Gallup: 'I don't like body catches'

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Gallup: 'I don't like body catches'
This alone will make him a fan-favorite for Cowboys' fans who dislike Terrance Williams' style of play.
Patrik Walker - 3 hours ago 0

Michael Gallup has hands and he plans to use them for the Dallas Cowboys.

It was a foregone conclusion the team would grab at least one wide receiver in this year's NFL Draft, and they steadily expanded their view to cover both potential early, mid- and late-round picks. It was a smart play in the event things happened during the draft that forced them to adjust on the fly, which it inevitably did, and the team could ill-afford to walk away from three days and seven rounds of selections without grabbing another impact wideout at some point. Only days after owner Jerry Jones made it clear there were no replacements for Dez Bryant currently on the roster, they made the call in the third round to grab Gallup, dropping him into a cavernous void left behind by the release of the All-Pro.

The rookie will have some sizable cleats to fill considering what Bryant did for the organization over the course of his NFL career, but Gallup is a physical WR who has all the tools to get the job done. One of his biggest assets comes by way of his catch radius and eagerness to reel the ball in with his hands instead of his body, the latter being a perennial knock to a player like Terrance Williams -- who recently admitted his need to improve in that arena, saying he "can't disagree" when told he needs to use his hands.

For his part, Gallup says it's never something you'll have to worry about with him, given his attacking demeanor.

“If you’re not aggressive, you’re going to get beat up," said the rookie, via David Moore of The Dallas Morning News. "I’m going to go up there and get it. I’m going to high point it. I like to catch with my hands. I don’t like body catches. I’m definitely a strong-willed wide receiver.”

The definition of an athlete in its purest form, Gallup lettered in four sports during his high school days (football, baseball, track and basketball). He pulls a skill from each sport seemingly on-demand, and can be a handful to cover. There's no denying he can deliver at the NFL level, having racked up a massive 2,685 receiving yards and 21 touchdowns in only 26 games with the Rams, en route to earning First-Team All-Mountain West honors and a 2017 Consensus All-American nod in the process. A junior college transfer that has had to work his way up to the big stage, don't discount the intangible of his will to prove everyone wrong.

He still needs small bit of polish, but pencil him in as the team's newest starting X receiver going forward -- because he'll most certainly come in... handy.

Author
Patrik Walker @VoiceOfTheStar

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Exclusive: Terrance Williams says 'There will be Hell to Pay'

Exclusive: Terrance Williams says 'There will be Hell to Pay'

The Dallas Cowboys wide receiver has a promise to every one of his critics.
Mike Fisher - 4 hours ago 1

Social media is a land of "Keyboard Eastwoods,'' tough guys who use Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to pose as wanna-be opinion-makers or shoulda-been jocks. In the world of the Dallas Cowboys, no player is more of a target for the "tough guys'' than receiver Terrance Williams, a carryover vet left standing in the receivers room in the wake of the dismissal of Dez Bryant.

"Folks always use me as the 'bad guy,'" T-Will tells me when I ask about life as a favorite fan whipping post. "but I’m cool with it. ... The people that have bad stuff to say about me, you can keep coming with it because I’m still going to be here representing my team and my coaches. And so I’m here for the whole ride. All of it.''

This twisted relationship between some fans and a starting player (and DFW native) on their favorite team reared its ugly head yet again on Wednesday. Williams, after retweeting a series of insulting posts about his ability, responded.

"Any Weapon formed against me shall not prosper,'' Williams wrote, paraphrasing Isaiah 54:17.

To the critics, it doesn't matter if even an authority as qualified as ex-Cowboys QB Tony Romo names Williams as a potential step-up guy this year, as he is doing this week at a U.S. Open event, noting, "Terrance Williams is an underrated receiver. I think he has an opportunity to step up now and we’ll see how it plays out."

It also doesn't matter if Williams tries to defend himself. There is no bravery to match the critic willing to call a professional athlete "soft'' or "dumb'' or a "loser.'' ... as long as there are miles and miles of wireless air between the attacker and his target.

"If I have to do (absorb criticism in a way that benefits) my teammates and my coaches, I’m perfectly fine doing that, because there is stuff that (the critics) don’t see that I do,'' Williams tells me. "I know that I truly believe that I am a team player, and if i’ve got to take one for the team then I’ll do it with no hesitation.''

Of course, there's no need for martyrdom here. The same mob of fans who "hate'' Williams likely also "hated'' Dez, and "hate'' Cole Beasley and Tyrone Crawford and Jason Garrett and Scott Linehan and Jerry Jones and any other Cowboys figure who comes into their scope. That "hatred'' says very little about the target, but plenty about the "assassins,'' who want their opinions to be as respected as the opinions of a scout, and who want their talents to be respected as somebody "who could be just as good as T-Will, had I only been given the chance.''

Better than martyrdom is ... work. Williams and the Cowboys are doing that, with a receiver's focus obviously including chemistry with QB Dak Prescott.

"There's a lot of stuff that we do that most people don’t see,'' Williams says. "That’s spending time in our offseason coming up here and catching with Dak, and making the sacrifice to hang out with him. (Also) outside the football field, just to see what kind of guy he is. And when you get comfortable with somebody, that is bigger than football, and you treat them like a family member, you try your best not to let them down. So, that is something that we are working on, and getting better at. So, I just feel like the moment we connect as people first, the football stuff is going to take care of (itself).''

In the meantime, Williams (like thousands of other public figures) tries to navigate the world of social media. As I mention to him, the same slappy who calls out a guy him (or even a guy like me) via his smartphone would never utter the same rude statements in public.

"When you see me in person,'' he says, "I’m a completely different dude than what you think or what you see on Twitter. It comes with the job, so that’s that fan opinion, and if they feel that way, OK. I’m not the one to tell you what you can and can’t think. If you feel that way, it’s my job to change it, not talk about it. I’ve gotta find ways to change it. I’m not the one that has all these excuses and all this stuff. If you feel like I’m sorry, I’ve got to change that. ... I truly believe in just proving people wrong and not just talking about it. Just finding ways to do it.''

That would be the final word (all part of my Video Visit with Terrance that can be viewed here), but for yet another responsive Wednesday tweet from T-Will, a "final'' response before giving his own keyboard a breather.

"I WILL REMEMBER this day,'' Terrence Williams wrote. "Get all your jokes in now. Mark my words, there will be HELL to pay.''

Author
Mike Fisher @fishsports

Last edited:

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I like TWill, but he is definitely a body catcher.

Are there really that many folks bashing him?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
"There's a lot of stuff that we do that most people don’t see,'' Williams says. "That’s spending time in our offseason coming up here and catching with Dak, and making the sacrifice to hang out with him. (Also) outside the football field, just to see what kind of guy he is. And when you get comfortable with somebody, that is bigger than football, and you treat them like a family member, you try your best not to let them down. So, that is something that we are working on, and getting better at. So, I just feel like the moment we connect as people first, the football stuff is going to take care of (itself).''
Wow that sounds like some real sacrificing. Hanging out and playing catch with a football. Poor guy.

Top Bottom