boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys Officials Assess Their Roster Heading Into Thursday’s NFL Draft
Tuesday, April 24, 2018 3:54 PM CDT

By David Helman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
@HelmanDC

FRISCO, Texas – The Cowboys aren’t about to give away their draft secrets, but they provided some hints, at the very least, on Tuesday afternoon.
With about 48 hours until the 2018 NFL Draft kicks off at AT&T Stadium, roughly 40 miles away from their team facility, Cowboys executives met with reporters to discuss the finer points of their thought process. Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones, flanked by team executive vice president Stephen Jones and head coach Jason Garrett, took questions for 40 minutes on the state of their team heading into one of the biggest weekends of the year.
Here are some of the highlights from the proceedings:

Stephen Jones, on how the Cowboys view their offensive line going into the draft:

“I think at the end of the day, we're fortunate that La'el Collins is versatile. That's another huge asset for him in terms of him as a player, there's actually a school of thought that it's kind of a flip of the coin. He can be a hell of a left guard for us or a hell of a right tackle. Getting [Cameron] Fleming in here from New England obviously made a big difference, we feel like he's a much better tackle than guard. And I really think he's upgraded our offensive line compared to where we were last year with our top five guys. He does allow us -- really both players ... We think Fleming could go left or right tackle and La'el has that ability to play left guard and right tackle, so that we can kind of sit there and pick who's the best player.”

on bolstering the linebacker corps for 2018:
“Well, I think we did a little bit there with Joe Thomas to help us out. But at the end of the day one of the things I’m really optimistic about is I think Jaylon [Smith] is going to take another step. He had to focus on playing the game last year. Put the rehab aside for the moment as he should and he went to work, tried to help us win football games and did an unbelievable job. He’s going to take a big step this year. He already is, and I think he’s going to improve tremendously. I think he’s going to do an outstanding job for us.

on the possibility of adding to the linebacker corps in the draft:
“At the same time, we also know we could add a couple of players here in the draft. We have 10 draft picks and certainly look to do something there if the right guy is sitting there. We made moves we feel good about. We feel like we could go to work and put the right guys out there and get the job done. But the great news is we do have 10 draft picks and I do think obviously as we work our way through the draft, I don’t know what level will be taken, but there are some really good linebackers out there throughout the draft that I think could step in and contribute quickly whether that’s in a backup role, a special teams, but would be linebackers you’d love to have on your football team.”

Jerry Jones, on whether the Cowboys are better today than they were at the end of the 2017 season:

“Yes, I think we are if for no other reason than for we’ve got clarity with our personnel. We will have clarity, even more clarity after this draft. But we’ve got clarity. We have to recognize that we’re not going to have a Dez [Bryant]. We have to recognize that we’re not going to have [Anthony] Hitchens. Whether we address it in this draft, or whether we address it from within, we’ve got more clarity as to how to play against Carolina and opening up against them and win the game.”

on whether he intends to use the opportunity as the host of the NFL draft to “make a splash” this weekend:
“Oh, I would not in anyway impugn the integrity of our decision-making in the draft room. I’m not throwing a helicopter in the middle of it. So, having said that, the answer is that we’ll be pure to our main duty out here over these next few days and that is trying to do the best we can do to get some players on this team that can help us win.”

Stephen Jones, on whether tight end is a priority in this draft:

“As long as Jason Witten wants to play football, I’m betting on Jason. But I think more than that, I think some guys are getting overlooked on this football team. You talk about [Blake] Jarwin, you talk about [Geoff] Swaim. Those are some players that we really have high opinions of. It’s real easy to get lost in the shuffle when you’re playing behind a Hall of Famer like Jason Witten who never wants to come off the field. That’s difficult. When you see them in practice every day, obviously you add Rico [Gathers] to that mix, and we did have [James] Hanna retire. We feel real positive about that spot.”

on the thought of trading for a veteran player during the draft:
“As long as the player is under contract. You can’t trade for a player who’s not under contract. So if he’s just been tendered and hasn’t signed his tender, they’d have to sign him up under the tender to trade for a player.”

on trading for a veteran player who wants a new contract:
“Then you’re taking your risk if you decide to trade for that guy, then you’re going to be dealing with him. Then it’s your decision whether you want to extend him or you want to push the issue and see if he’ll play football under his current contract. You’ll figure all of that in as to whether you make that trade or not.”

on assessing the safety position heading into the draft:
“Most of what we saw out there [in free agency] was not a complement to the group that we had — and I think that is a compliment to our group. We’ve got a good group of corners out there. Some of them are very versatile — I mentioned to you the names. And I think it’s a great compliment to Xavier [Woods]. Even though he had some injury situations he dealt with at the beginning of the year, he did something that’s very important, which is make plays on the ball. We knew he did that in college, and he took that to our level and made plays on the ball. He’s certainly a guy that we feel very comfortable with. Now, you know, we’ve got 10 draft picks. Safety, just as I mentioned linebacker, is a place, at some point in the draft, I could see us beefing that up a little bit back there and seeing if we can create some competition.”

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Clarity, Comfortable, Complement. The Jerry Jones 3 C’s of saying we’re fucked again.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
boozeman said:
“At the same time, we also know we could add a couple of players here in the draft. We have 10 draft picks and certainly look to do something there if the right guy is sitting there. We made moves we feel good about. We feel like we could go to work and put the right guys out there and get the job done. But the great news is we do have 10 draft picks and I do think obviously as we work our way through the draft, I don’t know what level will be taken, but there are some really good linebackers out there throughout the draft that I think could step in and contribute quickly whether that’s in a backup role, a special teams, but would be linebackers you’d love to have on your football team.”
I disagree. I think this is a very poor LBer draft after the first 2.

