Week 13 Thursday Night Gameday Chatter | Cowboys vs Vikings | 12-1-2016

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you say so, but the bubble screen was first used in the 49ers game and the Whitehead play has been used many times. Where are the new wrinkles? Defensive teams with players that study are going to recognize what the Cowboys are doing sooner or later.

In fact, they'd almost have to be retarded not to know what kind of plays Dallas runs.

Minny flat out took away the Witten option in the middle of the field and had Williams on lockdown. Dez beat the Vikings on a double move, but that's hardly creative just good execution and a bad read by the Vikings defense.

They took away the easy short throws, so Dallas has to find a way back to generating that intermediate rhythm-passing with multiple targets. It's time for the pass to set up the run for a change.
We tried a new wrinkle of putting Zeke in the backfield, motioning him out to WR and then throwing him the quick screen. The problem was Zeke got tackled by Newman for like a 4 yard loss. Zeke just did not look like he was running with as much authority as usual. On a normal week I can't imagine Newman tackles him that easily.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If you say so, but the bubble screen was first used in the 49ers game and the Whitehead play has been used many times. Where are the new wrinkles? Defensive teams with players that study are going to recognize what the Cowboys are doing sooner or later.

In fact, they'd almost have to be retarded not to know what kind of plays Dallas runs.

Minny flat out took away the Witten option in the middle of the field and had Williams on lockdown. Dez beat the Vikings on a double move, but that's hardly creative just good execution and a bad read by the Vikings defense.

They took away the easy short throws, so Dallas has to find a way back to generating that intermediate rhythm-passing with multiple targets. It's time for the pass to set up the run for a change.
New wrinkles? Icing a game with a bubble screen is pretty aggressive. Hard to understand your complaint about the offense lacking creativity. They are 4th in yardage and 5th in points scored. I mean sure, we can sign Richie Anderson and let him throw a flea flicker. Then maybe relics like you will be happy.

When you are good sometimes you don't have to be creative. Quite frankly, I don't think they felt the need to open up the entire playbook vs Min.

We are not like the 90s teams that were pretty much reliant on the triplets and Novacek. They take away Witten and Williams, sure, but then you lean on Zeke, Dak runs, Beasley, and Dez. You can't stop this offense just based on a couple guys not putting up numbers.

The Whitehead end around has been good all year...sure, he fumbled when he extended the play, but of the 8 times they have used it on 2 have gone for less that 5 yards...the other 6 were at least 5 yard gains. So yeah, I am not wanting to tuck that one away either.

townsend

Banned
New wrinkles? Icing a game with a bubble screen is pretty aggressive. Hard to understand your complaint about the offense lacking creativity. They are 4th in yardage and 5th in points scored. I mean sure, we can sign Richie Anderson and let him throw a flea flicker. Then maybe relics like you will be happy.

When you are good sometimes you don't have to be creative. Quite frankly, I don't think they felt the need to open up the entire playbook vs Min.

We are not like the 90s teams that were pretty much reliant on the triplets and Novacek. They take away Witten and Williams, sure, but then you lean on Zeke, Dak runs, Beasley, and Dez. You can't stop this offense just based on a couple guys not putting up numbers.

The Whitehead end around has been good all year...sure, he fumbled when he extended the play, but of the 8 times they have used it on 2 have gone for less that 5 yards...the other 6 were at least 5 yard gains. So yeah, I am not wanting to tuck that one away either.
That Whitehead run in Greenbay was one of the most crucial plays of the game. We probably don't score without it. Gave us a ton of momentum at the end of the half.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That Whitehead run in Greenbay was one of the most crucial plays of the game. We probably don't score without it. Gave us a ton of momentum at the end of the half.
Yeah, every game is different. It's not a reasonable approach to reference a game sequence of events to another game. There are too many variables. As you indicated one play that didn't work well in this game worked well in another. The end result of the game is the only constant. You win or you lose.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, every game is different. It's not a reasonable approach to reference a game sequence of events to another game. There are too many variables. As you indicated one play that didn't work well in this game worked well in another. The end result of the game is the only constant. You win or you lose.
If Whitehead just secures the ball it was an excellent play.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Now he just needs to see how many turkey avocado sandwhichs he can eat at once.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Now he just needs to see how many turkey avocado sandwhichs he can eat at once.
You are a sick individual.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

I completely agree.

I'm not sure why there's a sense of panic and a push to change things after one poor performance. The offense has been fine in recent weeks. The O was good versus Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Washington. This was one of those random off days that all teams experience. Even the elite teams will usually have a few games a year where they're completely out of sync.

As I said earlier in the year, wake me when there's a clear trend that Dak and the offense are struggling. One sub par performance out of five games is not a trend.

Additionally, I'm fine with the Whitehead sweeps as well. They're generally successful.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I completely agree.

I'm not sure why there's a sense of panic and a push to change things after one poor performance. The offense has been fine in recent weeks. The O was good versus Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Washington. This was one of those random off days that all teams experience. Even the elite teams will usually have a few games a year where they're completely out of sync.

As I said earlier in the year, wake me when there's a clear trend that Dak and the offense are struggling. One sub par performance out of five games is not a trend.

Additionally, I'm fine with the Whitehead sweeps as well. They're generally successful.
You mean, like NE versus Seattle? Agreed.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
WTF, both the Giants and Redskins games are late games.

Top Bottom