Sporting News Mock with Calvin Ridley Interview

lostxn

DCC 4Life
NFL Mock Draft 2018: Patriots, Bills, Jaguars land right QBs
April 4, 2018 9:37am EDT

One NFL mock draft is never good enough, especially if it comes before free agency. While the results and rumors from the NFL Combine provided a little more clarity on the 2018 NFL Draft board, now that teams have made their biggest moves to address needs in March, it's a little easier to know what they might be thinking for late April.

Just like in free agency, the tone of the NFL Draft will be set by how several teams choose to address quarterback. Since the first mock, there also have been two trades — Bills-Bengals, Jets-Colts — that will have big ripple effects for the top dozen picks.

Although there will be more such deals to come, and it's not a mock draft without taking those into account, here's going through the first round as it stands now.

NFL DRAFT BIG BOARD:
Top 50 players in 2018 class

NFL Mock Draft 2018
1. Cleveland Browns: Sam Darnold, QB, USC
The Browns traded for Tyrod Taylor as their best stopgap in years, but the team also will go after its long-term franchise solution in advance of Taylor becoming a 29-year-old free agent in 2019. Although Darnold has his flaws like every talented QB in this rich class, he's the most well-rounded prospect at the position with his arm, accuracy and athleticism.

2. New York Giants: Bradley Chubb, DE, N.C. State
The Giants should be listening to all trade offers from teams that want to jump the Jets to get their preferred QB, but in the wake of the Jason Pierre-Paul trade, their pass rush becomes even more of a glaring weakness. Chubb would thrive in New York's new defense as a sack artist with a variety of moves; the next Chandler Jones for coordinator James Bettcher.

3. New York Jets (from Colts): Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
The Jets' move to No. 3 cost them a lot, so let's hope they feel good about the quarterback they want to get. Rosen proved at the Combine he can be the face of a big-market franchise to go along with his immense potential as a pocket passer.

4. Cleveland Browns (from Texans): Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
Saquon Barkley will be tempting, but with Carlos Hyde and Duke Johnson Jr. in the fold, the Browns should think more about continuing their overhaul of the defensive backfield, instead. Jamar Taylor is a rising young corner, but free-agent addition T.J. Carrie is better suited for the slot, Damarious Randall is tabbed for safety and Terrance Mitchell is a depth player. Fitzpatrick can start anywhere in the secondary and make plays from Day 1.

5. Denver Broncos: Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
The Broncos will think about quarterback, for sure, but Barkley would fill their more pressing offensive skill need and would be the best player available. Should a team such the Bills or Cardinals trade up ahead of them to draft Josh Allen, the Broncos won't force the issue with Baker Mayfield. Allen's availability would make things more tempting, but Barkley is the more logical choice as a player can help John Elway's team win now with Case Keenum getting a lot of money to start at QB the next two years.

6. Indianapolis Colts (from Jets): Quenton Nelson, G/OT, Notre Dame
The Colts knew the risk of trading back from No. 3 would be losing out on both Chubb and Barkley. Good thing they can stay in-state and look to South Bend for a stud at a position of need. It doesn't matter whether Nelson plays inside or outside — the Colts could use his athletic, mauling presence to boost both the running game and the Andrew Luck-led passing game.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
The Bucs went to work on their defensive line via free agency and trades (JPP, Vinny Curry, Beau Allen and Mitch Unrein), and they also got a much-needed rock for the middle of their offensive line (Ryan Jensen). But Tampa Bay's secondary still needs to be addressed after the re-signing of Brent Grimes for one year. Ward has shutdown potential as the best pure cover man in the draft, and he would represent the best player available, too.

8. Chicago Bears: Trumaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech
The Bears were wise to keep Vic Fangio as defensive coordinator and retain starting cornerbacks Prince Amukamara and Kyle Fuller. But at the second level of their base 3-4, they could use a dynamic, versatile playmaker who can thrive inside or outside. Fangio, formerly of San Francisco, can get his Patrick Willis/NaVorro Bowman-type here.