Cotton

Staff member
boozeman said:
“As long as Jason Witten wants to play football, I’m betting on Jason. But I think more than that, I think some guys are getting overlooked on this football team. You talk about [Blake] Jarwin, you talk about [Geoff] Swaim. Those are some players that we really have high opinions of. It’s real easy to get lost in the shuffle when you’re playing behind a Hall of Famer like Jason Witten who never wants to come off the field. That’s difficult. When you see them in practice every day, obviously you add Rico [Gathers] to that mix, and we did have [James] Hanna retire. We feel real positive about that spot.”
It should not be his damn choice. Inmates/Asylum/Racist

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I disagree. I think this is a very poor LBer draft after the first 2.
I don't agree with this at all. I assume you are meaning the first two are Tremaine Edmunds and Roquan Smith? After that, I would love to have somebody like LVE, Josey Jewell, Rashaan Evans, Darius Leonard, or Shaquem Griffin. And I'm sure there are more than that, but those are just the guys that come to mind right now.

Any one of the guys mentioned above would step right in as one of our top 2 or three LBers the moment they were drafted.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't agree with this at all. I assume you are meaning the first two are Tremaine Edmunds and Roquan Smith? After that, I would love to have somebody like LVE, Josey Jewell, Rashaan Evans, Darius Leonard, or Shaquem Griffin. And I'm sure there are more than that, but those are just the guys that come to mind right now.

Any one of the guys mentioned above would step right in as one of our top 2 or three LBers the moment they were drafted.
I agree that there are a couple that can be had later. I do not want Evans. Darius Would be great in the third, but the best of all of those is Jewell in the second. I will admit, I do not Griffin in the 4th if he can be had there. Besides that, there isn't a lot there in this draft.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I agree that there are a couple that can be had later. I do not want Evans. Darius Would be great in the third, but the best of all of those is Jewell in the second. I will admit, I do not Griffin in the 4th if he can be had there. Besides that, there isn't a lot there in this draft.
Agree to disagree. I think the LB depth in this draft is a lot better than you think.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
If we're gonna draft 2 LBers, I would love Griffin as the second one. But yeah, 4th.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I like Leonardr in the 3rd way better than Jewell in the 2nd.

Cotton

Staff member
I like Leonardr in the 3rd way better than Jewell in the 2nd.
I think Jewell is being underrated, but I might be wrong. He is definitely projected in the 3-4 range.

Cotton

Staff member
No, but please tell :unsure
Bob McNair’s use of “inmates” created an issue at recent meeting
Posted by Mike Florio on October 27, 2017, 11:08 AM EDT

The recent ownership meetings, which became dominated by the anthem controversy, included plenty of interesting and compelling moments. Arguably the most inflammatory moment came when, according to Seth Wickersham and Don Van Natta. Jr. of ESPN.com, Texans owner Bob McNair used a common figure of speech when referring to the power the players have acquired via the question of whether they’ll stand for the national anthem.

“We can’t have the inmates running the prison,” McNair said.

The remark came during an ownership-only session, without current players present. A former player, NFL executive V.P. of football operations Troy Vincent, reportedly took issue with the remark. He explained during the meeting that, even though he had been called “every name in the book” during his playing career, not once did he feel like an “inmate.”

Via the report, Vincent and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones then engaged in a “sharp but quick back-and-forth,” as Jones pointed out that it was the league’s owners who built the business and it is the league’s owners who will decide what to do about the situation. McNair would later apologize to Vincent, explaining (per the report) that McNair didn’t mean his words to be taken literally.

While McNair’s apology was warranted, “inmates running the asylum” is a common reference to situations where leadership is surrendered to those supposedly being led. Still, the choice of words invites the same kind of criticism that literal interpretation of the phrase “son of a bitch” sparked after President Trump used that term in reference to players who fail to stand for the anthem.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The NFL is like national politics at this point. Can’t sneeze without posturing, lawyers, advocates, or some other bullshit not related to actual football stirring up.

Vincent’s job is to oppose and remain antagonistic against the owners at this point in any capacity he can imagine.

Gets fucking old fucking fast.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Jewell is being underrated, but I might be wrong. He is definitely projected in the 3-4 range.
Jewell I've seen as a second round pick or maybe early third. That's where he should go in my opinion. If he goes fourth I'd say he is a steal but I don't see that happening.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Jewell does not strike me as Sean Lee part 2, he’s more like Anthony Hitchens part 2. He’s ok. Probably relatively NFL ready.

But I don’t know if he’s anything special as an NFL starter.

I’d kind of rather Darius Leonard.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Jewell does not strike me as Sean Lee part 2, he’s more like Anthony Hitchens part 2. He’s ok. Probably relatively NFL ready.

But I don’t know if he’s anything special as an NFL starter.

I’d kind of rather Darius Leonard.
It's actually not a terrible comparison. Lee was an inch taller and a few pounds heavier. Lee 4.71, Jewell 4.68 in the 40. All those TFLs in college is super encouraging.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/sean-lee?id=496937

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/josey-jewell?id=32462018-0002-5598-194c-8a71e8b56260

Doing this research makes me feel better about the player.

Moore / Jewell / Moore anyone?

Top Bottom