Jerry Jones: Ayuh or Feh?

Jerry Jones: Ayuh or Feh?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

data

Forbes #1
Jerry Jones has given fans more inside access into how our beloved franchise operates than any other sports franchise in existence. It’s easy to find and follow the team - HBO specials, primetime games, draft War Room, etc. Cowboys’ marketing reach is above and beyond any other franchise with merchandise more readily found than any other franchise. State-of-the-art, world renowned stadium that everyone else has since tried to emulate. Never a dull moment, even losses are drama; Always relevant, always a spectacle with something to talk about. The Cowboys have won 3 Super Bowls.

Cowboys have won 3 playoff games since 1996, only one of three NFC teams w/o an NFCC appearance since 1996. Jerry allows and encourages a circus environment, sometimes embarrassing fans.

When it comes down to his 38 years of ownership, Jerry Jones in one word - ayuh or feh?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think everyone on this knows how I voted on this one. Hell, I started a fucking website to take him down. :lol

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
All I care about is winning so the answer is obvious. In a vacuum 3 Super Bowls in 30 years is very good but we all know there are significant mitigating circumstances there.

data

Forbes #1
I think everyone on this knows how I voted on this one. Hell, I started a fucking website to take him down. :lol
ya know, maybe you could start a JJ-only hate thread here to chronicle why he is so despised. Include the articles that all of your wonderful CFR contributors made. Let it stand as a virtual memorial and everlasting reminder in cyberspace...or at least until the donations run out.

midswat

... soon
His whole family can die in a fire for all I care.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
3 super bowls in 30 years sounds nice but what about 3 super bowls in the first 5 years then 25 years of being shit upon?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The only thing that makes the conversation remotely even worth having is the fact that he lucked into hiring Jimmy Johnson which brought about 3 early Super Bowls.

I don't care about his amazing success marketing and branding and his "willingness to spend." Yes, he's a showman who has excelled with promoting the brand, and maybe that has its advantages over a loser like Bum Bright owning the team.

But give me Jeffrey Lurie, Robert Kraft, Arthur Blank, etc, any reasonably active and bright businessman running an NFL team, and combine that with the national allure of the Cowboys, and you probably have similar exposure. Maybe you don't quite have the same diamond of a stadium or gem of a practice facility. Maybe the team website isn't quite as polished. Maybe the media exposure isn't quite so invasive and unrelenting. But the Cowboys as a brand almost sells itself. There's no question in my mind that the Cowboys would still be the league's preeminent franchise with a different, less showy owner. And if they had continued to win in the last 20 years, the period in which the NFL has really, truly surged to the forefront of American culture, they might be even bigger than they are given that they've been largely an afterthought, competitively, for the last two decades.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
ya know, maybe you could start a JJ-only hate thread here to chronicle why he is so despised. Include the articles that all of your wonderful CFR contributors made. Let it stand as a virtual memorial and everlasting reminder in cyberspace...or at least until the donations run out.
I am far too lazy for that. Besides, I couldn't even tell you where all of that stuff is anymore.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I wonder which Jerry would choose to have carved on his tombstone:

1. "He was the P.T.Barnum of the N.F.L. No one was better at vacuuming money out of the suckers' pockets."

... or ...

2. "He was a football guy."

There are hucksters in every field of endeavor, and lots of them have gotten rich doing it. So what.

But there's only a few football guys -- Halas, Paul Brown, maybe even Al Davis.

So Jerry is condemned to the legacy of a snake oil salesman. But with a record of wins and losses as dismal and pathetic as his, he'll never be thought of as a football guy.

I hope that eats at him. I really do.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Lostxn laughs at your meek attempt to get poll master back.

DLK150

DCC 4Life

1. "He was the P.T.Barnum of the N.F.L. No one was better at vacuuming money out of the suckers' pockets."

... or ...

There are hucksters in every field of endeavor, and lots of them have gotten rich doing it. So what.

So Jerry is condemned to the legacy of a snake oil salesman. But with a record of wins and losses as dismal and pathetic as his, he'll never be thought of as a football guy.

Of those, probably #2.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Three Superbowls in four years doesn’t happen with Landry, Schram, and Bright. Jerry lucked into Jimmy and Jimmy lucked into Norv and the whole team lucked into Mike Lynn.

Teams with three Super Bowl wins since 1989:

New England
Dallas
Denver
New York Giants

Keep that in perspective.

vince

Not So New Member
If you watch All or Nothing, you can clearly see the mixed signals the players receive from the coaches and Jerry Jones. Jerry basically excuses them after a loss. That's one huge reason why all the players don't give a shit. It takes ballsy cuts like the one with Dez and even Switzer to let everyone know their jobs are not safe and those were due to everyone else besides Jerry.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Three Superbowls in four years doesn’t happen with Landry, Schram, and Bright. Jerry lucked into Jimmy and Jimmy lucked into Norv and the whole team lucked into Mike Lynn.

Teams with three Super Bowl wins since 1989:

New England
Dallas
Denver
New York Giants

Keep that in perspective.

Kelly Conway's on the phone for you. She wants to offer you a job in Trump's communications shop. Seriously. Anyone who can twist and spin the fiction of an equivalence between the NE Patriots and the Dallas Cowboys since 1989 has a gold-plated future the Trump administration.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

... or ...

What do you do with the Three super bowl trophy’s. You can’t just ignore them although I know all the gyrations regarding he had nothing to do with it. Still as any owners resume they belong there just as any others credentials. A lot of owners are not regarded as football guys yet their team fairs well. Jones actually has as much of or more of a football background as most other owners with his collegiate experience and exposure as GM. He is in the NFL HOF and pretty well regarded in the league notwithstanding the Commissioner snafu. I dont think he looses a lot of sleep if someone doesn’t think he isn’t a football guy. With his wealth and station in life I dare say his consideration toward what someone thinks of him is virtually non existent. That’s just my opinion.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it was flipped and we were coming off our third Superbowl win in 4 years right now I'm sure the poll results would be different. But that early 90's success is so far away that it's hard to even remember what it was like.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If you watch All or Nothing, you can clearly see the mixed signals the players receive from the coaches and Jerry Jones. Jerry basically excuses them after a loss. That's one huge reason why all the players don't give a shit. It takes ballsy cuts like the one with Dez and even Switzer to let everyone know their jobs are not safe and those were due to everyone else besides Jerry.
Case in point, when zeke have up on a play against the broncos...in the "coaches" meeting the following week Jerry said something to the effect of, "I don't want to make excuses, BUT Zeke's been under a lot of stress."

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
When Jerry hired Jimmy and the turnaround turned into championships, I really liked Jerry. I thought he was ballsy to come in and do what he did. Even though I knew Jimmy was the brain behind the machine.
Now twenty one years later since we were legit, it's truly embarrassing. Yet fans line up and buy into Jerry's shitshow. I think we're moving in the right direction. But don't tell me, show me.
Perspective:
Last time we could be called contenders Bill Clinton was wrapping up his first term.

Top Bottom