9. San Francisco 49ers: Derwin James, S, Florida State
Speaking of San Francisco, Robert Saleh, its defensive coordinator formerly of Seattle, can get his Earl Thomas-type here for the secondary. Richard Sherman and Akhello Witherspoon will hold down the corners, and Jacquiski Tartt has a bright future at one safety spot. James would allow Sherman to shepherd a sequel to the Legion of Boom for the Seahawks' biggest rivals.

10. Oakland Raiders: Roquan Smith, OLB, Georgia
The Raiders have been busy upgrading their defensive back seven with top free agents in linebacker Tahir Whitehead and cornerback Rashaan Melvin. Now defensive coordinator Paul Guenther, formerly of Cincinnati, can go after someone to flank Whitehead and Bruce Irvin on the weak side. Strictly playing-style speaking, Smith is a ferocious, relentless pursuit player in the vein of the Bengals' Vontaze Burfict.

11. Miami Dolphins: Vita Vea, DT, Washington
The Dolphins could go in many directions defensively, but the release of Ndamukong Suh makes tackle a monster need and lines up perfectly with Vea's value. He's an explosive player who can be a fixture in Miami's line rotation for years.

12. Buffalo Bills (from Bengals): Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
The Bills paying AJ McCarron backup-type money and trading into this spot while also holding the No. 22 overall pick suggests they are making a strong play for franchise quarterback early, either by trading up again or staying put. Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott from their days in Carolina should be well aware of how far a defense, a running game and a dual-threat QB can take a team. Mayfield has the "it" factor to finally give Buffalo a long-term solution.

13. Washington Redskins: James Daniels, C/G, Iowa
The Redskins' interior line took a hit with Spencer Long leaving in free agency (Jets), and guard Shawn Lauvao is unsigned. They should think defense with this pick if the player is right (Smith or Vea), but Daniels would be a fine player to line up in front of Alex Smith and also upgrade the run-blocking.

14. Green Bay Packers: Harold Landry, OLB, Boston College
The Packers must revamp their edge pass rush as they flip their base 3-4 defense to Mike Pettine's watch. Either Landry or Marcus Davenport makes sense for their scheme as freakish athletes who can wreak havoc in the backfield.

15. Arizona Cardinals: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
The Cardinals are a team to watch to make a move for a QB in the top five, but with the way things have shaken out in this mock, we still can attach them to Allen at No. 15. Sam Bradford and Mike Glennon were signed in free agency, but neither can be trusted as a solution beyond 2018. Allen needs a little time to hone his accuracy and mechanics to match his arm and athleticism. Arizona's situation allows for that.

16. Baltimore Ravens: Marcus Davenport, OLB, Texas-San Antonio
The Ravens will be thinking about wide receiver and offensive line with this pick, but like the Packers, they could use some rebooting in their 3-4 with Wink Martindale taking over the scheme and Terrell Suggs turning 36 in October. Davenport can turn into a Suggs-like dynamo while learning from the veteran in a situational role at first.

17. Los Angeles Chargers: Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama
The Chargers are nasty on the edges with Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram, but they could use more explosiveness inside to round out what has the makings of an elite defense in 2018. Payne has Bosa-like short-area speed and can add to opponents' backfield nightmares.

18. Seattle Seahawks: Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame
The Seahawks, even with all the changes to their defense, still need plenty of offensive line help as even more of the burden falls on Russell Wilson. McGlinchey dominated with Nelson in South Bend and would immediately become a rock of a right tackle in Seattle opposite Duane Brown. That would allow Germain Ifedi to slide back to guard, his better position.

19. Dallas Cowboys: Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
The Cowboys are keeping Dez Bryant, but they are lacking a true outside No. 2 who can do everything as a good-hands possession receiver. Ridley would be an upgrade over Terrance Williams and give Dak Prescott a new go-to guy.

