1 (19) - 2018 NFL Draft - Cowboys select Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise State

Smitty

DCC 4Life
LB Vander Esch Drafted To Dallas At No. 19; Full Scouting Report & Analysis

FRISCO, Texas – A full breakdown of the Cowboys’ first-round draft pick (No. 19 overall) Thursday night:
Read

Name: Leighton Vander Esch
Position: Linebacker
College: Boise State
Height/Weight: 6-4/256

Read
The Rundown:

The first player in Boise State history to win Mountain West Player of the Year, Vander Esch had a breakout season in 2017 with four sacks and a conference-best 141 tackles. The former walk-on posted only 47 tackles in his first two college seasons but showed star potential in his first and only year as a starter. Vander Esch is the fourth Boise State player drafted by the Cowboys since 2008: Orlando Scandrick (now with Washington), Tyrone Crawford and DeMarcus Lawrence.

Read
How He Fits In:

Linebacker has been a top need for the Cowboys this offseason after starting middle linebacker Anthony Hitchens left for Kansas City in free agency. The Cowboys signed Joe Thomas to help offset the free-agent loss of Kyle Wilber, and they’re confident in Jaylon Smith’s progress. But Vander Esch adds depth as a starting-caliber player who can play all three linebacker positions. Remember, defensive captain Sean Lee also missed time last year with injuries.

Broaddus' take:

Best trait is his ability to play with range. No question that he can get from sideline to sideline. Flows to the ball.
Will run through when he finds the ball. Knows where he needs to fill.
There are snaps where he tackles as a half man. Would like to see him take on more square. Will miss with his hands. Has to be careful not to overrun.
Quick reactions when he sees it. Trip up the ball carrier in space. Has some redirection skills. Not always aware against blocks. Times where you see him get cracked or trapped.
Best when he can play on the move. This is his way of avoiding blockers. Has a feel for how to play in coverage. Nice drops and reactions. Ball skills for interceptions. Can carry the back in the flat or up the field.
Attacks the pocket as a blitzer. Can be disruptive. Physically an impressive linebacker. Has the ability to line up in all the spots. Feel like his best position is at the MIKE.
Retrace his steps. Will take on blockers. Can close on ball in front. Will step up to tackle. Doesn’t have much pop. Will shoot the gap. Will get his head around in coverage.
Like to see him finish better. Movement is good. Needs to be more physical.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Good video. Has a huge impact this game. Though you do see some of the missed tackles too.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Dude definitely has attitude. I like it.

Cotton

Staff member
This video shows some of the attitude he plays with.

Cotton

Staff member
I am seeing a few instances of his shucking blocks in this video. I think him not being able to take on blockers my bit a bit exaggerated.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You're over-exaggerating his weaknesses, particularly the missed tackles stuff. He doesn't run through tackles with perfect form like Roquan Smith but neither does Tremaine Edmunds. His issues are more when he's running at full speed and breaking down in space, it's not necessarily a lack of strength or physicality.

His biggest weakness is his technique taking on blocks square with his hands, he tries to run around blocks or use his shoulder to slither past. That's not a major weakness, especially when you consider that he just turned 21 in February. Everybody talks about how young Edmunds is, this guy is only a year older. He played 2017 at 20 and turned 21 after the season, that's very young.

And Smith has the same issue as far as taking on blocks, he struggles and is often engulfed by OL who are able to get to him square due to his lack of height/length. Edmunds has some serious issues diagnosing the run and was often caught out of position, that's one of Vander Esch's biggest strengths and arguably the most important trait for an LB to have.

Vander Esch is honestly pretty similar to Edmunds, he's a tad smaller and a tad less explosive, but they're both massive LB's with great length who have impressive range sideline to sideline and are both very good in coverage.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Why does he wear that big neck brace?

He'll probably be out of the league in a couple of year for neck issues.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

This game shows off his ability to diagnose/sift through traffic in tight quarters to find the ball. There's some rough plays in there also but there are some really good examples there of him patiently diagnosing, working through traffic and finding the ball for short or no gains.

I really wish there was a cut-up of the MWC championship game vs. Fresno St., it was arguably his best game of the year but it's only on YouTube as a full game. I watched the whole thing, at least when Boise was on defense, and he was really excellent.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Why does he wear that big neck brace?

