Cowboys safety Barry Church set to return to practice Sunday

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cowboys safety Barry Church set to return to practice Sunday
1:25 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

ARLINGTON, Texas -- When the Dallas Cowboys return to practice Sunday, safety Barry Church will be there.

“I’ll be ready,” said Church, who has missed the last four games with a fractured right forearm. “We got the cast made and everything. It’s an on-and-off thing, so I’ll be ready to go.”

Church suffered the injury Oct. 30 against the Philadelphia Eagles and underwent surgery eight days later in which he had a plate inserted into his arm. Former Cowboys safeties Darren Woodson and Roy Williams had similar surgeries in the past and were able to return in the same season.

Church has gone through resistance training the last two weeks to step up his conditioning work.

Entering Thursday’s game against the Washington Redskins, Church remained second on the team in tackles with 64, according to the coaches’ tallies. He also leads the Cowboys in interceptions with two and has forced a fumble.

“That’ll be great,” Cowboys cornerback Brandon Carr said of Church’s return. “He makes us go in the back end. We’ve been missing him for a few weeks. He’s definitely a ball guy. He’s a guy that can make hits and he’s a sure tackler, so we’re going to look forward to getting him back healthy. He gives us a some spark back there.”

The Cowboys have not forced a turnover in Church’s absence.

“He’s an unbelievable player,” linebacker Sean Lee said. “He’s made plays for us throughout his entire career. He’s a leader. He’s a captain, so that’ll be huge for us.”

The timing might be good for another reason. Church’s replacement, J.J. Wilcox, was knocked out of the Redskins game with a thigh bruise. While there is optimism he'll be able to play against the Minnesota Vikings next Thursday, Wilcox was limping badly Thursday night.

“Hopefully he’ll be able to contribute as well,” Church said. “We need all of our parts firing to make this last stretch run. I can’t wait to get back on the field. It’s been too long.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This would really be huge for us. It would allow Wilcox and Byron Jones to get back to there normal roles. We can use Jones to shutdown TEs again and allow Wilcox to sort of be that deep safety again. Not to mention just his experience on getting everyone in the right position could be huge. Honestly, as long as their is no risk to breaking the bone again, I see no reason why he can't play. His legs are still good which is what is most important.

townsend

Banned
This would really be huge for us. It would allow Wilcox and Byron Jones to get back to there normal roles. We can use Jones to shutdown TEs again and allow Wilcox to sort of be that deep safety again. Not to mention just his experience on getting everyone in the right position could be huge. Honestly, as long as their is no risk to breaking the bone again, I see no reason why he can't play. His legs are still good which is what is most important.
Is Wilcox going to make it back? I thought he got hurt yesterday.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well that'll help. They haven't even been close to a turnover.
Closest against the Skins was the Reed non catch. And that wasn't even that close. Our DBs got their hands on some balls but none really tried to catch it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

dallen

Senior Tech
One injury required surgery, this one didn't, so while there may be some correlation they obviously aren't the same injury.
Romo's osteoporosis notwithstanding, bones generally heal stronger after a break

Top Bottom