Report: Cowboys agree to terms with defensive end Kony Ealy on one-year deal

lostxn

DCC 4Life

The more pass rushers, the better for the Cowboys.
By RJ Ochoa@rjochoa Apr 5, 2018, 6:24pm CDT

Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports
The Dallas Cowboys have a sneaky line of solid depth when it comes to their defensive ends (especially if they can get anything out of Randy Gregory). That unit was bolstered a bit on Thursday when word broke that they’ve agreed to terms with Kony Ealy on a one-year deal.

The affinity Dallas has for Kony Ealy, and has had, has been chronicled many times. They liked him in 2014, and they put in an unsuccessful claim for him back in August.

Perhaps the third time really is the charm, though. Ealy isn’t necessarily going to be the difference in winning or losing a Super Bowl, but he did play well in the game of all games three seasons ago. He’s a player that has shown promise before. It’s a one-year deal so the Cowboys are merely renting for a season before deciding whether to truly buy.

Many people have clamored for the Cowboys to make this or that move, but more than anything people want to see depth. A lack of depth is what crippled the team in 2017, and Kony Ealy is a nice piece of line of depth behind some defensive ends we’re at a level of trust with.

Welcome to the Cowboys, Kony Ealy. That #94 thing isn’t going to work, though.

Last edited:

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Well, he's a Cowboy now so I'll root for him to get his career going.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is to hoping Marinelli has a little magic left. I mean he has gotten some decent production from scrub DEs in the past.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He's 6-4, 275 with 34+ inch arms, and in his first 3 years in Carolina he had 4/5/5 sacks before bouncing around last year.

He'll probably never reach his full potential but Marinelli can probably coax some plays out of him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's 6-4, 275 with 34+ inch arms, and in his first 3 years in Carolina he had 4/5/5 sacks before bouncing around last year.

He'll probably never reach his full potential but Marinelli can probably coax some plays out of him.
I'm sure Marinelli could get 5 sacks out of him. He's some insurance for Taco I'm guessing.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm sure Marinelli could get 5 sacks out of him. He's some insurance for Taco I'm guessing.
Could also be an eventual replacement for Crawford if he plays well this year. Crawford will turn 30 during the 2019 season and we'll save 6 million against the cap cutting him next offseason, and he is 100% going to be gone by the 2020 offseason.

If Charlton takes a step forward and Ealy gives us decent production I wouldn't be surprised to see Crawford gone this time next year, and then Dak will be up for a contract going into the 2020 offseason at which point Crawford is almost a lock to be released.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Could also be an eventual replacement for Crawford if he plays well this year. Crawford will turn 30 during the 2019 season and we'll save 6 million against the cap cutting him next offseason, and he is 100% going to be gone by the 2020 offseason.

If Charlton takes a step forward and Ealy gives us decent production I wouldn't be surprised to see Crawford gone this time next year, and then Dak will be up for a contract going into the 2020 offseason at which point Crawford is almost a lock to be released.
He’s insurance and will have every chance to get his career back on track.

But it something’s got to be off about him for the Pats to have flat out cut him.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Cowboys agree to terms with former Jets DE Kony Ealy

By Nick Shook
Around The NFL Writer

It took more than seven months, but Kony Ealy is about to become a Dallas Cowboy.

The defensive end agreed to terms with the Cowboys on Thursday, the team announced.

Ealy spent the 2017 season with the New York Jets, who claimed him off waivers after the New England Patriots cut him loose in late August. New England had acquired the former second-round pick from the Carolina Panthers in an offseason trade in 2017, but coach Bill Belichick told reporters upon Ealy's release the pairing just "didn't work out."

Ealy recorded 14 tackles, one sack and one interception in his lone season with the Jets. Had New York not placed a claim on the edge rusher, he could have ended up in Dallas, which also placed a claim on him. Due to the waiver order at the time, the Jets were awarded Ealy.

Free to determine his next destination, Ealy chose Dallas over a return to Todd Bowles' team. He'll instead join a unit that includes Demarcus Lawrence, Tyrone Crawford, David Irving and 2017 first-round pick Taco Charlton. What was once a serious need for the Cowboys has started to look more like a potential strength, should Charlton improve in year two and Ealy play more like his Carolina form than New York.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
27 this year and a career high of 5 sacks. I don't mind taking a flyer on a talented player who probably comes pretty cheap, but I doubt this moves the needle much.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Kinda what I was thinking, but hey as long as he comes cheap why not take a flyer.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
27 this year and a career high of 5 sacks. I don't mind taking a flyer on a talented player who probably comes pretty cheap, but I doubt this moves the needle much.
Yeah I don't think anyone is viewing it a needle mover. At most he provides some depth. But I think our defensive scheme is a good fit for him. He won't be asked to drop in coverage and all the crazy stuff the Patriots ask of their players. Here he will be strictly a defensive lineman. Asked to rush the passer and stop the run. And honestly our depth at DE sort of sucks unless Gregory actually pulls his shit together this season and can provide that for us. A lot more like the Panthers were using him but at a cheap price.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I watched him against Atlanta, which is one of the games where he received the most extensive playing time, and his biggest issue seems to be his hand use and the fact that he often gives up/loses his chest. He's not very explosive and doesn't bring much speed off the edge but he has enough burst to cause problems when combined with his size/power in a rotational role if he can fix his hand use and use his length to his advantage.

Top Bottom