20. Detroit Lions: Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
The Lions have vowed to field a more legitimate running game in 2018. That should also mean they're thinking about another offensive line upgrade with this pick, but it would not be shocking if Guice were to be selected this high. He would allow Detroit to officially give up on Ameer Abdullah and would be the workhorse ahead of new veteran backup LeGarrette Blount and pass-catching Theo Riddick.

21. Cincinnati Bengals (from Bills): Connor Williams, G/OT Texas
The Bengals last year paid the price after letting both Andrew Whitworth and Kevin Zeiter walk in free agency. The offensive line needs to be addressed further after the addition of Cordy Glenn for left tackle. Williams is viewed more as an inside blocker and could start right away at either guard spot.

22. Buffalo Bills (from Chiefs): Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise State
The Bills can continue their Panthers copycatting with this pick after getting their Heisman-winning QB earlier in the draft. McDermott needs someone to fly to the ball in the Luke Kuechly/Thomas Davis vein, as Lorenzo Alexander, who turns 35 in May, is their best linebacker.

23. New England Patriots (from Rams): Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA
The Patriots look good at four offensive line positions, but they currently have no good ways to replace left tackle Nate Solder at the most important position. They used a first-rounder on Solder as Matt Light's replacement seven years ago. Based on where they are picking now, a little earlier thanks to the surprise Brandin Cooks trade, Miller is a viable solution.

24. Carolina Panthers: Isaiah Wynn, G, Georgia
The Panthers also have an immediate need at cornerback following the Daryl Worley trade and the Bashaud Breeland free-agency fail. But Wynn and/or UTEP's Will Hernandez need to be play with this pick as potential replacements for left guard Andrew Norwell, who left for the Jaguars. Wynn is the better overall prospect.

25. Tennessee Titans: Sam Hubbard, DE/OLB, Ohio State
The Titans were busy in NFL free agency, adding running back Dion Lewis and cornerback Malcolm Butler. As yet another team handing its base 3-4 defense over to a new coordinator in Dean Pees, Tennessee with this pick has a chance to pile on the pass rush behind Derrick Morgan (29) and Brian Orakpo (31), both of whom become free agents in 2019. Hubbard has a nose for the QB no matter how he's aligned.

26. Atlanta Falcons: Taven Bryan, DT/DE, Florida
Dontari Poe is gone, and Athyba Rubin and Courtney Upshaw are not under contract, either. So the Falcons need a versatile, explosive option for their defensive line rotation to support tackle Grady Jarrett. Payne is the best fit for Atlanta should he slip this far, but Bryan would be a nice consolation prize.

27. New Orleans Saints: Arden Key, DE/OLB, LSU
The Saints were a good pass-rushing team last season in terms of sacks (42), but it was pretty much done by committee beyond the dominance of Cameron Jordan. They need another dangerous edge rusher and have looked closely at the versatile Key right in their own backyard. With Key available, he becomes an easy pick over a tight end.

28. Pittsburgh Steelers: Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama
The Steelers already put some of their Ryan Shazier fallback plan in place by signing former Colts and Bears inside linebacker Jon Bostic, but Evans would be a tremendous fit for their system. Like Shazier, Evans is a natural leader and a stat-sheet stuffer.

29. Jacksonville Jaguars: Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville
You can't spell Jacksonville without Jackson — not in this mock draft, at least. The Jaguars extended Blake Bortles, but even with the notable investment, he's signed through only 2020. Unless Jackson lands with an offense catered to his running ability in which he could start as a rookie, he will be best off in a developmental situation like this — a team that has the NFL's top rushing attack and an established West Coast passing game.

30. Minnesota Vikings: Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State
Kyle Rudolph continues to produce and has two years left on his contract, but he also is coming off ankle surgery and turns 29 in November. Minnesota lacks another athletic pass-catching option behind him, and new offensive coordinator John DeFilippo saw what the Zach Ertz-Trey Burton combination did for Philadelphia last season. Kirk Cousins already is loaded with targets on his new team, but in Washington, he thrived most when two tight ends (Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis) were key threats.

