Dallas - Patriots Trade

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Would do the following?

Trade to the Patriots our 19 (1st), 50 (2nd), 116 (4th), and 171 (5th) for their 23rd (1st) and 31st (1st)?

Likely we could land 2 of Hernandez, DJ Moore, Connor Williams, Evans, LVE (maybe), Courtland Sutton,

The trade value is dead on though we might be able to extract a little more if they are moving up for Lamar Jackson. Of course it's not like they are QB desperate.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would do the following?

Trade to the Patriots our 19 (1st), 50 (2nd), 116 (4th), and 171 (5th) for their 23rd (1st) and 31st (1st)?

Likely we could land 2 of Hernandez, DJ Moore, Connor Williams, Evans, LVE (maybe), Courtland Sutton,

The trade value is dead on though we might be able to extract a little more if they are moving up for Lamar Jackson. Of course it's not like they are QB desperate.
I would but I doubt the Patriots would. You're only moving down 4 spots.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I would but I doubt the Patriots would. You're only moving down 4 spots.
They get a haul of picks. They would have a better 1st, 3 2nds, a 4th (which they lack), and a 5th (which they lack). If they really want Lamar Jackson, it would make sense. Personally I don't know why anyone would really want Lamar but whatevs.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't think the top end talent is worth that in this draft. I sit still and let the draft come to me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They get a haul of picks. They would have a better 1st, 3 2nds, a 4th (which they lack), and a 5th (which they lack). If they really want Lamar Jackson, it would make sense. Personally I don't know why anyone would really want Lamar but whatevs.
I mean if I can get LVE and Sutton and still have a third and fourth round pick? I'm down for that. Plus you get that fifth year option on both guys.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, hell no. At some point the picks themselves are worth more than the chart says.

If they want 19, I’ll take 31 and 43.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
In this scenario we're moving down only 4 spots in the 1st and giving up a mid-4th and nearly the last pick in the 5th to move up 19 spots from mid-2nd to late-1st. Anybody turning that down should have their heads checked unless someone like James falls to 19.

Chances are that we'll get substantially the same caliber of player at 23 as we would at 19, if not the exact same player, and then at that point you're only giving up a mid-4th and basically the last pick of the 5th to move up 19 spots into the late 1st.

Effectively this would be like trading that mid-4th and late-5th to move up from 50 to 31, which is obviously a steal.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
In this scenario we're moving down only 4 spots in the 1st and giving up a mid-4th and nearly the last pick in the 5th to move up 19 spots from mid-2nd to late-1st. Anybody turning that down should have their heads checked unless someone like James falls to 19.

Chances are that we'll get substantially the same caliber of player at 23 as we would at 19, if not the exact same player, and then at that point you're only giving up a mid-4th and basically the last pick of the 5th to move up 19 spots into the late 1st.

Effectively this would be like trading that mid-4th and late-5th to move up from 50 to 31, which is obviously a steal.
Not just no but hell no.

Especially in our circumstances where our depth is so questionable. And rounds 2-4 of this draft look pretty good.

Give up 4 picks to get back two? Uh no. No way.

Genghis Khan

Quote from Peter King:

There will be some trades in this draft that might seem one-sided. Several team officials told me in the past few days that they value Day 2 picks (rounds two and three) so highly that they’d be willing to take slightly less in compensation to move down. Where could this come into play? Cleveland (four), Indianapolis (six), Baltimore (16), Seattle (18), New England (23, 31), New Orleans (27), Philadelphia (32). “This is not your typical draft,” said one veteran club official Sunday. “The second, third and even fourth rounds are gold. You can take less than the trade-value chart says and still make a very good trade if you get multiple picks in those rounds.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah I agree with you. These people are crazy.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Not just no but hell no.

Especially in our circumstances where our depth is so questionable. And rounds 2-4 of this draft look pretty good.

Give up 4 picks to get back two? Uh no. No way.
The only picks you're giving up to move from 50 to 31 are a mid-4th and a pick that is more or less an early 6th given that it is a 5th round compensatory pick in the last 4-5 picks of the round.

