passable at the corner OF positions and has a cannon for an arm, but he is not a good defender. He has shown some serious power at the plate–he is a huge man–but he needs to stay on the field and show he can put it together over a full season. Teams still love his potential but I am sure his value took a hit this season as he missed more time with minor injuries. Szczur can play CF. Good player but probably best served as a 4th OF type that can play any OF position (not much of an arm so RF would be pushing it). They wouldn't have to give up anything of significance because he is out of options with the Cubs and they don't have room for him so they pretty much have to trade him.
Well then I will mark Szczur down as a Ranger. They have need for a 4th OF and specifically one that can play CF. I think they have soured on DeShields and probably want to give him some competition.

Rev

Staff member
Looks like the Red Sox win the Sale sweepstake.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Red Sox To Acquire Chris Sale

By Steve Adams | December 6, 2016 at 12:14pm CDT

The Red Sox and White Sox have agreed to a blockbuster trade that will send Chris Sale from Chicago to Boston in exchange for Yoan Moncada, Michael Kopech and two other prospects, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter).
-----------------------------
I am glad it is the Red Sox and not the Nats. A Scherzer/Strasburg/Sale rotation would be a nightmare in the NL.

The Nats will probably land Andrew McCutchen now. They wanted to try to get McCutchen and Sale, which was a pipe dream, but I am sure they can get Cutch if they really want him. They have some pretty highly rated prospects they can deal.

Last edited:

Rev

Staff member
Meanwhile the Rangers are looking at a 4th OFer and trying to convince Tolleson to come back.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Red Sox To Acquire Chris Sale

By Steve Adams | December 6, 2016 at 12:14pm CDT

The Red Sox and White Sox have agreed to a blockbuster trade that will send Chris Sale from Chicago to Boston in exchange for Yoan Moncada, Michael Kopech and two other prospects, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter).
-----------------------------
I am glad it is the Red Sox and not the Nats. A Scherzer/Strasburg/Sale rotation would be a nightmare in the NL.

The Nats will probably land Andrew McCutchen now. They wanted to try to get McCutchen and Sale, which was a pipe dream, but I am sure they can get Cutch if they really want him. They have some pretty highly rated prospects they can deal.
Holy shit...the Red Sox got raped. Moncado was the best prospect in all of baseball...I could see them using Kopech out of the pen...he supposedly hit 105 on the gun last year. Victor Diaz was also clocked between 97-100...and Basabe is a very solid OF prospect.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Holy shit...the Red Sox got raped. Moncado was the best prospect in all of baseball...I could see them using Kopech out of the pen...he supposedly hit 105 on the gun last year. Victor Diaz was also clocked between 97-100...and Basabe is a very solid OF prospect.
It is a shitload in prospect talent but I think it makes the Red Sox the clear favorites to win the AL for the next couple of years. At least right at this moment it does anyway. That offense is ridiculous and now they have Sale/Price/Porcello as the foundation of their rotation. I don't think it was a bad move. It was a great move for the White Sox.

Also, last year when these teams talked the White Sox wanted Betts and Benintendi+. I think they got off a little easier this time around. As with any trade, this could backfire on the Red Sox, but they are trying to win the World Series and this move definitely increases their odds.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
It is a shitload in prospect talent but I think it makes the Red Sox the clear favorites to win the AL for the next couple of years. At least right at this moment it does anyway. That offense is ridiculous and now they have Sale/Price/Porcello as the foundation of their rotation. I don't think it was a bad move. It was a great move for the White Sox.

Also, last year when these teams talked the White Sox wanted Betts and Benintendi+. I think they got off a little easier this time around. As with any trade, this could backfire on the Red Sox, but they are trying to win the World Series and this move definitely increases their odds.
I just thought Moncada would be untouchable...but you either have to trade them or play them...so I give them credit for acting quickly, but damn...Moncada.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I just thought Moncada would be untouchable...but you either have to trade them or play them...so I give them credit for acting quickly, but damn...Moncada.
I think he was untouchable for a long time but they finally gave in. Besides being a super prospect they had invested over $60M in Moncada. It is a huge cost to the Red Sox but I get why they made the move. There was nothing close to as impactful an arm available in FA or probably even in trade.

Just saw this. Typical negotiating tactic:

Rev

Staff member
Rangers manager going on about a 6 man rotation.

I think he needs to worry about finding 5 first.

Top Bottom