Breaking: Jason Witten To Retire

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Way too good of a deal for him to pass up.

Doubling your salary for talking about football instead of getting the shit beat out of you playing it?

Yes, please.
I said something similar earlier. No OTAs, no TC, no traveling all over the country and more money to sit and talk about a game you love? Sign me up.

I'm sure he's thought about everything for awhile and hey, it was inevitable.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I said something similar earlier. No OTAs, no TC, no traveling all over the country and more money to sit and talk about a game you love? Sign me up.

I'm sure he's thought about everything for awhile and hey, it was inevitable.
I mean he literally was handed the keys to one of the biggest jobs in the NFL. With no announcing experience. I can't blame him. Who knows if that job would have even been available to him a year or two from now.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
I'm puzzled by what MNF and ESPN sees in Witten. He seems like a great guy but he's never struck me as being particularly charismatic or entertaining in any way. He's a pretty no-nonsense, straight forward dude.

Who knows, maybe he flipped the switch and killed it in the audition. Strange.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm puzzled by what MNF and ESPN sees in Witten. He seems like a great guy but he's never struck me as being particularly charismatic or entertaining in any way. He's a pretty no-nonsense, straight forward dude.

Who knows, maybe he flipped the switch and killed it in the audition. Strange.
I'm sure a big part of it is knowing that Cowboys fans will tune in and watch even when the Cowboys aren't playing.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm watching this PC and it's kind of dawned on me that with this retirement we're kind of moving on from an era of Jerry's influence on the roster. Dez and Witten seem like the last guys who Jerry has/had an emotional tie to, most likely because his own perceived self-worth as a "football guy" is tied to them.

It feels like Jerry is further away emotionally from the players that have been brought in since about 2013, which is a good thing I think.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm watching this PC and it's kind of dawned on me that with this retirement we're kind of moving on from an era of Jerry's influence on the roster. Dez and Witten seem like the last guys who Jerry has/had an emotional tie to, most likely because his own perceived self-worth as a "football guy" is tied to them.

It feels like Jerry is further away emotionally from the players that have been brought in since about 2013, which is a good thing I think.
:towel:towel:towel:towel:towel

Hoffa

DCC 4Life

He seems pretty close to Dak and Zeke.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

It's definitely a changing of the guard. Sort of seems like all the old guys on the roster have been given the boot over the last couple of years. The offense really feels like it will truly be Dak and Zeke's to run next year. The defense sort of has already had that outside of Sean Lee and Tyron Crawford.

Cotton

Staff member
:lol I remember the days when I was just a kid posting with some of these fools.
I can't believe that when we all started posting together you couldn't even legally buy beer. That is insane to me. There is no other Cowboys msg board on the planet that have kept their core group of posters together for this long.

Sorry, I'm a little emotional after watching the Witten press conference. :sad

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's definitely a changing of the guard. Sort of seems like all the old guys on the roster have been given the boot over the last couple of years. The offense really feels like it will truly be Dak and Zeke's to run next year. The defense sort of has already had that outside of Sean Lee and Tyron Crawford.
Yea although if we're being honest the offense is really Tyron/Frederick/Martin's to run, you just don't normally think of OL in that context since they don't handle the ball.

2233boys

Not So New Member
:lol I remember the days when I was just a kid posting with some of these fools.
I honestly didn't realize you were that young. From what I recall you were always very mature, kudos. Hell I was in my 30's then, and likely acted far less mature. :lol

Still do. :unsure

2233boys

Not So New Member
I can't believe that when we all started posting together you couldn't even legally buy beer. That is insane to me. There is no other Cowboys msg board on the planet that have kept their core group of posters together for this long.

Sorry, I'm a little emotional after watching the Witten press conference. :sad
Smitty was trying out for his HS team or something back then. It is insane. You are old as f**k

Cotton

Staff member
Smitty was trying out for his HS team or something back then. It is insane. You are old as f**k
Yes, I am. And, if I ever forget, my body reminds me with the quickness.

Cotton

Staff member
Atlanta announces extending Matt Ryan right as the Witten PC started. Dickheads.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I honestly didn't realize you were that young. From what I recall you were always very mature, kudos. Hell I was in my 30's then, and likely acted far less mature. :lol

Still do. :unsure
Thank you, I'm probably more of a dick now than I was back then. Age and a full time job tends to do that to some of us.

Top Bottom