31. New England Patriots: Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State
There's some anticipation building that the Patriots, especially after the Cooks deal, might pull off another shocker and go after Odell Beckham Jr. But the extra first-rounder allows them to land Tom Brady's successor however they want, even over QB-needy rivals like the Jets and Bills, if necessary. For now, if New England stays at this pick, Rudolph is an ideal prospect.

32. Philadelphia Eagles: D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland
Moore has been getting more buzz as a first-round pick, and there's a chance his stock rises even higher. Moore could help Philadelphia replace Torrey Smith with his ability to make big plays both before and after the catch.

Here's the link for the interview with Ridley. Scroll down to our pick. A little boring but the kid seems like a team player, not a diva which is always nice.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-mock-draft-2018-first-round-latest-patriots-bills-jaguars-49ers-broncos/1uto1215wds7i1hsug6dmblwh7

Smitty

DCC 4Life
8-11 is the sweet spot. Can we get up there?

I think more QBs go in the top 12 though, than this mock projects.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
8-11 is the sweet spot. Can we get up there?

I think more QBs go in the top 12 though, than this mock projects.
For a second plus maybe a late mid round pick you can.

Cotton

Staff member
Not just a no but a hell no.
Agreed. I'm to the point now I don't want to trade up for anyone. There will be plenty of good value options at 19.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed. I'm to the point now I don't want to trade up for anyone. There will be plenty of good value options at 19.
I mean I may consider a fourth but lets face it, that's not moving us up anywhere in the first round. So yeah I'm against trading up. If anything I'd trade the other direction. This is not a great draft for elite talent.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
A receiver in the first or second means Dez is gone, right?

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
No WR in the 1st round, just no. I've heard there's plenty of decent ones to pick up in the 3rd or 4th. We can pick up some serious talent in the first two rounds in the way of guard, DT, LB, or secondary. I really think it would be beyond foolish to not take these opportunities.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No WR in the 1st round, just no. I've heard there's plenty of decent ones to pick up in the 3rd or 4th. We can pick up some serious talent in the first two rounds in the way of guard, DT, LB, or secondary. I really think it would be beyond foolish to not take these opportunities.
There are lots of WR's in this draft. That doesn't mean good ones will be sitting there still in round 4 but I honestly have no idea right now. It's one of those things where you just have to sort of feel how the draft is going. I mean last year I didn't expect Chido and Lewis to still be available when they were. It worked out. Maybe it will work out in this draft as well. But I don't think you can pass up the best player in the first round being a WR simply because you think there will be guys left in the third/fourth round. You really don't know if that will be the case at that point in the draft.

I mean I love the DT depth as well but I'm not passing up Vea for a guy in the fourth.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Bill Walsh always used to say that over the course of a season games are won and lost according to which team has the better pass rush in the fourth quarter.

So depth on the DL, in theory, equals a better pass rush. And a stellar OL stuffs a pass rush. Or, a stellar OL is opening holes in the fourth quarter so the pass rush is irrelevant.

IMHO, a WR in the first round has to be a gold plated game-breaker, game-changer. I think I'd rather have guys who block and tackle and rush the passer in the fourth quarter in games in late December.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
There are lots of WR's in this draft. That doesn't mean good ones will be sitting there still in round 4 but I honestly have no idea right now. It's one of those things where you just have to sort of feel how the draft is going. I mean last year I didn't expect Chido and Lewis to still be available when they were. It worked out. Maybe it will work out in this draft as well. But I don't think you can pass up the best player in the first round being a WR simply because you think there will be guys left in the third/fourth round. You really don't know if that will be the case at that point in the draft.

