Christmas Eve/Day Chatter - Week 16 | Various Games | 12/24-25/2016

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yeah but you only carry 4 to 5 DEs on the roster. I doubt Ware could be a full time 4-3 DE now, so you're really talking about using one of those developmental spots on an old guy who plays on third downs. Lawrence, Tapper and Irving should all be on the roster next year. So then it's Ware and possibly one new draft pick. Assuming Gregory is suspended.
Im not letting any of that keep me from improving the pass rush if they think he can. None of them have been consistent enough to keep me from improving the team.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Im not letting any of that keep me from improving the pass rush if they think he can. None of them have been consistent enough to keep me from improving the team.
How many sacks do you think he gets in Dallas? We aren't signing him for the run. And frankly I don't want to sign a guy just because of his name.

Rev

Staff member
How many sacks do you think he gets in Dallas? We aren't signing him for the run. And frankly I don't want to sign a guy just because of his name.
How many did you think Freeney would get last year or this one? Dont really expect that but its possible. Just not going to snub my nose because Tapper will lose out on snaps or Irving loses out on the two good games a year he gets.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How many did you think Freeney would get last year or this one? Dont really expect that but its possible. Just not going to snub my nose because Tapper will lose out on snaps or Irving loses out on the two good games a year he gets.
Dwight Freeny has 3 sacks this year. Probably would be similar for Ware next season. Ware has 4 sacks this season.

I'm not thumbing my nose up at anyone who can improve our pass rush but if the guy is going to do less then Mayowa, I'd rather have an extra young guy on the roster with potential.

Rev

Staff member
Dwight Freeny has 3 sacks this year. Probably would be similar for Ware next season. Ware has 4 sacks this season.

I'm not thumbing my nose up at anyone who can improve our pass rush but if the guy is going to do less then Mayowa, I'd rather have an extra young guy on the roster with potential.
Looked at the wrong column for this year but still everybody thought Freeney was done before last year. Ware isnt going to command a big contract in years or money (I would think). Possibly even a year contract. For that I would take a chance on a low contract and you can still draft a guy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looked at the wrong column for this year but still everybody thought Freeney was done before last year. Ware isnt going to command a big contract in years or money (I would think). Possibly even a year contract. For that I would take a chance on a low contract and you can still draft a guy.
I just don't see the point unless I honestly believe he can be an 8-10 sack kind of guy. I don't so I wouldn't. I'd rather keep a young guy on the roster like Tapper.

Rev

Staff member
I just don't see the point unless I honestly believe he can be an 8-10 sack kind of guy. I don't so I wouldn't. I'd rather keep a young guy on the roster like Tapper.
Interesting. So you will play a guy with half a back but wont play Romo?

:tippytoe

townsend

Banned
Ware was playing really well before his injury. I think it took him about 10 weeks to get back to 100%.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ware was playing really well before his injury. I think it took him about 10 weeks to get back to 100%.
The hard thing with Ware is that the injuries are really starting to increase with frequency. He had tremendous health early in his career this season he has only played in 10 games. Last season he only played in 11 games. His last season in Dallas he only played in 13 games.

I don't know, maybe the guy has one last hurrah in him. I just like the youth movement we started on defense when we let him go. I hate to then turn the clock backwards and add a 35 year old injury prone DE.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The hard thing with Ware is that the injuries are really starting to increase with frequency. He had tremendous health early in his career this season he has only played in 10 games. Last season he only played in 11 games. His last season in Dallas he only played in 13 games.

I don't know, maybe the guy has one last hurrah in him. I just like the youth movement we started on defense when we let him go. I hate to then turn the clock backwards and add a 35 year old injury prone DE.
Yep. Ware even at his best health now isn't a prospect that you can rely on. His entire game is and has been pursuing a Quarterback and trying to change the game strategy of the opponent. At one time he could do that and that is what made him valuable but now he simply can't pull that off so why bother.

All he will be able to do going forward is to possibly get a sack every three games or so. That doesn't equate to a game changer. Dallas already has this type on their roster.

Rev

Staff member
As a rotation piece I have no problem with bringing him back. We are in the win now window and adding a proven guy that won't cost much or prevent from adding another young players seems like a prudent thing to do.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
As a rotation piece I have no problem with bringing him back. We are in the win now window and adding a proven guy that won't cost much or prevent from adding another young players seems like a prudent thing to do.
A young draft product that is inexpensive with an up side appeals more to me than an experienced but limited production player with no upside. This is true for this position but it depends on the position with the team as to whether this approach can always be be taken. Just my preference.

Rev

Staff member
A young draft product that is inexpensive with an up side appeals more to me than an experienced but limited production player with no upside. This is true for this position but it depends on the position with the team as to whether this approach can always be be taken. Just my preference.
You can have both.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can have both.
Sort of, I mean there are only so many roster spots for DEs. So Ware does take a job from someone. If he is on the roster he is going to be active and he is going to play. Which is all fine and good but if he is going to be a 6 sack guy, we are better off with Mayowa out there.

Rev

Staff member
Ware with back injury now so it's moot now. Have to figure he is done now.

Rev

Staff member
When.

Now?
It was a tweet I saw yesterday. Was on my phone at the time so didn't post it but will try to find now.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It was a tweet I saw yesterday. Was on my phone at the time so didn't post it but will try to find now.
Yeah, I know. I was being a dink and playing with your use of the word 'now'. :art

Ware with back injury now so it's moot now. Have to figure he is done now.

Top Bottom