2 (50) - 2018 NFL Draft - Cowboys select Connor Williams, OL, Texas

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The running backs are gonna love this line.
They absolutely will. And usually I don't care much about position flex but long term I think Connor has some potential to play LT. So god forbid all hell breaks lose with Tyron Smith we may be able to kick Connor back out to LT. One thing is certain, we shouldn't be in another Chaz Green giving up 5 sacks in a game situation. We have a legit backup young swing tackle on the roster and we have a guy who could have easily been a first round pick LT for someone.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I like this pick but listening to the guy talk, he seems like he might be friggin slow.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I like this pick but listening to the guy talk, he seems like he might be friggin slow.
I was more alarmed by LVE. Sounded like he should be pumping gas at Wally's Filling Station.

lostxn

DCC 4Life

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep our offense runs through the running game and great pass protection. If we don't have those two things we struggle. You don't want to let your bread and butter fall to shit.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't worry about that. He graduated high school early and was accepted into UT's exclusive school of business, and maintained a 3.5.
Sounds like a pretty sharp guy.
Maybe his voice just sounds like a big football lug

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yep our offense runs through the running game and great pass protection. If we don't have those two things we struggle. You don't want to let your bread and butter fall to shit.
Leary’s ability to anchor and not give ground was a perfect complement to Tyron and Fred that we lost with Collins and Cooper.

This is was a gaping hole no one wanted to talk about.

Awesome draft pick.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Leary’s ability to anchor and not give ground was a perfect complement to Tyron and Fred that we lost with Collins and Cooper.

This is was a gaping hole no one wanted to talk about.

Awesome draft pick.

Except Williams doesn't seem to be that type of player.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I thought that as well when reading Ravis post. I also find it strange that as much as he harps on size its wierd that he takes that stance on a player that doesn't seem to fit the mauler style.

Who are you and what have you done with Ravi?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Wiliams is definitely not a Leary-type who can overwhelm opponents with his strength/girth at the POA, but he can physically dominate opponents with how quick/nimble he is which allows him to get into opponents quickly with leverage. He is also very aggressive and has a nasty streak.

Leary had much longer arms (34+) compared to Williams and was just a thick, wide body that was difficult for opponents to get around. Williams is much leaner but he is also much more effective at getting to the 2nd level and in space, and he is very smooth at climbing to LB's on combo blocks on zone runs.

Different types of players for sure but I think ultimately Williams will be a better player in general assuming he can add about 10 lbs without losing his agility/quickness.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
True, and here’s where talent and pedigree have to make up ground. We won’t have another Leary, but he’s still a major upgrade and potentially for years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Different types of players for sure but I think ultimately Williams will be a better player in general assuming he can add about 10 lbs without losing his agility/quickness.
William's I think is definitely the preferred style for our run blocking scheme. Zone running plays have a lot of reach blocks. Connor is extremely quick and athletic which will allow him to make reach blocks that Leary never dreamed of.

More important than that is he should be a lot better than Cooper was last year. Who was average and a little weak.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Wiliams is definitely not a Leary-type who can overwhelm opponents with his strength/girth at the POA, but he can physically dominate opponents with how quick/nimble he is which allows him to get into opponents quickly with leverage. He is also very aggressive and has a nasty streak.

Leary had much longer arms (34+) compared to Williams and was just a thick, wide body that was difficult for opponents to get around. Williams is much leaner but he is also much more effective at getting to the 2nd level and in space, and he is very smooth at climbing to LB's on combo blocks on zone runs.

Stepnoski was considered undersized for the NFL but used the same abilities as Williams evidently has to carve out a helluva career.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stepnoski was considered undersized for the NFL but used the same abilities as Williams evidently has to carve out a helluva career.
In terms of build Connor Williams actually reminds me of a lighter version of Zack Martin. Both had right at 33 inch arms. Connor is 6'5" while Zack is 6'4". Martin was 308 pounds at the combine while Connor was 296. Both were excellent college LT's.

Not saying he is going to be as good as Zack Martin because that's a pipe dream but if I had to make a comparison to me those two guys are very similar. I'm guessing Connor will be up to 308 pounds before you know it in an NFL weight room.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
William's I think is definitely the preferred style for our run blocking scheme. Zone running plays have a lot of reach blocks. Connor is extremely quick and athletic which will allow him to make reach blocks that Leary never dreamed of.

More important than that is he should be a lot better than Cooper was last year. Who was average and a little weak.
It’s the latter that is encouraging to me.

Leary was a perfect compliment to Tyron and Fred, offering power to augment the others’ finesse. Losing Leary was huge. You can’t argue with success, and the OL with Leary in 2014 and 2016 was as dominant as any OL has ever played.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
It’s the latter that is encouraging to me.

Leary was a perfect compliment to Tyron and Fred, offering power to augment the others’ finesse. Losing Leary was huge. You can’t argue with success, and the OL with Leary in 2014 and 2016 was as dominant as any OL has ever played.
I agree. I think the O lines of 2014 and 16' ranks right up there with any we had in the 90's.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
I agree. I think the O lines of 2014 and 16' ranks right up there with any we had in the 90's.
Really? Mark Tuinei, Kevin Gogan, Mark Stepnosk, Nate Newton, and Erik Williams? If Erik Williams had not had his car accident, then '94 & '95 would be #1 and #2. IMO

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Really? Mark Tuinei, Kevin Gogan, Mark Stepnosk, Nate Newton, and Erik Williams? If Erik Williams had not had his car accident, then '94 & '95 would be #1 and #2. IMO
They were awesome and I think even better with Gesek instead of Gogan.

But...

Tyron >> Tuinei
Martin >>>> Gogan
Fred > Stepnoski
Leary == Newton (when Nate resembled an athlete)
Free <<< Big E >>>

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It’s close. The 90s OL was amazing but burned out quicker. Some of them were older when they hit their stride. And of course there was the partying under Johnson and then the lack of oversight under Switzer and it all fell apart.

This OL lacks an Allen or an Erik Williams in his prime, but the other players are better, and everyone seems a little more long lasting.

Top Bottom