I mean I love the DT depth as well but I'm not passing up Vea for a guy in the fourth.
My thoughts as well. We badly lack talent - and specifically guys that can get open - at WR. I don't feel like our free agent acquisitions really addressed that need appreciably. A guy like Calvin Ridley would be ideal because he's plug and play and ready to go. DJ Moore is probably not plug and play but may well be the better player in the long run. He would be more of a long-term investment.

I'm not sure you can necessarily find that quality later in the draft. A bunch of guys with average traits. Kirk is a slot guy. Sutton is raw and not that explosive - boom/bust player. Washington is kind of slow and freelances his routes. I like Calloway a lot but he's a damn thug who you really can't count on at all. I would commit sepiku if he was the only WR we took. Well, probably not but I will bitch a lot. :unsure

Anywho, the point is you can only draft a guy who is gonna be better than the 6 guys we already have.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would commit sepiku if he was the only WR we took. Well, probably not but I will bitch a lot. :unsure
I definitely had to google that term. But yes I agree with everything you basically said. Although there are some middle round guys I like in this draft that I think have better than average traits. But banking on those guys being there is hard. I mean you might say you want Chark in the second round. But maybe he goes late first or early second. Or one of my favorites Dante Pettis. You might want him in the third round but maybe he goes in the second.

So just banking on "guys" being there doesn't always work. I'm not saying it won't. It's just not something you can rely on. But if we do wait I'd advocate taking a couple WRs.

Cotton

Staff member
Bill Walsh always used to say that over the course of a season games are won and lost according to which team has the better pass rush in the fourth quarter.

So depth on the DL, in theory, equals a better pass rush. And a stellar OL stuffs a pass rush. Or, a stellar OL is opening holes in the fourth quarter so the pass rush is irrelevant.

IMHO, a WR in the first round has to be a gold plated game-breaker, game-changer. I think I'd rather have guys who block and tackle and rush the passer in the fourth quarter in games in late December.
Yep.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I don't disagree with you but there is more than one way to skin a cat. If you look at Superbowls you can see teams that have done it about every way imaginable. There are teams that have won Superbowls with elite secondaries. Teams have won with elite WR corps (Greatest show on turf). Teas have won with elite O-lines (Early 90's Cowboys) and teams have won with elite pass rushes. So I don't know that there is some magic formula. In general I agree build the O-line and D-line because they make everything else easier. Makes it easier to run the ball and pass the ball. And on defense it makes it easier to defend the pass and stop the run. The question is when do you stop? I mean our O-line is pretty studly. Arguably it's time to put some young talent around it and take this thing to the next level. I mean you still need talent around the lines to succeed.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I don't disagree with you but there is more than one way to skin a cat. If you look at Superbowls you can see teams that have done it about every way imaginable. There are teams that have won Superbowls with elite secondaries. Teams have won with elite WR corps (Greatest show on turf). Teas have won with elite O-lines (Early 90's Cowboys) and teams have won with elite pass rushes. So I don't know that there is some magic formula. In general I agree build the O-line and D-line because they make everything else easier. Makes it easier to run the ball and pass the ball. And on defense it makes it easier to defend the pass and stop the run. The question is when do you stop? I mean our O-line is pretty studly. Arguably it's time to put some young talent around it and take this thing to the next level. I mean you still need talent around the lines to succeed.
All true. It could be that I'm emotionally scarred from Jerry's unending quest for the silver bullet WR, and all the disastrous deals he made in search of the WR Holy Grail. He at one time was channeling Al Davis in the belief that winning always boiled down to elite WRs streaking down the field.

There's no question that they need a deep threat -- or two. I just think a WR receiver in the first round needs to be a Randy Moss (minus the personality issues). Otherwise, some truly excellent WRs emerge in the second and third rounds.

Interestingly, the Cowboys have gone from the worship of messiah WRs -- Galloway, Ismail, Glenn, Owens, Williams -- to a reliance on one talented but fading head case in Bryant.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Teams have won all different ways but there is definitely a decisive trend.

Top Bottom