Rapoport: Cowboys To Pick Up Option On Byron Jones

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
First my Thunder get curb stomped now I wake up to see this news.

This just ain't my day.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol

Um what? Why?

Just in case he somehow finds a way to be useful this year? Jesus that is fully guaranteed too.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
So we're telling him that he doesn't have to prove anything. Swell.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Why would he have to prove himself? He was a 1st round pick and had a high SPARQ score and stuff. :picard

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I just don't get it. We are moving him to corner not even knowing if he can be a NFL starting corner and we want to pay him like one anyway? It's madness.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Yeah I just don't get it. We are moving him to corner not even knowing if he can be a NFL starting corner and we want to pay him like one anyway? It's madness.
His main skill is locking up elite tight ends man to man. He's actually hella-good at it. There's a place for a guy like that on a team but $6 million seems like a king's ransom for that. I guess they are projecting that he can be a pretty good corner but he's never really shown that. However, I suspect if he hits free agency next year someone will throw a Brinks Truck at him so there's that...

vince

Not So New Member
His main skill is locking up elite tight ends man to man. He's actually hella-good at it. There's a place for a guy like that on a team but $6 million seems like a king's ransom for that. I guess they are projecting that he can be a pretty good corner but he's never really shown that. However, I suspect if he hits free agency next year someone will throw a Brinks Truck at him so there's that...
Kris Richard will turn him into a stud.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
He runs fast and jumps height!

SPARQ score, Baby.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I thought the 5th year option for him would be around 9-10 million, for just a little over 6 I don't mind, and it's only guaranteed for injury.

Given how inflated salaries are nowadays 6 million is the going rate for an average starter/top-level 5th or 6th DB. For reference you got Morris Claiborne and Brandon Carr out here making about 7 a year. A guy like Nevin Lawson, who is a borderline starter type at CB, got 2 years/9.2 million from Detroit even after playing worse in 2017 than 2016.

A 1 year, 6 million deal that is only guaranteed for injury is very low-risk for a player like Jones.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I thought the 5th year option for him would be around 9-10 million, for just a little over 6 I don't mind, and it's only guaranteed for injury.

Given how inflated salaries are nowadays 6 million is the going rate for an average starter/top-level 5th or 6th DB. For reference you got Morris Claiborne and Brandon Carr out here making about 7 a year. A guy like Nevin Lawson, who is a borderline starter type at CB, got 2 years/9.2 million from Detroit even after playing worse in 2017 than 2016.

A 1 year, 6 million deal that is only guaranteed for injury is very low-risk for a player like Jones.
Agreed, this is no big deal. It's not long term.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

So if we cut him after this season we owe him nothing? For some reason I thought it was fully guaranteed but sounds like I was wrong.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Thank you. With this being the case there is very little reason to not excersize the option year. Unless a player isn't on your roster
It sounds like they'd have to cut him before March 2019 since that's when the league year begins, but that gives them plenty of time if they feel they have to do that. Even if he has another season similar to his past 3 I think roughly 6 million is a fair price for a player of his caliber.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I'm on the fence about it but the guy has been bounced between positions since he was drafted. He's basically an athlete playing football and he still needs to get a handle on the football part, IMO.

If he's playing as a starting NFL CB, the salary isn't ridiculous. *If* he plays well there, it's completely worth it.

Top Bottom