He'll probably be out of the league in a couple of year for neck issues.
If there were issues with a player's neck, dont you think that would be widely publicized?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft/rounds

Pre-Draft Analysis

Vander Esch, a former walk-on and one-year starter, is a sideline-to-sideline run defender with a rare combo of size, length (33 7/8-inch arms) and athletic ability. He needs to improve at getting off blocks, but he has the instincts and initial quickness to beat blockers to the point of attack and could develop into a Pro Bowler in time.

Post-Draft Analysis

Jaylon Smith made a remarkable return from a knee injury/nerve damage last season, but Sean Lee will be 32 in July and has missed at least five games in four of the past six years. Vander Esch is a reach at No. 19, especially with Alabama's Rashaan Evans still on the board. However, Vander Esch's range as a run defender and in coverage makes him a good fit for defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli's scheme.

:skurred

Smitty

DCC 4Life
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/04/27/cowboys-experts-graded-leighton-vander-esch-pick

With the Dallas Cowboys' first NFL draft pick in, it's time analyze how smart the selection was.

Here's a look at how our Cowboys insiders grade the Leighton Vander Esch selection.

Tim Cowlishaw: C

There was no real secret that the Cowboys liked Florida State FS Derwin James, ranked by some as the top player in the draft. They thought they couldn't get close to him but he slid all the way to 17 -- two spots ahead of Dallas -- before being taken by Chargers. It's up to Vander Esch to prove they got a linebacker who will have the same impact over time as James.

Brandon George: C-minus

The Cowboys believe Leighton Vander Esch has unique size (6-4, 250) and coverage ability. He's a Sean Lee starter kit because he can play sideline to sideline but doesn't finish tackles as strong. Will McClay believes he'll come in and create turnovers right away. But he was only a one-year starter at Boise State, a former walk-on after playing 8-man football in high school. The Cowboys have to hope he's not another Bobby Carpenter-like bust. The Cowboys took him with Alabama linebacker Rashaan Evans still available and also without any receivers having gone off the board.

Jon Machota: B-minus

It's a solid pick that fills a need. I don't see Leighton Vander Esch making the same impact as Derwin James, though. Once the Florida State safety made it past 14, I thought it was worth it to trade up. I'm not sure Vander Esch has Pro Bowl potential. I feel strongly that James does.

David Moore: B-minus

You can question the Cowboys' decision not to pursue safety Derwin James as he unexpectedly drifted in their direction, but not their resolve. This club is sold on Leighton Vander Esch's potential and didn't waver. He may not start immediately but should see plenty of playing time.

Kevin Sherrington: B

It feels a little like a make-up call for Jaylon Smith. Also replacing a guy they got in the fourth round. And if they hadn't beaten Philly in the finale, they could have had Derwin James. Having said all that, he certainly answers a need.

------------------------------------------------

Ruh-roh.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Bob Sturm said he liked Evans more, too.

Not that I think Sturm is some super-guru. I think a lot of his opinions are questionable.

Cotton

Staff member
http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft/rounds

Pre-Draft Analysis

Vander Esch, a former walk-on and one-year starter, is a sideline-to-sideline run defender with a rare combo of size, length (33 7/8-inch arms) and athletic ability. He needs to improve at getting off blocks, but he has the instincts and initial quickness to beat blockers to the point of attack and could develop into a Pro Bowler in time.

Post-Draft Analysis

Jaylon Smith made a remarkable return from a knee injury/nerve damage last season, but Sean Lee will be 32 in July and has missed at least five games in four of the past six years. Vander Esch is a reach at No. 19, especially with Alabama's Rashaan Evans still on the board. However, Vander Esch's range as a run defender and in coverage makes him a good fit for defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli's scheme.

:skurred
I would take LVE 10 times in a row over Evans.

Cotton

Staff member
It was reported that many teams had removed him from their draft boards.
I’d like to see those reports. I haven’t seen anything of the nature.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I’d like to see those reports. I haven’t seen anything of the nature.
If he were really Urlacher 2.0 wouldn't he have gone much higher.

If he is so good, why was he available?

I'm guessing he is that good, but damaged goods.

Cotton

Staff member
If he were really Urlacher 2.0 wouldn't he have gone much higher.

If he is so good, why was he available?

I'm guessing he is that good, but damaged goods.
So, you don’t have links to the reports?

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Urlacher:....................LVE:
40: 4.57..................40: 4.65
20: 2.67..................20: 2.69
10: 1.62..................10: 1.56
20 SS: 4.18.............20 SS: 4.15
3 Cone: 6.94............3 Cone: 6.88
Vert: 34..................Vert: 39.5
Broad: 122..............Broad: 124
Bench: 27...............Bench: 20

Top Bottom