Aside from moving down from 19 to 23, which is negligible.

We aren't really giving up a 2nd round pick because we're just moving up from that spot to 31.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only picks you're giving up to move from 50 to 31 are a mid-4th and a pick that is more or less an early 6th given that it is a 5th round compensatory pick in the last 4-5 picks of the round.

Aside from moving down from 19 to 23, which is negligible. What if it allows you to get Moore and LVE. That would be insane.

We aren't really giving up a 2nd round pick because we're just moving up from that spot to 31.
Yep you're talking a couple day 3 picks.

Genghis Khan

Aside from moving down from 19 to 23, which is negligible.

We are giving up 4 picks and only adding two. I have zero interest in that.

I get that we're only giving up a 4th and essentially a sixth, but they're still too valuable to me.

I mean, our starting QB was essentially a fifth and like half our secondary we're 6th rounders so I wouldn't look at them as throwaways.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kavon Frazier, Dak Prescott, Xavier Woods, Anthony Brown, Charles Tapper, Ryan Switzer.

All day 3 picks.
Sure and there is a long list of guys who were totally worthless. We have what 7 picks on day 2? I doubt all 10 draft picks we have would make the roster. So it's ok to trade a couple of those later picks away. This is a pretty low cost move to get a second first rounder.

Genghis Khan

Sure and there is a long list of guys who were totally worthless. We have what 7 picks on day 2? I doubt all 10 draft picks we have would make the roster. So it's ok to trade a couple of those later picks away. This is a pretty low cost move to get a second first rounder.
Sure but by that logic there's also a pretty lengthy list of 1st and 2nd rounders who were totally worthless.

That's why it's usually a better strategy to attack the draft with volume. Especially since we do have quite a bit of holes to fill.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sure but by that logic there's also a pretty lengthy list of 1st and 2nd rounders who were totally worthless.

That's why it's usually a better strategy to attack the draft with volume. Especially since we do have quite a bit of holes to fill.
Yeah I love volume. Hell you've probably read about me bitching that no way in hell should we be trading up in the first round at the cost of a third round pick or more. Especially because I feel like there is always good talent in the fourth and fifth round (Not that Dallas always picks those guys) but there are always guys I really want still around.

I mean I'd rather just trade down from 19 and stockpile additional picks. Give me more picks in the first two days and I'd be thrilled. But I can certainly see the benefits of getting two first round picks.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I guess to make it concrete, which draft do you like better:
LB LEIGHTON VANDER ESCH
WR ANTHONY MILLER
S TRAVARIOUS MOORE
DT BREELAND SPEAKS
G COLE MADISON
RB ITO SMITH
T DESMOND HARRISON
TE DURHAM SMYTHE
LB SKAI MOORE
DE JUSTIN LAWLER

or

LB LEIGHTON VANDER ESCH
WR DJ MOORE
S TRAVARIOUS MOORE
RB ITO SMITH
T DESMOND HARRISON
TE DURHAM SMYTHE
LB SKAI MOORE
DE JUSTIN LAWLER

Obviously this is a lot of guessing so perhaps it's Evans and Sutton or heck Moore and Hernandez or so on but we should get two starters with those first two picks no question.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess to make it concrete, which draft do you like better:
LB LEIGHTON VANDER ESCH
WR ANTHONY MILLER
S TRAVARIOUS MOORE
DT BREELAND SPEAKS
G COLE MADISON
RB ITO SMITH
T DESMOND HARRISON
TE DURHAM SMYTHE
LB SKAI MOORE
DE JUSTIN LAWLER

or

LB LEIGHTON VANDER ESCH
WR DJ MOORE
S TRAVARIOUS MOORE
RB ITO SMITH
T DESMOND HARRISON
TE DURHAM SMYTHE
LB SKAI MOORE
DE JUSTIN LAWLER

Obviously this is a lot of guessing so perhaps it's Evans and Sutton or heck Moore and Hernandez or so on but we should get two starters with those first two picks no question.
Yeah I like the second one more. But I really like Moore and I'm not that high on Miller. I'm not a big Speaks guys either.

Top Bottom