40: 4.57..................40: 4.65
20: 2.67..................20: 2.69
10: 1.62..................10: 1.56
20 SS: 4.18.............20 SS: 4.15
3 Cone: 6.94............3 Cone: 6.88
Vert: 34..................Vert: 39.5
Broad: 122..............Broad: 124
Bench: 27...............Bench: 20
Slightly more explosive but less strong.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
No, I don't have access to NFL team's files.
I meant the reports that teams had removed him from their boards. Articles, etc? Tweets? Something?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Urlacher was the exact player I thought of when I saw this pick.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The kid has range in the deep middle and of course from side to side. I think he's going to defend a lot of passes.

What we didn't need was a gimpy neck. If that's not an issue I like the pick.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I can't shake the idea that eventually this guy gets busted for steroids.

Cotton

Staff member

2233boys

Not So New Member
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/04/27/cowboys-experts-graded-leighton-vander-esch-pick

With the Dallas Cowboys' first NFL draft pick in, it's time analyze how smart the selection was.

Here's a look at how our Cowboys insiders grade the Leighton Vander Esch selection.

Tim Cowlishaw: C

There was no real secret that the Cowboys liked Florida State FS Derwin James, ranked by some as the top player in the draft. They thought they couldn't get close to him but he slid all the way to 17 -- two spots ahead of Dallas -- before being taken by Chargers. It's up to Vander Esch to prove they got a linebacker who will have the same impact over time as James.

Brandon George: C-minus

The Cowboys believe Leighton Vander Esch has unique size (6-4, 250) and coverage ability. He's a Sean Lee starter kit because he can play sideline to sideline but doesn't finish tackles as strong. Will McClay believes he'll come in and create turnovers right away. But he was only a one-year starter at Boise State, a former walk-on after playing 8-man football in high school. The Cowboys have to hope he's not another Bobby Carpenter-like bust. The Cowboys took him with Alabama linebacker Rashaan Evans still available and also without any receivers having gone off the board.

Jon Machota: B-minus

It's a solid pick that fills a need. I don't see Leighton Vander Esch making the same impact as Derwin James, though. Once the Florida State safety made it past 14, I thought it was worth it to trade up. I'm not sure Vander Esch has Pro Bowl potential. I feel strongly that James does.

David Moore: B-minus

You can question the Cowboys' decision not to pursue safety Derwin James as he unexpectedly drifted in their direction, but not their resolve. This club is sold on Leighton Vander Esch's potential and didn't waver. He may not start immediately but should see plenty of playing time.

Kevin Sherrington: B

It feels a little like a make-up call for Jaylon Smith. Also replacing a guy they got in the fourth round. And if they hadn't beaten Philly in the finale, they could have had Derwin James. Having said all that, he certainly answers a need.

------------------------------------------------

Ruh-roh.
Wasn't Evans a one year starter too? My first thought when we picked him oh noooo another Bobby Carpenter.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Evans was indeed a first year starter.

I mean, at this point I don't see why anybody cares what these writers opinions are on things like this. I get why people listen to their reporting given the access they have but they honestly aren't football minds, they don't understand the game or how to evaluate talent any better than any of us, and in most cases I'd say their ability to do so is far inferior.

Cotton

Staff member
Evans was indeed a first year starter.

I mean, at this point I don't see why anybody cares what these writers opinions are on things like this. I get why people listen to their reporting given the access they have but they honestly aren't football minds, they don't understand the game or how to evaluate talent any better than any of us, and in most cases I'd say their ability to do so is far inferior.
That's very kind of you to say.

Cotton

Staff member
You saying that these beat writers aren't even close to as good at evaluating talent is some of the members of this board (me).

Cotton

Staff member

Top Bottom